How often do you change plugs on TM?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Changed out my first set today on the PC 650hp. Took about am hour since I had to remove top frame
4useda5u.jpg
plate to get to the dang things. They look a little worse for wear, TM was running fine just thought I was past due

Name
Shawn Forsythe
A couple of years ago, we had a new customer come in with his TM to obtain routine 100 hr service. We changed and checked the appropriate fluids, filter and performed all the checks.

When we updated the customer with the time and cost estimate, the customer, questioning the rather low total, asked if we were going to change the spark plugs. We said no, and he advised us that it needed this attention. We had pulled the plugs, and they looked fine and advised him that changing the plugs did not look necessary, and we asked how long had it been since they were last changed. He was quick to retort that it had been a little over 50 hours. We explained that 50 hours was not even close to the recommended, and they were probably good well beyond 200 hours, worst case. We explained that they are checked every 200, and changed only as needed.

It turns out that his prior supplier was, as a matter of course, changing them every 50 hours, advising the customer that he needed to do so. :icon_rolleyes:

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I was guesstimating about every 1,000 hrs. I just kept putting it off but had an afternoon off today (much needed) and decided to use the free time to get her done. I had heard someone say they change them every time they do an oil change which seems to often to me.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
It really varies from engine to engine, pretty widley. That's why it is important to consult the owners manual.

Older, simpler engines take a drastic toll that newer, more sophisticated ignition systems don't. As such, as a rule, but not always, a 4 cylinder engine, that sees duty in more expensive application often have much higher service intervals for the plugs.

Some small two cylinder engines use a relatively harsh spark that often may fire once per revolution (by design), instead of just on the top of the compression stroke. These will degrade the plug tip much more quickly. Engine RPM and load also takes a toll. A two cylinder running at 2500 RPM, versus a 4 cylinder far below 2000, and less load will erode a plug faster, even without the wasted spark.

Small engines also may not have an iridium tipped plug available, that extends life.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
4400 hours on my 650, done the plugs 4 times. Last time at4k did timing belt, water pump, plugs and wires. These motors are super clean burners..

Reactions: BLewis

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Actually the electrodes look to be in pretty good shape and they don't seem to be fouled. I'll bet you could re-gap them and get another 1000hrs. Since they are so cheap, why bother.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I only changed them 3-4 times in my Nissan a15. They always look new when I pull them. I use gr4 NGK. Coming up on 13k. Always runs the same.

Gene

Name
BradFenstermaker
I have always tried to do plugs coming out of every winter. So once a yr. Probably doesn't them but 2 plugs for me is good insurance. Always keep the latest old ones as spare in toolbox under pass seat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom