How would you respond?

Walt

My wife has been emailing back in forth with a potential client.

This is what she stated on her last email:

"If my math is correct, then the job would be ~$300-330, which almost double ever other quote I got. Why is eco-clean so much more expensive?? I'd really like to go green for the carpet cleaning, but I can't afford to pay that much extra just for greener products. Did I do my math right??"

I don't care about the job. I'm busy enough. But I do feel like I need to respond to the question in a productive way.

What say you?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Quit talking money, and start talking value and benefits.

Many things are much more important than the lowest price.

Name
I'm Rick James
Walt said:
My wife has been emailing back in forth with a potential client.

This is what she stated on her last email:

"If my math is correct, then the job would be ~$300-330, which almost double ever other quote I got. Why is eco-clean so much more expensive?? I'd really like to go green for the carpet cleaning, but I can't afford to pay that much extra just for greener products. Did I do my math right??"

I don't care about the job. I'm busy enough. But I do feel like I need to respond to the question in a productive way.

What say you?

Tell her for me to go down there she should pay you. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mike Draper

does a good attorney that stands in front of a Jury "tell them what he thinks"? or does he ask questions that leads them to the response he wants"?

Walt

What do you think:

Hi Karina,

You ask a legitimate question - Why is Eco Clean more expensive? Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond. My hope is not to convince you to use our services, but rather to explain.

Since we started Eco Clean we have focused on value. It is our belief that value isn't based on just how much you spend, but on what you get. On the surface all carpet cleaning methods may seem the same. However, that simply isn't true. What separates us from our competition isn't just natural cleaners (which are more expensive), but the level of cleaning we provide. And we do it without using dirt attracting detergent based cleaners. Up front you pay more, but in the long run you save because your carpet wont need cleaning as often. Further, you have the peace of mind knowing your carpet is actually clean.

Our method requires more time and materials than our competitors; hence, the additional cost. We could lower our prices, but we would have to lower our quality as well. Giving the "illusion" of clean is something we are unwilling to do.

Thank you for considering Eco Clean.

Sincerely,

Walt Bush
Owner / Operator
Eco Clean

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Just tell her to go pound sand in every orifice on her body.Calling her a cheap bitch or even a simple GFY is an easy solution, but it may create a little friction at first until she warms up to you. I always find a frank and honest approach along with an endearing personal charm is my magic potion. Always remember to point out what a crappy job she does vacuuming and house cleaning in general. Toss a vibrator in the middle of the the bed in the master BR.Call her in and ask if it belongs to her.Blow your nose on the drapes and scratch your balls when you talk to her while staring at her sweater monkeys.Avoid eye contact. ALWAYS take a huge dump in her toilet but do not flush! Dump your waste water on the front lawn.
Feel free to release flatulence to your hearts content, but blame it on the dog.

I win jobs with these tricks, you can too!

Jamesh921

Name
James
You ask a legitimate question - Why is Eco Clean more expensive? Thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond. My hope is not to convince you to use our services, but rather to explain.

Since we started Eco Clean we have focused on value. It is our belief that value isn't based on just how much you spend, but on what you get. On the surface all carpet cleaning methods may seem the same. However, that simply isn't true. What separates us from our competition isn't just natural cleaners (which are more expensive), but the level of cleaning we provide. And we do it without using dirt attracting detergent based cleaners. Up front you pay more, but in the long run you save because your carpet wont need cleaning as often. Further, you have the peace of mind knowing your carpet is actually clean.

Our method requires more time and materials than our competitors; hence, the additional cost. We could lower our prices, but we would have to lower our quality as well. Giving the "illusion" of clean is something we are unwilling to do.

Actually, that is a great response. And then, I would also ad:

Let me give you an option - Go ahead and have any company you want clean "HALF" of the areas you want cleaned at their price. Then, have us clean the other half at our price. I believe a comparison will demonstrate that our service has "no hidden costs", will stay cleaner longer, and give you the clean that your home desires.

I would then ask, TO BE FAIR, that she only allow the other company to clean HALF of the busiest room in the house (usually the living/family room).

If she allows you to do this, and you do your job right, then you SHOULD have a customer for life.

Mike Draper

Jamesh921 said:

Actually, that is a great response. And then, I would also ad:

Let me give you an option - Go ahead and have any company you want clean "HALF" of the areas you want cleaned at their price. Then, have us clean the other half at our price. I believe a comparison will demonstrate that our service has "no hidden costs", will stay cleaner longer, and give you the clean that your home desires.

I would then ask, TO BE FAIR, that she only allow the other company to clean HALF of the busiest room in the house (usually the living/family room).

If she allows you to do this, and you do your job right, then you SHOULD have a customer for life.

Sorry bro, but the whole "half" idea may sound like it works for us, but will sound like a ridiculous, inconvenience for the custy.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Yeah I'm with ya, free demos on resi? Why not just give 'em a whole room free? Oh wait...

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
If you still have her attention add to the list of why the skill/training you and or your techs have. Mention it's always more expensive to hire the more experienced but it always translates to a better experience overall.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
In my humble opinion- Walt, I think that part about. Not being like the competition using. Dirt attracting detergent etc etc- is a little chemdry-ish or vlm-ish.. It has a bit of the scare tactic in it. I think if you will just change a few words- like saying SOME of your competition could sound better.

I think what I'm trying to say is, that there is a way to clean carpets without being "all green" and not having the rapid re soiling -or any of the other issues constantly being mentioned- true.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I hope she's not the one I referred to you last week.

You might want to touch on bait and switch as well as some of the small details like pre-vacuuming the better price isn't often the better deal. Beyond that you have value, Your experience as the owner the most experienced person in the company does the work not some pimply faced kid with 3 months of experience or a temp for hire.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I have to partially disagree with FCC and agree with Dave.
FCC's lists of the benefits is too long (unless his aim is to wear the client out) and too technical.
Dave said it:"Quit talking money, and start talking value and benefits. Many things are much more important than the lowest price." He is right.

Find a way to expand in a non technical way on the benefits: Prolongs carpet longevity, cleaner, healthier, send a link to all the happy reviews etc, points that make you unique etc.

For example it is essential to point out that so far you have never been arrested and or convicted for murder/rape/grand larceny (check mark the pertinent one.)

P.S. Green products do not really cost more, so that is not a true point. The care that is behind making the choice of using green products, however, is a good point.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
OK - so my first reply isn't up your alley, my initial blunt assessment is to suggest that yes, indeed you can buy flip flops at Walmart and technically be wearing shoes. Or you can get proper shoes. I sell proper shoes. I also make the time to include personal contact , at least by phone or preferably in person. That's usually a game changer. I don't pressure or find any need to. If I don't get a yes in the time I'm there, leave a card. I get rejected occasionally based on my pricing being "high", I've gotten jobs because my pricing was a little higher. I just don't dwell on it - there's another million or so customers available to be swooned. They just don't know they're my customers yet. !gotcha!

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
As an Owner Operator, I'm more concerened with the quality of cleaning you recieve. It is more important to me to earn you as a long term customer then it is to clean your carpet and move on to the next job.

I can do things one of two ways. I can give you less quality for a cheaper price and do more jobs in a day. Or I do fewer jobs in a day can give you better quality at a higher price. I chose to do better quality and guarantee your satisfaction.

Respectfully

I hope she's not the one I referred to you last week.
:shock: :lol:

I did Abbey's rugs on Thursday.
Thanks Randy

2.Walt Bush

Golden Boy

that Waldo is a tough cookie

Walt

Ofer Kolton said:
P.S. Green products do not really cost more, so that is not a true point. The care that is behind making the choice of using green products, however, is a good point.

Prespray and rinse are similar in price. However the effort to get perfect results is more. Effort= time. Time = money. I wasn't trying to be deceptive.

Other products like bac-out, bac-out fresh, benefect are significantly more expensive.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Tell her the price will come down if she moves everything off the carpet, pre-vacs and you can use highly carcinogenic butyl prespray to speed you you production rate.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I get this question a lot.
I tell people that for my work, its all about the preparation. Just like in painting a wall, (I use analogies a lot) a good painter will spend 1/2 to 2/3'rds the time in prep work. The end product wouldn't look any different than someone who painted in half the time for half the price, initially. However, over time the flaws in the faster job will start to show and the more expensive painting will last 5-10x longer.
You get what you pay for.

Also, a friend was asked this of his work and he responded by saying, Who/what are you comparing it to?

I responded once when a lady said she could get it done cheaper by COIT, by looking her straight in the eye and saying, I'm not COIT.

Its tough when doing this via email, easier when face to face.
Any chance of scheduling an In-person quotation?

Hey Willy, neck hurting???

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Walt said:
Ofer Kolton said:

Prespray and rinse are similar in price. However the effort to get perfect results is more. Effort= time. Time = money. I wasn't trying to be deceptive.

Other products like bac-out, bac-out fresh, benefect are significantly more expensive.
Walt, I know you were not trying to be deceptive, sorry if it was misunderstood.
What I was trying to say is that these little details are not that important. it is whats behind them that counts.
What is important is the extra that you do give that makes you worth the extra $.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
It's not about green, it's about two different levels of service.

Some folks appreciate the difference. Some folks have to experience the difference before they can appreciate it. Some folks never will.

Will explaining the difference between a Kia and a Lexus to a sticker-shocked Kia owner seal the deal on a new Lexus?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Walt said:
Ofer Kolton said:

depending on what you are using....

Planet Guard for example.. You actuelly save money by using the Prespray but the recomended dilution for a stock solution using the planet guard rinse is 1 gallon to four gallons as opposed to 1 quart or 1.5 lbs of competing non green products.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Why do people pay more to stay at the Four Seasons? Or a Resort? They could pay way less and stay at the Sheraton :mrgreen:

You still get the sleep, but you don't get the same experience.

You should try to compare your service to something that she might already know a thing or two about.

You pay more to live in a custom built house than a 2 bd apt...etc etc.

Try to feel her out or take a good guess at what she might relate to the most.

Mercedes to Pinto.......Mary Kay to Avon :shock: ....etc etc etc

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
I agree with giving her more information such as the 12 step cleaning process. She is only comparing green to non green cleaning. You need to have her compare high quality cleaning service that is also green to an average non green, carcinagenic, cancer causing, world destroying service. (im not a green cleaner, just humor)
I would also give an in home estimate. It is much easier to sell a customer in person than over email. I live in a small area though and easy travel to give estimates.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom