How long until Google cracks down on duplicate content

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ace said:
How much longer till Google really starts to crack down on multiple listings and duplicate content? I have noticed that search results are becoming saturated with search result resellers. I expect the game will change soon. Only the big names with money like Servicemagic will still be standing.

Good Question. The answer is ...very soon... from what I'm seeing and reading.

The problem is...and Google know this....is every site will have some kind of duplicate content. Whether it be from some other site on the Net or within the boundaries of it's own pages.

The things that effect us would be phone numbers, addresses, headers etc. that really should be the same on every page.

If you think Service Magic doesn't have duplicate content, think again.

Service Magic and plenty other spend tons of money on Google and that has to have some effect on there safety but it won't save them from being blatantly "illegal" or as I like to say "illegoogle".

We will all have to change with the Google's and I know for a fact that Google doesn't want to take a well formulated site out of the mix just "because".

So they will look for clever ways to weed out the black hats while keeping the masses happy.....After all, that's what Google is here for (besides making money).

They want to make sure the searcher gets what the searcher wants....plain and simple.

The key is to give them what they want and not what the website forces them to want.

My Network site has duplicate content on every page but the key it to make every page it's own page as well as staying a part of the website and the general layout.

I'm not as smart as the Google peeps....And I really don't want to be. I'll let them sort it out. There will be errors and some websites might feel it.
You saw how many reviews got lost with the last big update.
You just never know.

The best advice I an give and take is this...

Make your site for the searcher and at the very least you'll have a fighting chance.

What you do to your site from the "outside" may be a little harder to punish but you should try to keep that legit as well.

GCP

Brian R said:
Ace said:
How much longer till Google really starts to crack down on multiple listings and duplicate content? I have noticed that search results are becoming saturated with search result resellers. I expect the game will change soon. Only the big names with money like Servicemagic will still be standing.

Good Question. The answer is ...very soon... from what I'm seeing and reading.

The problem is...and Google know this....is every site will have some kind of duplicate content. Whether it be from some other site on the Net or within the boundaries of it's own pages.

The things that effect us would be phone numbers, addresses, headers etc. that really should be the same on every page.

If you think Service Magic doesn't have duplicate content, think again.

Service Magic and plenty other spend tons of money on Google and that has to have some effect on there safety but it won't save them from being blatantly "illegal" or as I like to say "illegoogle".

We will all have to change with the Google's and I know for a fact that Google doesn't want to take a well formulated site out of the mix just "because".

So they will look for clever ways to weed out the black hats while keeping the masses happy.....After all, that's what Google is here for (besides making money).

They want to make sure the searcher gets what the searcher wants....plain and simple.

The key is to give them what they want and not what the website forces them to want.

My Network site has duplicate content on every page but the key it to make every page it's own page as well as staying a part of the website and the general layout.

I'm not as smart as the Google peeps....And I really don't want to be. I'll let them sort it out. There will be errors and some websites might feel it.
You saw how many reviews got lost with the last big update.
You just never know.

The best advice I an give and take is this...

Make your site for the searcher and at the very least you'll have a fighting chance.

What you do to your site from the "outside" may be a little harder to punish but you should try to keep that legit as well.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
This is what Google has to say about duplicate content:

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=66359

The Basic Cliff Notes of the info is that if you have several sites that are basically the same except for different URLs and a few keywords (like different towns/cities.)

Google may decide to index only one of the sites.

This is now a common way (kind of grey hat) many are using to get their company into other areas without using the (Black hat) fake addresses/PO boxes, multible phone numbers on Google Places all going to the same business.

We'll have to wait for the ax to fall to see what happens.

But, it will happen. Just wonder if it will also, comes with a penalty or long term banning?

Becker

Name
Becker
I hope it takes them awhile. At least till I launch my WP site.

I try to make a few changes to each cities page.

But majority of content is the same. Working just fine for now.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I only bring it up because I learned the hard way you can get banned for spam.

My idea was to flood the first page of Google with my sites that had just slightly different text and meta tags. It was working and I was crawling my way up the ranking. I found some typos and allot I wanted to change so I figured it was easier to upload copies of the master site then go back and change them a bit. Google indexed 4 domains with exact same content before I got a chance to change them a bit. My rankings tanked! I am now on the 3rd page.

I read the Google webmaster tools article that Dave just posted and am putting the advice into practice. I am permanently forwarding 3 of the domains to the master site than installing searchable links to sister sites optimized for different cities. This is much more transparent.

Google want unique, local and relevant content.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Ace was friendly, flexible and reliable! They did a great job cleaning my daughter's carpet. They used organic products and also put scotchguard on it too for a great deal! I would highly recommend Ace for carpet cleaning services
Brian R. - Eudora, KS

They stood by the very reasonable price they quoted over the phone. I was nervous at first just from hearing stories of other companies quoting one price then telling them another price later. That was definitely not the case with Ace Cleaning. They were very friendly and professional. They did a great job and our couch looks fantastic. I will definitely use them again.
Dave Y. - Eudora, KS

I'm redoing the sites now and using mikeysboards names for the fake reviews blowme blowme blowme

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
ACE said:
Ace was friendly, flexible and reliable! They did a great job cleaning my daughter's carpet. They used organic products and also put scotchguard on it too for a great deal! I would highly recommend Ace for carpet cleaning services
Brian R. - Eudora, KS

They stood by the very reasonable price they quoted over the phone. I was nervous at first just from hearing stories of other companies quoting one price then telling them another price later. That was definitely not the case with Ace Cleaning. They were very friendly and professional. They did a great job and our couch looks fantastic. I will definitely use them again.
Dave Y. - Eudora, KS

I'm redoing the sites now and using mikeysboards names for the fake reviews blowme blowme blowme

No need to fake reviews.

Here is a new review I just got.

“excellent clean sweep” 5 stars
Guest, Friday, May 27, 2011
This review is for: Royal Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
Royal Carpet Cleaning got out a stain that I thought was impossible!!! They are always here right on time or early. the service people are pleasant and CARE about what they do. I HIGHLY recommend this carpet cleaning service.

-I still don't get the title-

Mike, your websites all look the same to me.

About the same as Becker's clones

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
The truth is that vary few carpet cleaners get unsolicited online reviews. Most of the reviews on the master site are from thank you letters and notes others are SEO. I’m going to work on a program to get online reviews form my customers once I finish working on the site(s)

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Dave Yoakum said:

That’s because you’re not a search engine.
It’s really hard to create good SEO with enough word density for more than one city. My new take on it is that if I link all the sites, Google shouldn’t punish me for deception / spamming. The sites are unique because they are optimized for searches in each city I service

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
ACE said:
Dave Yoakum said:

That’s because you’re not a search engine.
It’s really hard to create good SEO with enough word density for more than one city.

How hard can it be 2 of those cities have a population of under 5K?

We are not talking major metro.

More like the entering and leaving town signs are on the same post.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Content is only partly the reason a site get's indexed for more than one city.

I can index one site for all cities....but why?

I would rather have different pages for each city so the content matches the search....for the SEARCHERS not the Googles.

Mikey P

Administrator
5769770193_85dd86cd1e_o.gif

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
We just had our area carpet cleaned by these guys and they did a great job! They were very professional from beginning to end. They were excellent at communicating when they would arrive for pick-up and delivery, so i was never left hanging around and waiting for them to show up. They explained the cleaning process to me, and answered all of my questions. And most importantly, they cleaned the carpet! It came out very nice...and cat urine is a difficult smell to overcome! So, thank you, Ace carpet guys and here's to a job well done!
Mike P Eudora, KS

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I don't think you need separate sites for each city. List your areas of service a few times on each page. Your title can be something like "carpet cleaning city | city | city carpet cleaning"

Either way when you get what you want to do squared away then sign up for google webmaster and request that your site to be reconsidered.

Albert

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom