How tight do you draw your purse in winter?

Mikey P

Administrator
Snow is falling, school has been canceled so you have to watch the kids, the driveway is so frozen you can't back your van out even IF a customer called wanting their carpets cleaned..

Do you even consider buying equipment or chemicals on February 2nd?

Do you wait until after April 15th? or when the schedule is packed is when you have the confidence to spend a few bucks that have been hiding under your warm mattress for months?

I'm looking at the incredible deals we have in the Auction Room right now and realizing how much it must suck to live where you guys have that white stuff...

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hey you need a direct link to the auction page.

I bid on the magnets even after placing an order but I've been out bid twice. I bid on the $500.00 worth of chems and so far am winning! 1/2 Price!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whoo hooo! :pig:

The answer to your question is yes we try not to spend anymore than we have to BUT we have to, so might as well get a good deal when we can. :headbang:

Mike Draper

We can have a profitable winter or a very huge loss winter. It all depends on the the harshness of our winter. This winter has been extremely cold for us. For the most part of Jan we didn't see temps get over 10 degrees and almost a week where it didn't get over 2 degrees until noon with lows as low as -18F. WE only had 1 minor flood which is unusual. We went through 5k in saving this January becuase weve made very little. So were being pretty tight with our $. WE still make our purchases if we have to, but try and hold out until First of April before we start spending bucks again on big purchases. Truly, I like a good deal when its there, but I don't really care to much. As long as the product is a fair price that is good for me. I know I'll make my $ back and much more. Everyone has to make money, even the distributors.

Mikey P

Administrator
Hey you need a direct link to the auction page.

I bid on the magnets even after placing an order but I've been out bid twice. I bid on the $500.00 worth of chems and so far am winning! 1/2 Price!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whoo hooo! :pig:

The answer to your question is yes we try not to spend anymore than we have to BUT we have to, so might as well get a good deal when we can. :headbang:

fixed..

half off Prochem chemicals right now, half off a CRB, $400 off a Aqua Helix drag wand extractor thingiemobob.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ours was actually better than our numbers will show. In the middle of several projects that will bill in February, so Jan looks like a loser when it wasn't that bad.

Jimbo

Just had day #17 snowboarding yesterday....

but I could only do that by preplanning and getting a seasons pass...packing lunch every time.

Purchases of anything during the winter are given critical thought beforehand.

Last edited:

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Actually business expenses, fuel, cheimals, etc etc adjust themselves according to sales. However, we pinch our personal expenses as much as possible in the winter. Also, "see my post" this is the time to hang on to any funds for Uncle Sam!

This January was a roller coaster being up 17% at one time then down -8% at the 3rd week and then a nice week of warmer weather which put us up .07% for the month and this is our biggest January ever but so was last year due to an above average weather in January. I usually buy enough chemical etc in December to get us through middle of March. When everybody else thinks I'm insane for cleaning restaurants this is when I appreciate them the most! I think I helped a fellow cleaner land a 60k per year restaurant client also, boy it was hard to turn that down, but my better judgement told me I had to. I have a larger restaurant client begging me to pick up their pressure washing work so I might add 3-4 of them this year so that will be approximately 31k annually

Able 1

Name
Keith
I usually don't spent too much in the winter, or at least I try not to... I buy enough chems before the winter to have all I need till June.

The only time I will spend money on equipment(besides maintenance) is if I'm saving ALOT the purchase. You should start that CRB out at $1,000..:twisted:

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
My busier season is the winter. When summer temperatures hit above 110 degrees, we slow down a little. Overall, my business fluctuates 10-15% between busy and slow months. I buy things when needed/wanted, just budget for it.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
We had our best month ever in January. Up 68% over last Janaury.

We bought extra chemical in October for 6 months.
We try to limit our expenses in the winter.

We are ordering a new truck this next week to meet demand.
I have been running 3 routes with 2 trucks. We have to have 3 by spring and if things continue will need a fourth later in the year.
Not having a back up can make things very stressful when one goes down.

We have a full time saleman ready to start on Feburary 25 he owned a carpet store sold and retired. He came to us. Great story!

We have been blessed

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I'd like to hear that story..

Btw, you and the boys should catch a red eye to M9F...

Gonna be a great show this year

I called Joe Couch from alladins in South Bend today. We are looking at coming out. I have to be back by Sunday A.M. I am thinking fly in Thursday and we will have to split just after lunch on Satuday last flight back is at 4p.m Southwest. I would like to hear Greg, The commercial workshop. Your panel and be there for the 4pm shoot out. I will know Monday. I will touch base when I book a flight.

My youngest is at college. Jordan is still working for us. We have 3 other techs now and are looking for another 1.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom