How to back out this screw...?

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
shaft to the360i.
This screw has been a sunamagun to take out...Any ideas?

Ron K

Before anything put new screws back in the other holes if you can replace with allen head screws that would be better. Drill a small dia hole on the outside dia of screw head. Use ball peen hammer and a hardened screw driver placed in the
hole to gently tap the screw out. Think of it as taking hammer and screw driver to tap the hand of a clock backwards. Go slow.
This is a kinder gentler "Neuman" method and may work better because there doesn't seen to be much clearance to get an impact drill straight on.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
The extra hard way. Weld a bolt to the stripped head then unscrew as normal.

:).

But what the other guys said. You can get an ez out and or impact driver at harbor freight. When using an EZ-out first drill a small hole into the middle of the stripped head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy L

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
By the looks of the threads in the other holes it is likely aluminum. That screw may not come out so drilling may be your only option. Be sure and use anti seize on new screws.

Reactions: icleancarpetz

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
i used to have same issues with challenger op machines. the counter weight assembly screws always boogered up from moisture and chems. drill a hole deep into screw shaft and use small easy out. start small diam first so you have room too work with it it fails.

once you get used too using easy outs only takes couple minutes use some wd40 while drilling

Reactions: Nomad74

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
One of the most satisfying feelings in the world is when that EZ-out bit grabs a hold and backs the screw out.

when i first used one i broke the drill bit in the screw lol very un satisfying! hence the wd40 lol

• Haha

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Using an impact driver on anything used wet can save grief. When you assemble it later, use a dab of grease.

Mrice

Name
Mat
Above suggestions are good. Sometimes it helps to put a torch on it. A couple times I've drilled out a small hole in the reamed out bolt head and driven an allen wrench into it, one that was just a little too big for the hole, then grabbed the right angle with the vice grips and cranked her out.

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Do NOT heat the bolt itsef....as that will expand the bolt making it harder to back out....heat the surrounding area slightly and the bolt will come out way easier

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
Update:

Used a Grabit damaged screw bit. Sprayed liquid wrench on the screw. Waited anfew minutes. Slowly drilled the head, flipped the bit, slowly reversed it out. Took a few trys. Got’r done.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.87015

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
If that wouldn’t have worked, I would grab the dremel and grind a slot into the head of the screw the us e the biggest flat head screw driver you have to toque it out.

Reactions: icleancarpetz

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
If that wouldn’t have worked, I would grab the dremel and grind a slot into the head of the screw the us e the biggest flat head screw driver you have to toque it out.
That’s right the dremel. Forgot about that tool. Carry it in the van. Thank you Chap!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom