How much should a fuel tap kit cost?

Jeff Brown

Name
Jeff Brown
What does a fuel tap kit consist of and how much should one cost?
I was taken back a bit on some prices I found, I assumed there wasn't much to a fuel tap, am I wrong?
Thanks

John Olson

Name
John Olson
There is only one maker of fuel taps that I know of and they are all EPA certified which means they had to be tested for each year vehicle they go one. So they either had to by the van or have someone use a van to make and test a kit for it. How they can make them so we can sell them and everyone make money AND be legal at the low price they are is beyond me. With what they have to do and how many they actually sell I think the price is to low.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony

Big ditto - it's an astronomical cost to EPA certify anything involving fuel delivery in the automotive industry.

$1,000,000 to cert a single year, single model engine for CNG, plus $10k per year registration per certification.

Insurance costs are another monster cost.

Jeff Brown

Name
Jeff Brown
Ok, if the EPA is involved than I get it, but what made me question it was a truckmount I had instaled, I believe the guy made a fuel tap with just a few dollars worth of parts, I'm sure the epa was not involved.

Becker

Name
Becker
Things have changed over the years with vans, and machines.

I recall years ago, a simply T fitting in the vent hose with a siphon hose.

Heck I think my 1st TM was instilled with a hose down the filler tub via a slice in the filler neck. ( not my install )

John Olson

Name
John Olson
If​you get into an accident you and your company will be done. If you get pulled over by an over zealous highway patrol your van will be impounded and you will be hit with HUGE fines. None of which the person that installed his illegal fuel tap will help you pay.

Reactions: Vincent Feehan

Becker

Name
Becker
Besides. The newer taps work great. Won't suck the tank dry on a job. Don't screw with filling speed for the most part.

And really is 2-300 to much to pay?

I've installed one before. And will do thus next one. I can imagine with labor it is twice the cost if not more.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
What does a fuel tap kit consist of and how much should one cost?
I was taken back a bit on some prices I found, I assumed there wasn't much to a fuel tap, am I wrong?
Thanks
What year van do you need one for? I paid 240.00 for one from Jon Don for my 2011 Ford e-250.

Last edited:

Jeff Brown

Name
Jeff Brown
Doug, thanks I was getting some pricing on a TM and noticed the price of a fuel tap, didn't understand the price, so I guess whoever I buy a TM from will do the tap.

Don, as I said I didn't know the EPA had their hand in it, so I understand the high price now, not the fault of thoes that sell the taps.
I was shocked at the price because even a dummy like me can see that a fuel tap would consist of about $25, if that much, worth of parts.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Do you know what a fuel tap kit looks like? There is more then $50 in fuel line let alone the other parts.

Last edited:

Jeff Brown

Name
Jeff Brown
Did not consider the fuel line, I guess you can't have a fuel tap kit without the fuel line, but $50 worth of fuel line?
Ok, I won't say anything else or mention fuel tap again, ever!

Jeff Brown

Name
Jeff Brown
Hey just checked out the fuel cell, they're cheaper than a you know what.

Becker

Name
Becker
Thanks John.
Ordered my tap Monday. Installed it today.
Took about 40 mins. Only hard part is that rear hose clamp on the filler neck. Otherwise I think I could have had It installed in like 25 mins.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Fuel tanks are slightly pressurized, with special caps and vent lines to capture and reclaim vapor that in previous years was just vented to the atmosphere. The wrong kind of "hole in the tank" messes with that and triggers codes and potential malfunctions of the vehicle computer functions.

Also newer vehicles have provisions to inhibit fuel spills and fires during crashes and rollovers. The wrong kind of "hole in the tank" will be deadly.

Back
Top Bottom