How long does it take you to train an employee?

Mikey P

Administrator
With Coit it took 3 days on the truck before they would send a new guy out. :shifty:

I've had guys ready in 5 or six months or nowhere close after a year..
My new guy shows lots of promise. I'm hoping by next May he'll be ready to clean stone, rugs, upholstery etc..

Does the average cleaning tech learn most of what he needs to know just by paying attention to the "crew leader" or does he need classes as well as time around the shop looking at stone and fabric samples to sharpen his ID skills?

What is your method for producing a great employee?

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
We put a new employee on the truck with a lead tech for about 4 weeks.
We then start to cherry pick carpet cleaning jobs only for the first two week they are on their own.
We also send everyone to the IICRC classes for Carpet, Upholstery and Odor.
With our size new guys are on and off with a more experienced cleaner for the first 6 months or so.

I will meet with the new guys weekly to go over what they are learning from the mentor.

Reactions: Mikey P

hogjowl

Idiot™
My boy has been working with me now for about 4 months. I think I could send him out and he could handle any carpet related job, and most upholstery, although I wouldn't let him do the upholstery yet. I am sending him to an upholstery class in October. He also could handle tile and grout without me. His customer skills are better than mine are. (He takes after his Mother.)

His only problem is getting to work on time, and finding the van in the parking lot.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's tough we have had some that are ready after a month others have taken years and some spent years but never did make it. They just didn't have what it took to rise above assistant tech.

It all depends upon what skills they have when they are hired.

If they have good communication skills, fast learners and have the care and concern of delivering a great product then they move up fast. Unfortunately they usually have one or two of the skills-they might be a great cleaner and have the care and concern but no communication skills or they have great communication skills but are "Bulls in a China shop" and don't understand that it's not about speed and every time they yank a hose through the door way it's a negative moment of truth even though there is no physical damage.

The time it takes is really going to be decided on the individual, you can put them though the training but what they absorb and when you are comfortable is all up to the trainee.

Reactions: TomKing and Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom