How to defrost a Hose-Bib in 90 seconds

Name
George Valliant
Harbor Freight heat gun $14.00. Also, it works good at warming-up numb fingertips.

image_23213.jpg

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I start out the mornings with a gallon of HOT water in a gallon jug. A gallon of hot water, poured slowly over the spigot, will safely do the trick.....no electrical hookup. If you are trying to thaw a frost/freeze proof spigot, be warned.......it ain't supposed to freeze. (the most likely cause of a frozen freeze proof spigot is that the hose was left connected and full of water, or it wasn't installed right. The feed tube will freeze after the valve and start to leak after you turn the water on). If you have to thaw a freeze proof spigot, you had better be sure it isn't leaking inside the house when water starts to flow!
water_silcock.jpg

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I don't touch them unless I have asked permission from the homeowner (any time of year) and then we immediately check the inside of the home to make sure they are not broken and leaking. Keep in mind, it is only when you have back pressure on your hose of the bib, that the water is going to start spraying back into the home.

Today, we are just making a plan to add water to our tanks in between the first and 2nd job. That should make us through the remainder of the day with the jobs we have.

Mark Saiger

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
That's the exact heat gun I used yesterday to get my flag pole unstuck.We put Christmas lights on it to look like a Christmas tree for the lighting contest. Between the heat gun and hot water we got it up just moments before the judging.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Well, here you go, burn down the house for even less.....
ede5yvu6.jpg

Sent from my motorola flip phone using Crapatalk 1.1

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

That, Mark, is why I'm looking into adding water tanks, or buying a unit already set up with tanks. I'm tired of looking for a safe water supply, especially in this friggin' cold! I just missed out on a beautiful used setup, with low hours, average miles, and a crap load of storage space. Big waste tank, freshy tank, APO, elec hose reel. Friggin' banks are just too slow to respond, especially if you haven't used credit in 10 years. I'll be ready for the next deal.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I'm hooking up more and more inside the house and running lukewarm water out to the van. It's just too dam cold, even if I can get the spigot unfroze, it's just going to freeze again.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
That, Mark, is why I'm looking into adding water tanks, or buying a unit already set up with tanks. I'm tired of looking for a safe water supply, especially in this friggin' cold! I just missed out on a beautiful used setup, with low hours, average miles, and a crap load of storage space. Big waste tank, freshy tank, APO, elec hose reel. Friggin' banks are just too slow to respond, especially if you haven't used credit in 10 years. I'll be ready for the next deal.

Adding water tanks for the winter helps weigh you down .. good for traction .. make sure you have enough baffles so you dont slosh through the red light

Reactions: rwcarpet

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I'm hooking up more and more inside the house and running lukewarm water out to the van. It's just too dam cold, even if I can get the spigot unfroze, it's just going to freeze again.

I,too, was cleaning apartments yesterday, and was connecting at the sink and mixing in some warm water. I have to limit my water intake temp because of my on-board Kinetico softener (120*). All the apartments I clean have disabled the outside spigots, because renters were abusing the priveledge by washing their cars daily.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I don't know how you guys do it without onboard water. You spent all this money on your truck mount to make you more efficient then the portable guys and then waist half your time savings running around looking for a water hook up or being worried about lines freezing in the winter. That's a must for me in any truck mount.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
You spent all this money on your truck mount to make you more efficient then the portable guys and then waist half your time savings running around looking for a water hook up or being worried about lines freezing in the winter.

It's really not that hard, Justin.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I don't know how you guys do it without onboard water. You spent all this money on your truck mount to make you more efficient then the portable guys and then waist half your time savings running around looking for a water hook up or being worried about lines freezing in the winter.

welp, I'm certainly not going to argue the convenience of on board water, but hooking up a hose only adds 3, maybe 4 minutes to the average job...minute and half to hook up, min-half to roll up

and there are the intangibles too of how much harder on drive train, brakes, ball joints, suspension, etc of hauling an extra 700+ pounds daily

BUT...It can be a PITA in winter...NO DOUBT

..L.T.A.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I froze my Vac hoses together today and I couldn't get them apart. My filter basket for the vac was coated with ice and the inlet to my water tank froze over and shut down the vacuum. Ain't wither fun!!!

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I froze my Vac hoses together today and I couldn't get them apart. My filter basket for the vac was coated with ice and the inlet to my water tank froze over and shut down the vacuum. Ain't wither fun!!!

Ya I feel your pain. Today I got snow on my wheels and had to wipe them of once I got in the house. :razz:

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I've never froze incoming water to the van .. maybe slight freeze on the spigot if there's a drip .. but the line itself is too big in diameter .. it is nice to run around all day without filling up but too much weight cost more in gas and puts added wear on van

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
That's the exact heat gun I used yesterday to get my flag pole unstuck.We put Christmas lights on it to look like a Christmas tree for the lighting contest. Between the heat gun and hot water we got it up just moments before the judging.

wait...yor tongue was stuck to the flag pole???/

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
You guys are right as far as added weight and fuel mileage and such. Never thought about it much like that but I think the convenience out weighs all that and I've never used less then a 1 ton vehicle so my suspension can handle the weight. I guess it's just what you get used to. Kinda like an electric reel. Before I had one I never missed it but now I wouldn't be without it. Even If it does only shave off a few minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom