How do you handle GINORMOUS bids?

I received a call to do an estimate for cleaning tile. That means actually cleaning and sealing a bunch of baths and small areas as well as VCT tile. The guy started showing me around at 12 oclock. I took notes thinking it would only take 10 minutes to see everything. An hour and a half later and about 400k sq the questions started piling up for me.

The person in charge was not even there. The guy showing me around didn't have any answers for me. So I really can't get any answers until a later date.

Why do you need me to do this work? Why not just hire a few people and let them do the floors as part of a maintenance crew? He said we have a few people but they have so much to handle that they do not have time to just do floors.

I then see a guy pushing a buffer.

There is a ton of concrete that is indoors. It needs a good cleaning. There is at least 15k sq ft of concrete and they clean it in house with auto scrubbers. Again I am thinking why do you need my services? The guy responded that they are looking for a real good job twice a year. That was a guess on his part though. I told him I could high pressure steam clean the tile, but what takes him an hour to do a section with an auto scrubber would take me five.

The vct looked to be in great shape. I need to talk with the manager to find out if they want a full strip and wax because they spray buff themselves.

I didn't even meaure the job out. He told me they had some insurance guys come in to do measurments in the past and it took 6 hours with two people.

Really the price comes down to time and materials. I told him I would call the main contact tomorrow with a list of questions so I could get further insight as to what they wanted me to accomplish.

Really the best soluton would be to break things up and come in monthly to do a deeper cleaning and let them maintain things the rest of the year.

He did say we are not looking for someone to come in with a buffer and shine our floors up. We can do that. We need a deep cleaning done two times a year.

Now for the carpet. There is all kinds of carpet (nylon, olefin, poly, and even rugs). Some of it is not bad. Some of it needs some serious work. He said they had an individual with some kind of portable but they are looking for faster production and a better job.

I need to get all my questions down first to see if I even want to deal with something like this. I will do the work, but the price will not be cheap. I was joking around and said man this is going to be like 50k for just the tile and the guy said well our utility bill is 75k per month so that is not too bad. Hmmmm.

Really I need to get some answers first before I can begin to even think about how to tackle a job like this.

My recommendation is going to be to do different sections and get all the carpets and tile done in that section at once and use our services on a monthly basis. That way we can make good money, charge more, and not have to kill ourselves.

I may have to go back and measure everything and that will take all day.

I am not doing that though until I have a grasp as to what they actuall want.

Hopefully they will say clean and color seal all the tile, strip and wax all the tile, and clean all the carpet. Ok that will cost several hundred thousand dollars. No kidding.

100k dollars is a drop in the bucket for this place.

Really they need a janitorial staff to come in a few nights a week as oppossed to tryinig to get everything done at once. That just isn't happening.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
danielc said:
Really I need to get some answers first before I can begin to even think about how to tackle a job like this.
Exactly. A few thoughts ...

1. Divide and conquer. Just as you are thinking you need to get a handle on this by divvying it up- both bid wise and logistically. Ask them "So how many floors/ buildings/ units do you have just like this one?"

2. You need to get to the person with the "answers". (Even though you'll be amazed at how clueless even this person is.) The problem is you and the project are very low on their totem pole of priorities. So they aren't going to invest much thought and initiative in it.

3. Once you do find the Decision Maker you must be efficient and professional. These folks are very ADD, especially on something that basically is boring to them like maintenance of the facility. (See #2 above.)

4. Ask the manager if he has Fire Egress maps or other simple schematics of the property that you can get copies of. This will help you get a handle of what you are dealing with plus you can incorporate these into your proposal.

5. Do you know what your production rates are? If you don't everything becomes a guessing game and when you are talking a proposal this size and you guess wrong it will be a disaster!

Let us know how it goes,

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS We have a one sheet Commercial Carpet Analysis form that will help you structure this initial interview with a prospect plus you actually get good information to price the job. Here is the download:

http://sfs.jondon.com/1972/resources/pa ... t-analysis

GeneMiller said:
Big jobs are just a bunch of little jobs in one spot.

gene

It's funny you put it like that because my father who knows nothing about what I do told me to do one section or a small part to show them what I can do. If they like the work, I can continue. Trying to do so much work at once is going to hamper the quality of the job. Doing weekly or monthly service focusing on a section at a time will allow for a better job, a higher price, and will not be as invasive. I want to get paid as I go. I think this is the best situation. This could be a great commercial account. Really I just want to show them what I can do with the carpet, but for now they have their sites set on getting the VCT, tile, and concrete done.

My sx12 would be hard to clean concrete with. I would need a tool on wheels so to speak. I have seen one before. There is a ton of concrete. Ideally I could

Steve is right. This is called maintenance and is probably a mundane topic to them. They should not expect to get everything done at once. There is just too much. I am going to try and sell them on a better job and reliable service. It would take an army to do all of this work in a week. Trying to produce insane rates is going to hinder performance. I'm reapeating myself but I will only do this job if they can agree to my prices, pay as I go, and get set up on some kind of schedule.

Am I wrong for not wanting to talk numbers until I have an idea of what they will pay. There is no way I am going to put a bid in to do it all at once. I can't agree to a price for everything and then break the work up over a period of time. Does this make any sense?

RickL

Daniel the times this has happened to me in every case,when I met with the decision maker it came down to a visit from some
either higher up in the org or a influential person visiting. (not saying this is your case just been mine....everytime).
To pull off 3 of them on the time frame requested I had to bring other cleaners that were freinds of mine and pay them quite a bit more but than a helper but built it into the price.
I agree sit down with the decision maker and figure out what he is really looking for and why. But I wouldn't walk away just get with other cleaners and spread the wealth a bit if that's what it takes.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Daniel,

You have NEITHER..the time,experience,equipment, or the personnel to BID on this job...!!!

You will lose more money.."Getting Ready" to "GET READY"...than you can IMAGINE.. :!:

In a PERFECT world..."you can NOT pull this one OFF..".. :idea:

Focus on building & retaining your RESIDENTIAL client base...!!!!

All that "glitters is NOT gold"..Don't WALK.......................RUN.... :!:

IF you put all your "EGGS" in this "BASKET"....it could "BUST YOU".... :shock:

joe harper

Name
joe harper
wpschoch said:
so many quotation marks....head spinning...

sorry about .."ThaT".....billy... :oops:

I will alert a moderator that "YOUR"...scroll button is bRoKeN... :roll:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
actually exclamation pionts, must be below the mason/dixon

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom