How to bid Large VCT Job???

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
Have a big job to bid this week. 52,500 sq ft. All wide open. Tile is only 2 to 3 weeks old. Light soil.

Company provides Franklin Stripper and Wax. They want a light stripping and 3 coats of wax down.

In my arsenal I have no walk behinds, only Advance 20" ride ons available-2 of those and Reg. 15 and 17" low speeds.

It is a new store and after the 3 coats they will put down fixtures and possibly want another bid for 1-3 more coats and burnishing. Initial job is strip and 3 coats with them again providing the stripper and wax.

Treat me like an idiot. Most of my jobs are under 10k sq ft and the ride ons will be a new thing to me as are the walk behinds. Can I run stripper through the walk behind???

Job needs to be done in one weekend.

This could be funnn????

Thanks!

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
My usual rates are 35-50 cents a sq ft maybe a hair more if a pain. Have done some as low as 25 cents a sq ft. Was thinking initially .10 cents on this one but now am thinking a hair higher. Remember they do provide the stripper and wax BUT NOT the equipment. That is all on my dime.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You should be at 18-25 cents depending on how hard it is to get water, dump water and small hurdles LIke such that will cost you time.

Don't run stripper through the scrubber unless it is a dedicated stripping unit and won't be used in the scrubbing or maintenance cleaning at all. As it takes a lot to get all of the stripper out where you can have confidence that it won't hurt a finished floor while light scrubbing.

There are buckets designed to lay solution in rows with a spout don't remember what the name of the company that makes them but just look online and you will find them.

We would just use a rolling 55 gallon trash can mix solution inside of can and throw it on the floor, the guy doing this must wear chemical resistant gloves.

You will need a lot of manpower for the stripping part of this job, do t be afraid to get twice the amount of guys you would normally use as you should have a pretty nice labor budget at .25 a SQft. You should make a killing even with ten guys for 8 hours each.

10x8=80 hours labor for stripping

80 man hours x 15 an hour is 1200 for stripping labor

4 man hours per coat is 12 man hours for finishing is 180 labor cost for finishing.

52500 SQft x .25 a square is $13,125.00 for the job.

Heck even at .15 cents

52500 SQft x.15 a square is over 7800 dollars so don't kill yourself get a lot of help.

Personal I would be very comfortable doing the job at .18 cents a square.

Reactions: Russ T.

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
Even this high of rate considering I am not supplying 1000-1500 in wax and stripper??? If tile is only a week old or two should it be flood stripped? I know Armstrong says wait 3-5 days to flood strip. I also just usually do the drill a hole in the cap of the jug and pour wax method. Don't have fancy back packs or machines to put down stripper.

Reactions: Bryan S. Bennett

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
If the floor has had normal traffic for 3 weeks on it, yes give it a light strip but it will need an alkaline strip not a nuetral scrub as if no one has traffic the floor.

The stripper will break down the factory "finish" while degreasing the floor prepping it for the new finish.

At the .18 cent mark you have removed the price of the stripper and the wax.

Keep in mind you don't need a strong emulsifier, as there is not much finish on the floor. Just use the stripper at half of what it recommends. And scrub it in good. I would follow with a nuetral Cleaner scrub pass and ensure a good end product.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i have everything ya need are ya in the carolinas get in touch with me.ill come up and help

hydracat

Not much stripper needed with new vct. I ususally add vinegar or another acid to the rinse water to help neutralize stripper. I'v found the long bristle bars used for laying down stain that hard wood floor guys use are a lot faster than a wax mop. You can move larger amounts of wax around on wide open spaces.

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
Havent heard back from them on bid...did I bid to high at roughly 16 centabos a ft.

They are paying .29 cent a foot for install.

I called around in Des Moines. I can rent a $48,000 Propane ride on for $700 a day!!! 54" scrubbing deck...73 gallon water tank...WOWWW...celans 90,000 sq ft an hour it says...and weighs 3300 pounds....would love to see that puppy in action..

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
Well the verdict is in. They laughed at my .15 cents a foot. Said they NEVER have seen one that high and always pay .7-.10 cents a foot for strip and 3 coats. And he says most companies think that's profitable. Really man?? Really???

My exact words were "well if I find a magic wand that will make it go faster I can give u a call" otherwise hope the job goes well for u. BLAHHH...

I find it hard to believe he has never seen a bid at .15 cents a ft.

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
Disappointing and kind of degrading to the industry.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
if all you had to provide was labor and equipment.....AND the 1st go round is no shelves......07-.10 alllllll day

scrub and recoat, after placement....same....$3675- $5200 i would push for the .10...

anyway 3 days with 3 guys at about 6 hrs each....so 18 man hr per day......I would be there another 3-4 maybe less, as i would start waxing in areas where they are done.....

anyway $1500 gross per day...1200-1000 per day cleared....for 6-10 hrs...on me....

all day easy money to

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've done Kmarts and Roses, near that size with MUCH less labor. Had to rock and roll, but paid my dues to feed my young family.

The only thing worse than missing this bid, would have been to get it.

Reactions: ronbeatty

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom