How many of you have techs that LOVE to use a RX20?

Mikey P

Administrator
just curious...

Do they take it off the truck with enthusiasm?
Because you'll fire them if they don't use it?
They don't get anything else but a four inch edger wand?
They get to decide when and where?
Rusted shut?

Ryan

Well I'm not a tech, but I owned one for a total of one week before selling it back to the guy I bought it from.

I hated the thing. I would rather scrub with a 175, the use a high flow wand any day. Not that it didn't do a good job, just too many dang cords and hoses all over the place.

My method is to prespray, scrub everything down, then take the scrubber out of the house and bring in the hoses and wand. The RX-20 was a serious glitch in my system and went way slower then using a 20" scrubber followed by a 14" wand.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I am about 70% on my rx and 30% wand......

I did a house the other day that just did not want to play nice in one of the down star rooms......went to the truck and grabbed the RX and it flushed it right out....

Did a real nasty Berber today with my new guy and let him run the thing and he loved it...carpet came out real nice......

they are heavy.and they can be a pain to get up and down stairs.....good glides.good jets the machine can flush the hell out of carpets......and I don't have to set 4 AP's all over the place.....

Mikey P

Administrator
I don't care about you One Truck Wonder Boys, I want to know if your monkeys have been trained to really desire to do a great job despite the pain doing so can create.

Alexarz

Mikey P said:
I don't care about you One Truck Wonder Boys, I want to know if your monkeys have been trained to really desire to do a great job despite the pain doing so can create.

Good question but I don't think it is possible. It can be very frustrating.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We don't own an RX, but we have 4-Power Glides and a couple of RDM's.

We use the Power Glides more for commercial work. My tech's are too young, they would much rather sling a wand than unload a machine. I must say that with glides it isn't as hard as it use to be.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Mikey P said:
"trained to really desire to do a great job"? Good question, Mike. I'm not sure you can "train" that- someone either takes pride in their work or they don't. And of course like all multi-truck operators we were constantly sifting our candidates looking for those special "keepers". (You'll find out.)

However, even with the "less than perfect" tech (yes, we had those too) you CAN insist on following consistent procedures. Since our target market in residential was middle class to wealthy high-end homes here was our routine procedure for the actual extraction cleaning of padded saxony carpets:

1. Pre-spray all open areas.
2. Move furniture out the width of the furniture and a little more from the wall. (Techs were instructed to look for possible bleeder furniture such as darkly stained antiques. However, we seldom had this problem at least in our area and if something bled it could be easily cleaned up while we were there.) Extract this area including edging the baseboards with a scrub wand.
3. Replace furniture and block/tab.
4. Switch hoses over to RX-20 and clean and double extract all open areas.

The only exceptions to this were berbers with problem seams (don't ask how I learned about this one) and highly delaminated carpets.

When I did my routine "just stopping by" random checks and found an employee not following this procedure he received one written warning and a stern talking to. The second time was three days off without pay. Third strike and he or she was out.

Yes, rotary extraction does create an extra layer of work and more equipment to be brought in. However, the consistently higher quality work it provided in the open areas was more than worth it IMO.

Enforcing rotary extraction was a "challenge." (Most techs are interested in one thing- themselves and what can make their life easier.) However, employees work according to a routine. When you move to a multi-truck company you just have to be sure it is YOUR routine they are following, not one they invented themselves.

Steve
SFS.JonDon.com

PS Interestingly, after my ill-fated sale of the company one of the first things out technicians did was convince the new owner to mothball all of our RX-20's. Things went downhill from there on many different fronts.

BTW, while I was a huge believer in rotary extraction for high end residential we seldom used it on our regular contract commercial work. I found that a) on direct glue down low pile carpet the five extraction heads had a hard time getting good extraction, b) it tended to distort the pile and c) since we were cleaning most of these jobs every month anyway a scrub wand (or low moisture cleaning) did a more than adequate job plus slice and dice it anyway you want rotary extraction is slower than a 14" wand. Your results may vary.

Got them brainwased to use a 175 scrub to sell/use it when need it....best of both worlds. I hated that electric cord and its fookin slow! Plus with the 175 you do the areas that only need it and wand/glide the rest....same amount of time OR LESS (more likely).

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I never did like the RX20...or as chem -dry called it the "Powerhead" :roll:

Awkward to use, left the carpet wet, PITA to deal with and I would get better results with a 175 scrub, steam, post bonnet combo.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like it because you can clean forever and not get tired. It is slower in a residential if there are contents. And yes, the cord becomes a hassle, but I do believe it cleans better and for fat old dogs like me it becomes the "Great Equalizer".

Last month I cleaned 5,000 sq/ft with one while the tech helped other units. It was still work, but my fat *SS would have never been able to clean that much.
In fact those tech's that worked that day came back with a real appreciation for Powerheads.

Name
Steve Lawrence
Both my lead techs lean toward RX-20 with hole glides a lot. But, yes, it is slower but the results are well worth it in many jobs. We have many customers who feel our work is superior to the competition because we do rotary extract. With glides, 2.5" vac hose, 240 degrees and Airpath our jobs dry fast.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Mikey P said:
just curious...

Do they take it off the truck with enthusiasm?
Because you'll fire them if they don't use it?
They don't get anything else but a four inch edger wand?
They get to decide when and where?
Rusted shut?

Ok...JugHead... :roll:

I have let you flap that JAW long enough..about you NEW toy...

It is a competent tool..But.. it is NOT the best tool..
The RX20..will out CLEAN the roto-suck...in every situation... :!:
The RX has a proven track record & holds its VALUE @ the time of re-sale.... :!:

The roto-suck...is TOO lightweight in it's construction to SURVIVE the hours or ABUSE
that a "Multi-Truck" operation will DEMAND... :!:
The motor is too small and will eventually FAIL....under constant use..."IMO"... :idea:

An 18 HP briggs & a 36 blower...will clean carpet.. :roll: ....BUT under the high volume
of Square Footage we NEED clean...It would be fried in 2 years... :roll:

YoUr "little 360"..will perform well with minimal use..BUT IT WILL NOT FINISH THE RACE :oops:

I..don't ASK my employees to use the proper tool for the job...I..TRAIN them to choose the
proper TOOL... :!: A specialty tool require a specialty PRICE... :idea: My men are paid on
commission...Sooo every time they use the RX...they are making MORE money... !gotcha!

Other than the FACT..that YOU got it below cost or FREE... :shock: I can see NO reason for
THE HARD SELL...you are doing on this PRODUCT... Ivebeensold In the PAST...you have always...PROMOTED the product that was the most durable & the highest powered... !gotcha!
Why the CHANGE in attitude..HIGH QUALITY...equipment will always require a LARGER investment "UP-FRONT".. :!: :!: :!: :!:

Ps I am NOT slamming the RV360i..or..smaller Truckmunt's..You asked for my opinion...NOW
you have IT..! Saving a $1000.00..differance between the 360 & the RX20...Is NOt a smart investment in MY WORLD... :idea:

Pss When did you become "MORE" than a 1 Truck operation.. :?: blowme :mrgreen:

Name
Jesse
Our rx only get used in 2 situations. If there is only one tech on a big greasy commercial job. If we're doing 10,000sf+ of trashed retail we will usually have 1 tech pre-scrubbing/treating, 1 with the rx wide open, 1 moving fans & bonneting.

It's hard enough to teach an employee to run a wand properly. I personally think a zipper wand would be the best and easiest tool to train a new helper with. Take this girl for instance. She insisted I let her run the wand. I told her it was not as easy as it looked. She didn't do that bad, but I am confident with a zipper she could have knocked out some production, but she did her job well (moving tables). She is a hard worker but will not be an everyday worker. She caught my attention when she said she loved doing hard work (tree work and cutting grass).

So I do plan on getting a zipper eventually not from a performance standpoint but for its ease of use.

y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk6pcWI2Sjky]

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Harp wrote
BUT under the high volume
of Square Footage we NEED clean...It would be fried in 2 years...

2 years would be a pretty good amount of time for the price.

If it's easier to use, bring out and put back etc. It will save time and effort as well.
Looks like it will clean well if used properly and a carpet can only get so clean....which is completely.

A tech friendly tool is the best kind of tool to have. They will use it more often instead of trying to short cut it. And the customer will love it and love the job because of it. They will still know that you did everything needed to get it clean.

I've used the Rx20 and they are too much of a PITA to bring out every job.

If it's heavier than a wand...then it's heavy enough.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Brian R said:
Harp wrote
BUT under the high volume
of Square Footage we NEED clean...It would be fried in 2 years...

2 years would be a pretty good amount of time for the price.

If it's easier to use, bring out and put back etc. It will save time and effort as well.
Looks like it will clean well if used properly and a carpet can only get so clean....which is completely.

A tech friendly tool is the best kind of tool to have. They will use it more often instead of trying to short cut it. And the customer will love it and love the job because of it. They will still know that you did everything needed to get it clean.

I've used the Rx20 and they are too much of a PITA to bring out every job.

If it's heavier than a wand...then it's heavy enough.

Read the THREAD.....DoUcHeBaG... :roll:

I was talking about the smaller Truckmount........GeeeeeeeeZ

Quit "Sucking-UP"...to JuGhEaD....He doesn't NEED your SuPPoRT.... :lol:

Don't you have some HoUsEHolD chores to finish before BeDtImE.... :roll: :mrgreen:

Remember ....you CAN'T AFFORD...ANY EQUIPMENT..... :p :oops:

Ps..The LiPStIcK you sent ME was the WRONG shade... :shock: :lol: :lol:
marykay.jpg

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ah, the burn out part...oops.

But I still think it's better tool because of the size and weight...I have no idea how well it cleans..but from what I've seen and common sense, it's more Tech friendly and it should clean easier than a wand.

Remember ....you CAN'T AFFORD...ANY EQUIPMENT

Your right but not for the reasons you think. !gotcha!

Mikey P

Administrator
Harper I know for a fact that you have not used a 360i so your whole post was nothing more than the bullshit you spew to get 12 year old girls to sit on your lap.

The i kicks ass in every aspect.

So far.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Mikey P said:
Harper I know for a fact that you have not used a 360i so your whole post was nothing more than the bullshit you spew to get 12 year old girls to sit on your lap.

The i kicks ass in every aspect.

So far.

"I don't sleep with 50 year old "FAT" women ..EITHER... :roll:

What is YOUR point..... :?:

I can TELL by looking at the "TOY".... That ....IT"....is NOT going on MY truck.... :!:

Just like "HER" ..Fat AsS..aint gittin in my BED..... :shock:

Run what you can AFFORD...:oops: "Mr. bIgTimE truck & 1/2 oPeRaToR".... :roll: :oops: :lol:

You would ..THINK....You could have saved your "pennies" you wAsTeD on that "ToY"... :!:
And bought a DECENT van to mount the C-4 into... !dork! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wait for it...............................................................................this could be BAD... :x

Mikey P

Administrator
I don't know if you ever spent the night with a woman Joe.

Just lots of naive chickieboppers.

The God you claim to live for will see to it that genital herpes is in your future.
If not take that as a sign of lots of wasted Sundays.

As for your opinion on the 360i, does the line "it's not the size of the unit mam, it's how you use " sound familiar to you?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom