HOW MANY PAY FOR TM SERVICE?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
At a recent dist BBQ I was alarmed at how many paid the distributer to change oil or other minor things to their TM machine.

Now I am no mechanic but I can grease my blower, change belts and oil and figure out what to do if the machine hic ups.

But I can understand with all the doo hickeys they put on those hydramasters/Prochems and Bluelines you might need a brain surgeon to figure them out.

But to pay somebody to replace TWO spark plugs is ridiculous!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Can you tell us how much would one of your units cost?

A link to your machines and pictures?

hogjowl

Idiot™
If they're anything like his vac. booster, then they are way over hyped and over priced.

If they exist at all.

I'd use my local distributors service if I had one. I'm often too busy to get the job done myself, without having to do it on nights or weekends.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Watch out Marty he's a lot more sensitive than he lets on.

Expect numerous calls.

Jimbo

You sods will eat your words when we Have to use Electric Truckmounts...I can think of one manufacturer that will most likely NOT be selling you one!

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I do my own maintenance, oil changes, plugs, filters, change out the coupler once in a while(500 hrs or if it starts to show wear), thats all there is to maintain EXcept the cleaning of the waste tank once in a while. I use to pay for troubleshooting and repair when I had a steamway mastermatic with the kerosene heater which could be troublesome. I believe Simple heat exchange or propane units is the way to go in slide in units. Unless you have employees, then a 2 or 3 button PTO would be the best option. :)

d-day

Same here as Jay .. in fact I just changed the oil/filters this weekend. The only difference is my waste tank is vacuum evacuated, rinsed, and sprayed with Lysol daily - the one thing I never could get used to is waste tank stink.

John Watson

JEM shaft drive, 1988 model Installed in 4th van Have Local, non franchise company change oil in van aprox every 1000 miles or about once a month, I have 4 grease zerks on blower and shaft I give a pump to twice a year if I don't forget. pump and blower oils changed last in 99, don't plan on changing as long as I have it unless it gets contaminated. My unit has sight tubes that show the oil levels and color for both the pump and blower.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jimmy;

Properly engineered Truckmount equipment should be designed for serviceability...

It also helps owner or tech, if he can understand the flow of vacuum and water thru the machine.

Sometimes, it can make the difference between finishing the job or having to reschedule.

Larry

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Walrus said:
At a recent dist BBQ I was alarmed at how many paid the distributer to change oil or other minor things to their TM machine.

Now I am no mechanic but I can grease my blower, change belts and oil and figure out what to do if the machine hic ups.

But I can understand with all the doo hickeys they put on those hydramasters/Prochems and Bluelines you might need a brain surgeon to figure them out.

But to pay somebody to replace TWO spark plugs is ridiculous!

I can do it, but it will take me forever. I am too cautious when I turn wrenches on anything. I cost the company 30 dollars an hour, and with how long it takes me to do these things, it's better to pay the distrib to do it. They keep all the truck's records and remind me when it needs service, anticipate what is going to fail next, and replace wearing parts before I have a breakdown. I think it's worth it, but they don't charge an arm and a leg, and because we have such a good relationship, I never get charged for minor fixes and quick adjustments on the machine.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I made no sarcastic about ODIN's TM but wanted info.

The comment about him being sensitive was correct.

RichardnTn

Always done my own work, overhaul and help others....In 25 years, I let a so-called reputable dealer do some work for me.... lost 2 days works, 2 nights in a motel and 2 trips to %^&$#U**. I had to basically re-engineer a unit from a top TM manufacture because it was a POC. They took it off the market after a year or so with absolutely zero help from them... RR

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
to answer your question. some people just don't have the time and patience to do it themselves. I wish i could just drop my stuff off to someone who i knew would take care of it. and tends to be the people with the money who do it most.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
if you don't do all your own maintenance and repairs...........learn how and put it on a schedule............

it will save you a ton of money and headaches...........

once you learn your equipment..............if you have a problem while you are cleaning.most the time you can take care of it and continue on...........

not to mention a competent mechanic are far and few between...........

I have several TM's and I used to take them to the local disty's for service. After numerous years of being hosed out of thousands upon thousands, crappy repairs and wrong parts installed I now repair everything myself.

YOU CAN OUTSOURCE JUST ABOUT ANYTHING!!!

I realize now that you don't need a disty, esp. if they are going to hose you on a regular basis.
So the end result has been stronger running units, better dry times, less breakdowns, little to no downtime and many 1000,s saved per year.

Robert Allen in Va., thanking the crappy disty's for helping me attain my OWN peace of mind and a fatter wallet!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The local distributor does all the preventative maintenance on the units and emergency repairs when needed.

I'd rather the tech's be cleaning than risk them screwing up a simple oil change.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I take my 450 MAXX in for service every 200 hours just because it is a pain in the butt to change all the fluids and they just kind of check it all out while it is there

but I have changed the belts and small things when needed

I have done all the maintenance on the V so far

hogjowl

Idiot™
You know, with gas prices going up and up, I wonder if we'll start seeing more Savage 1 owners posting about their performance? Surely Bob will be able to sell a few and have folks posting about them.

I'd love to see actual pictures of working units in vehicles and hear from actual users how they perform.

Kinda like Doodaddy's buyers.

Where are they all?

breathe72

Jimmy, I didnt see ya at the BBQ.

But I was in and out like a one inch penis that day.

Christ, I had no idea there were that many carpet cleaners in Omaha.

I never see those vans on the streets.

As for maintenance......

I try and do all my stuff in my shop.

Makes you become one with your unit.

(no, not THAT unit)

Becker

Name
Becker
Heck no!

All pretty easy.

I've only had a TM in the shop once.

Otherwise I have pretty much completely rebuilt one myself.

That reminds me I'm due for a oil change.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I do most maintenance myself I actually change my oil every 50 hours.

I had a problem that when I put the ignition switch to run it would try to start that is when it took it in.

they all scratched their heads (that means i spent money) All it was, was a 19.00 part and i got charged 510.00.

diode, damn it

they did let me rent a van with a truckmount in it for 100.00 a day which was kind of nice.

After that happened, i was sold on the live solution reel and mounted one on TOP of my machine .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom