How much furniture do you move?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Just saw the sticky tab holder thread and thought I'd ask in a separate thread. With all the gadgets it looks like there's a lot of furniture moving going on.

I'll move a few pieces and at times nothing at all. There's times I go days without having to use furniture sliders. I'm still not done with the case of styrofoam squares I bought when I got into this thing (May, 2004).

Sometimes I do spend a few minutes with the customer getting stuff out of the way, but they put it back when the carpet's dry.

Is this just a lazy California thing ? :lol:

Albert

Mikey P

Administrator
Same here Albert.

I had a whopper today though.
We had to completely empty some of the rooms of all kinds of delicate artsy fartsy junk. We spent a good hour shuffling before the Sanitaire was turned on.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
on the average I move about 4 to 5 items........

I carry 4 sets of sliders and have never been in the need for any more....

Name
Ron lippold
less and less all the time i try to tell them i will clean all visible carpet, if they want it moved i just price accordingly.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I push for cleaning open carpet as well. Don't really move much stuff at all. I think it was Jimbo who used the line ... "we're not Benkins"

John Watson

It also varies on how many pieces we move, on average it is 4 - 5 per house. We also live in an area that alot of the clients live in 10 lb houses but have 20 lbs of furniture.

Claude set it up years ago, if the client wants it moved and it is feasible and MT we move it. And yes, we charge accordingly. Still do alot of those old time clients.

We have found it easier for us to go through at the start and put all things on sliders that we will be moving. Do we use all our sliders every time, NO, but now and again we wish we had another set or two.

We have also found alot of clients will have the contents moved out totally from the room and unless we mention to them that we can move the bigger pieces for them, a longer period lapses between cleanings.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Usually dont move anything, except for a few items at most. We tell them on the phone that there will be a surcharge for moving items, so most people are prepared.

maker

Couches, tables chairs. However if they have a ridiculous amount of small items on the floor I would just put all the small stuff up on the couches , tables, and beds and not move anything else.

Name
R.J. Povio
Things we do NOT move: big glass topped tables, wall units, pianos, fish tanks or any kind of animal glass aquariums, some antique pieces due to bleeding and or being too fragile, some beds, cabinets with breakable stuff in them, bars, tv stands, some desks, and junk press board stuff that might fall apart upon moving.

What we ask of customer when setting up appointment on phone. Please remove all breakables from the tops of tables, knick knacks, kids toys, flower pots, vases and any clutter on the floor.....leave lamps on tables or where they are in case of a dark day. Move the light stuff if you can we will take care of all other objects except what I mentioned above

Rex Tyus

We move chairs, sofa's, end tables other light furniture.

Disclaimer: No Beds, Heavy Cabinetry, dressers with mirrors attached, or electronic items. All breakables on items you wish to be moved must be to a secure location.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I'm appalled at the replies. I read over on ICS that if you don't move every single piece of furniture you are a hack.

Now, to answer the question. I move most of the reasonably movable pieces. There's one retirement village I don't send marketing to anymore because most of these rich old farts have a dozen pieces of antique crap in every room and expect every one to be cleaned under.

I'll take the middle aged yuppie crowd any day.

LeeCory

I am surprised also that nobody seems to move any furniture, and sometimes it's hard to believe that we are talking with people in the same business.

Of course sometimes there isn't anything to move, but there were always many people that were not as prepared as I would think they should have been. Because of their thoughtlessness we would do more than we should have.

Now I am advertising a discount for those that either move their own things or just cleaning open areas. It seems many people will move their own stuff for a discount. And it helps that because of my ad that they call already expecting to do so.

TimP

I move sofas, ls, recliners, chairs, end tables, dining room tables, baby beds on wheels. Sometimes night stands if there is room. No beds, dressers, book cases, entertainment centers, electronics, cluttered items, anything heavy unless they ask and beg and sometimes I'll move one or two with some sliders. Actually most of my customers don't want items moved others are shocked that I'll do it for free. I tell them I move LR furniture cause most people do rearrange and it should be clean all over if they do. If they never move the furniture there isn't much point though.

tim

Like most, we move what we need to move to get to the dirt. No dressers, beds, entertainment centers or china cabinets. I am surprised at how people react when you dont move everything. It often times seems as though you are trying to cut corners. I tell them that we move anything necessary and within reason to reach the soiled areas. I ask them if they have been walking under their dresser alot. They of course respond no, so I then tell them there probably isnt alot that needs cleaning under there. Ususally lightens the mood and they start to understand. I also explain that the more we move, the more we block which creates more work for them to remove.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom