How to heat your garage at home!

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I got rid of my office and built a new house.. I will be building a 40x60 building in the spring... but untill then. I just have my attached two car garage..

I had the builder put in just one vent that runs off my heat pump.. Sorry the pic isnt the best.. The vans are in there..

Temp outside now is 12 degrees temp in garage is 51 closest to the garage door
venttt.jpg

Noidios

Name
Russ Zinck
It's 20 degrees outside here right now - I have an uninsulated garage with no vent and my garage won't get below freezing. If it gets much colder, a small heater inside the van overnight will do the trick.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
In many areas it’s not up to code to have a vent in the garage (think carbon monoxide.)

Becker

Name
Becker
I agree with above.

Heating has never been an issue with any attached garage I've had. Sub zero even.

Detached I don't heat inside van till night time temps get in the low 20s.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
Outside 12°

Garage inside is 50°?

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

That's a near 40° difference, your outside temps can get to zero or even below before you need to watch it. If you're still concerned put a space heater in the coldest corner of the garage or like already mentioned right in the van.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
The reason why i did this is because......... a 1500 watt heater in the van will use alot more electric than, just that vent thats tied into my main trunk line anyways......

Been there done that with a space heater... Can we say huge Electric bill!!

Name
Lee Stockwell
14 cents per hour when it's running wide open won't kill you. Here in KY Joey it's not going to need to run much over 15 or 20 nights this month, and the thermostat will cycle it off much of that time.

I'd guess a $50 per month hit for Jan and February.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Your right lee.. but it would raise my bill 50 bucks a month..... or more been there done that.. so i just thought this was an ok idea that i did

Name
Lee Stockwell
So, what's your source of "free" heat Joey?

The ceramic heater tackling 300 cubic feet inside your van is going to stack up pretty thriftily against any hvac system warming over 5000 cubic feet of garage space.

Jonee

You must have one heck of a condenser on that heat pump to acheive that kind of heat in a typical 2 car garage and heat anything else. I have a seperate small 2 ton heat pump for my bonus room over the garage and can barely get that area above 65 degrees when its in the single digits outside.

no more heat pumps for me, it will be a small gas pack when it needs replacing.

Name
R.J. Povio
I would just put a vent free gas insert or wall mounted natual gas heater that is thermostatically controlled. Put the thermostat at the farthest point from the heat but not near a door that will be opening all the time. Set it at 40 degrees and youll be fine. At our shop we have the Radiant heaters. We have 2 of them i think they are 70 to 80k BTU each. We set the thermostats at 36-38 when outside temp is 10 degrees or warmer and it stays consistantly over freezing(we have thermometers all over the shop to meter temps) no matter where in the garage you check the temps. On really cold nights (sub zero or single digits with alot of wind) we turn thermostats to 40 degrees just in cases of drafts. We have been doing this for 3 years and never had a freezing problem and to heat 4000 sq ft of garage is 150-200 per month. We insulated the ceilings well and make sure the overhead garage doors aren't opened and closed numerous times. The heat is just sucked out if you leave the garage doors opened. You can buy a vent free natural gas or propane heater for under 200 bucks. Those are nice in case the power goes out, you will still have heat.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I keep all my liguid cleaning supplies in the garage as well. they cant freeze.. I dont have natural gas here.. When i get my building built I will get a propane tank

John Buxton

I have a 30x40 pole building at home I work out of. I reduced the heated space to 650SF by installing another wall and garage door in the back of the building. I put in a commercial acoustical ceiling at 8.5' with another 12" of batt insulation above that. A ventless LP wall heater and a 220 electric with a fan give me an option when the LP tank starts getting low. If your gonna use LP buy your own tank you'll save enough to pay for it the first year.

Right now your garage sounds like the cheapest. A supply vent wont hurt anything in a garage, a return is a different story.

rick imby

Name
Rick
joeynbgky said:
The reason why i did this is because......... a 1500 watt heater in the van will use alot more electric than, just that vent thats tied into my main trunk line anyways......

Been there done that with a space heater... Can we say huge Electric bill!!

Did you have an electric heater in the house at the same time???

This doesn't make sense.
I can understand the big money to heat your van with electricity if it was not in a garage. If you have your van in an attached garage it should be way cheaper to heat with a little 110v electric resistance heater. Did you have the thermostat set too high?

I believe that heat pumps are more efficient at heating between about 25 degrees and 50 degrees. I believe that a resistance heater is more efficient as you get below 20 degrees and much more efficient as you get around zero degrees. Most of the time with your van in an insulated Attached garage
when you are needing heat it will be below 20 degrees, when your heat pump is not very efficient.

*****“In the absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia. “ – Anonymous

Straight Talk Prepaid Phones

Domain Naming tips

http://www.howtomakeawebsitework.com/Ar ... sites.html

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Noidios said:
It's 20 degrees outside here right now - I have an uninsulated garage with no vent and my garage won't get below freezing. If it gets much colder, a small heater inside the van overnight will do the trick.

Changed my mind about that visit Russ !gotcha!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom