How many of you use a 3/8th's pressure hose to the wand?

3/8ths Hose

• 3/8 with a 1/4 whip

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Al

I used it for years, heavy as heck, never had one blow though.

Greenie

G'head give it go for a day.

Then you'll see that just turning up your pressure 50 psi and using 1/4" is better. THe wand's plumbing limits water flow, so 3/8" can only deliver more operating psi (less pressure drop per 50' section), but it can't deliver more actual flow. It is handy though, you'll keep it for that occasional long commercial job, there it will earn it's keep.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I had 3/8" when I bought my first truck in 96. Boy was I glad to replace it with 1/4".
Heavy
Awkward
I had the 3/8" quick connects, more expensive and harder to come by (got a box of them here if anyone wants them)

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
2.5" vac hose, 2' vac hose to wand instead of 1.5", and 2" wand tube instead of 1.5" wand tube.

All heavier and larger.

So why not 3/8" solution hose instead of 1/4"? There is only 4 or 5 feet of hose off the ground during cleaning. How much extra weight is that, a few ounces?

If it maintains heat and pressure better and lasts longer, along with better flow (high pressure washing), Why Not 3/8?

Greenie

Loren, by all means g'head. I'm not saying you are wrong, but since you asked, here is my take:
2" lead and 2.5" vac are necessary for super suck, 3/8" hose is not necessary for super rinsing, and it can be argued how much more heat it does or does not hold, one thing I know for sure, it does not move water any faster when a wand has restrictive 3/16" plumbing, so at the end of the day I choose a python vac hose, and a super lightweight solution line.

Now, I will temper my comments above with There is alsways an exception to the rule, if you are strung out 400' on a commercial job, 200' of 3/8" is not a bad investement, but for your 100' routine residential....I'll pass.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
don't bother Greenie

you've heard of the "Bane washed" cult?

there are still members of the Tru-Blue Team too.

I love my my big loud Powermatic, but the 3/8 hose was the first thing to go.
It's just not needed for day in day out CCing

vEEgs, change the QD to 1/4" on that PM.
ALL the tools on ALL your trucks should be compatable with each other.

sell that 3/8 steel braid to one of the dudes that has been convinced it's worth the hassle

..L.T.A.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
I used to use 3/8 hose with my Powermatic. Switched to 1/4. Lot lighter, easier to roll up, also with the Powermatic, it does not take so long to get hot. Like it alot better than 3/8. Have had the 3/8 hose blow up on me before. Easier to find 1/4 hose ends to replace blown ends. Did use 1/4 couplers as well instead of the 3/8 couplers.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Well, I guess for those times that 3/8 hose can make a difference, you don't have to carry extra hose because of having two different sizes.

At least it doesn't really hurt cleaning performance to use 3/8.

Just to be clear, I have toyed with the idea of using 1/4 hose. It is cheaper and lighter. I would have likely want to change all my QD's to 1/4 though, including my tools. I suppose I would not have to change them.

My son in law called me last night. He mistakenly got sent 1/4 inch hose with 3/8 threaded ends. I told him to use it as it should not be a problem.

I used to use 1/4 hose for a while way back when I lived in Minnesota. Surprised? :eek:

Loren

P.S. It is kind of fun though, to let other cleaners see me running my Powermatic with 2.5 inch vac hose and 3/8 inch solution hose, eh? :wink:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Loren Egland said:
Well, I guess for those times that 3/8 hose can make a difference..

when would that be, Loren?
Honestly, when's the last time you used more than 200ft of sol line?
I'd venture a guess it's extremely rare you're ever over 150ft.

We ain't getting any younger, Brother.
there's no need to make work harder than it needs to be.

..L.T.A.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Larry

I was speaking in general, not specifically for myself.

You are right, of course, I never use over 200 feet of hose, though I did use that much for the first time in years last month.

As to your other question, I pressure washed my deck before I stained it. That was the last time I needed the 3/8" hose, though a case could be made that I could have done so with 1/4 inch hose, even if it took longer due to less flow.

Loren

Scott

meAt said:
don't bother Greenie

you've heard of the "Bane washed" cult?

there are still members of the Tru-Blue Team too.

I love my my big loud Powermatic, but the 3/8 hose was the first thing to go.
It's just not needed for day in day out CCing

vEEgs, change the QD to 1/4" on that PM.
ALL the tools on ALL your trucks should be compatable with each other.

sell that 3/8 steel braid to one of the dudes that has been convinced it's worth the hassle

..L.T.A.

Didn't say I liked 3/8" Neptune; I just said it lasts a lot longer than 1/4" Neptune.

Scott

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom