How many people do top down drying?

Name
Nate W.
What's the pro's and con's of top down drying? I assume you'd use heat to speed it up? We've always floated padded carpet unless it's rubber pad.... Why would 1 choose to do top down?

Name
Nate W.
View attachment 6573

I agree with John I think you can use it for wdr & your rugs. Buttt don't blame me like you do for the Powerglide. :winky:

I went against my better judgement while looking at the Powerglide in person....:shifty: I didn't pay much for it so it doesn't bother me, I just like to give you shit for it.... The rover does seem to be a well made/thought out tool..... Something that will get more use than the Powerglide....:icon_twisted:

I just the @rhyde lean method to get most of the water out of non-bleeders then Zipper it to extract.... I'd want a centrifuge spinner as a next step.... Time is something I don't have much of....:dejection:

Name
Nate W.
You need to get with Tom King and see his new setup. He said it good quality at a savings.

I seen his setup, looks nice... I also looked into RugTech equipment offerings.... I'd need to know the pro's/con's of both wringers before I decide.... Maintenance is a big thing for me as I need to do it myself because were out in BumF*ckEgypt...........

Reactions: Desk Jockey

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Top down or "in place" drying is another popular option for drying. The pro's are you only have to disengage a small corner of carpet to check for a porous carpet cushion so you are less likely to damage the carpet or seams when handing a wet carpet. In place drying requires more drying equipment and less labor so it is more profitable.

The cons are you are not getting warm dry air to the carpet cushion so a thorough extraction of the carpet and cushion, increased vapor pressure differentials between the wet material and ambient air, as well as the sub floor temperature well above dew point are crucial to successful in place drying. In place drying usually requires more equipment on the job and more effective equipment so your initial equipment costs are more.

Big Jim

Name
James Milne
In place drying should only be considered on Cat 1 losses, Cat 2 would generally require pad removal according to the S500. Additional consideration should be given to the potential for microbial growth based on dry time.

Last edited:
Name
Nate W.
I've done a few small top-down drying jobs.. I've used the water claw followed by the zipper... The wicking of the walls weren't that bad considering the source of the leak was a downspout over flowed between the walls... The wettest part of the wall was cut out to find the source... I used a airpath and dehu to do top-down drying... The carpet/pad dried in 1 day, the other walls took 2-3 days to dry then had a repeat flood as it stormed hard.... The second time wasn't too bad but additional days to dry out was required... It was a ground floor with concrete subfloor...

I get that it depends on the subfloor and pad if your able to do top-down drying.... IMO I think its more possible/efficient with the sub-surface extraction tools available...

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom