How often are you going through belts on your slide in units?

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm pretty sure this is my third set in 780 hours..

20130512_121248_zps81f1625a.jpg

I'm snugging them up to what "feels" right and snugging them up again after a few days of replacement, even using this tool to do the centering/tightening..

20130512_122726_zps9a464a2e.jpg

Looks good and straight..

20130512_122809_zps9013f2af.jpg

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Vortex belts last "forever" but they are way LONGER AND RUN much COOLER..

IS THIS THE NORM?

Two very different animals. Three sets of belts on your slide-in in 780 hours. It seems that is about par for the course. I read some guy with a Prochem Peak bragging how he could change his belts in less than 30 minutes; he had to do it every 100 hours:madd:. I did change my belts on the Pro 1200 after 7800 hours, not because they needed it, but, well I can't remember the reason.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Vortex belts I think I changed twice in the 4 years I had it............ and the thermal wave I have already changed once in just over 2000 hours......

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey;

Two things to improve belt life:

1. Better Cooling - try a radiator fan blowing in

2. Matching only Gates belts, we use the same belts,

and try to match lengths for multiple belt drives.

You should get at least 500 hrs from that 3-belt drive system.

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Running a blower on (3) 3/8" belts is a lot to ask especially considering the heat off the shaft side of that engine can exceed 300 degrees and the length of the belt doesn't help either.

My slide in use to eat EPDM direct drive couplers for lunch till I installed a 12" radiator fan to cool the components.

I would install a cooling fan unless you like changing belts often.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Mike I think 500 to 1000 hrs would be normal. So your not way off but definetely premature. I too always second guess how tight to get my belts. I did just replace my belts on the TNT so will see how long they last.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
When I started with my PowerClean I couldn't get 50 hour on a set of belts. I currently have more than 1200 hours on a set with no sign of wear. Heat is the issue and I believe slippage is the biggest cause of heat especially unit with blower heat exchangers. Most of these unit are requiring the belts to do more than they can without slippage. I got rid of the blower heat exchanger and opened up the plumbing. I also run my belts tighter(less than 1/2" deflection) than most other would.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I was having trouble with belts, and tried all different kinds of "premium" belts... I was cleaning on a Saturday and shredded a set. A NAPA dealer was real close by. Figuring the best I could hope for would be a crappy set that might get me through the job. I bought a set of belts that seemed a bit thicker and stiffer than usual. They have been on the machine for several months now. I haven't even had to re-tighten them after the installation.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have something like 1800 hours on my Cheif II and I haven't replaced them yet. I had to adjust them about two months ago. I have had the same spare set hanging on my wall now through two rigs and haven't had to use them yet. Surely it can't just be the heat, cuz it doesn't get much hotter than what we have down here in dixie.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I have something like 1800 hours on my Cheif II and I haven't replaced them yet. I had to adjust them about two months ago. I have had the same spare set hanging on my wall now through two rigs and haven't had to use them yet. Surely it can't just be the heat, cuz it doesn't get much hotter than what we have down here in dixie.

Heat created from slippage is the problem for those who go through belts. Your set up must be well engineered so they're not slipping. Ambient heat is a secondary problem only.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Well engineered? Probably. It's a Truck Mounts and Cleaning Solutions rig. They are simple and NOT OVER ENGINEERED, so I am sure there are some who would consider them under-engineered.

All I know is I am down very little and have very few problems getting things the DO break fixed.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Like Shane, With my Powerclean , slippage was the issue due to the pulleys being too small. I upgraded the pulleys from 5-6 inch to 8-9 inch and haven't changed belts since I did it this last winter. I was changing them every 100- 200 hrs. before. Belts are cheap so it wasn't a big deal, but the pulley on my Nissan engine wore to the point that the belts wouldn't hold any longer. Mike- You should look into the Predator belts if you can get them the correct length. You won't have to worry at all about them ever breaking compared to the tri power belts.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mike Draper

I changed mine at 1,200 hours. They were probably fine though, I just like to be on top of things before there is ever a problem.. I've tightened my belts 2x since I bought the Judson. It could be the heat in your van? My truck has much more space and im sure it is much cooler inside when running. As for the pump belt. Im still running the original belt. Make sure you don't over tighten it or you'll destroy the clutch. General pumps are great, but their clutches are shit!

CrazyRay

Name
Ray Waits
A standard rule of thumb on deflection with 3v belts is 1/64 inch for every inch of length (belt span). Length being measured on top of pulleys center to center. Example, 32 inch run would be 1/2 inch deflection. That's using roughly 5 to 5.5 pounds of force.

Well, here check it out for yourself:

http://www.morbark.com/service/belttension.pdf

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
If the pressure meter flops around kind of sloppy and the belt looks like its getting looser(might be in my head), does that mean its time to swap the belt? I changed the regulator last summer. Do you just wait until it breaks? I've got @ 800 hours on the unit. Thanks!

Russ

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
If the pressure meter flops around kind of sloppy and the belt looks like its getting looser(might be in my head), does that mean its time to swap the belt? I changed the regulator last summer. Do you just wait until it breaks? I've got @ 800 hours on the unit. Thanks!

Russ
The last thing you want is for a belt to break. Believe me, it makes a helluva mess.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
When my 3 belts broke, they disintegrated all over inside my van. Not much left. Thats why I reommend Predator belts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom