How's Olson doing?

FredC

Village Idiot

Lora Olson

29m ·

Got word from Johns doctor. They had to up his oxygen to 70% which is not a big deal. The doc basically explained it's like gaining a half a pound when you step on the scale and isn't something to worry about. His blood pressure spiked for about 10 minutes last night and developed a small tremor. They are not worried about his blood pressure and adjusted his medication to compensate for the tremor and gave him some fast acting blood pressure meds. Doc says he is still on the right track, no better or worse than 4 days ago when he was admitted. As I have been here today, he hasn't shown much sign of knowing I was here, even though his nurse turned down the sedation a little. He is resting deeply today. He still has a fever of about 102 and they still have the cooling blanket on him. It makes me freezing when I sit here and just put my hand on his leg. I am sure he is LOVING it! This man turnes on the AC in our house in March! Our agreement is I put more on cause I can but he can only take so much off!
😝

I have a feeling he will try buying one of these on alibaba when he gets home.
🤦🏻‍♀️

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
Thanks for the update
Still praying for John
Yessir. Praying for Lora and family. Can’t imagine that amount of emotional pressure 😢

my worker had to leave work early yesterday. Got a call from his gf her mom had a major heart attack. Thankfully she made the first step through surgery

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I had ta leave my wife overnite and
I was jus walking around in the parking lot.....so they sent security out

"ARE YOU OK"
and I jus started bawling....noooooo!

This was about a year ago....

While I was posting my phone and
Joan's phone rang exactly the same
Time
The results of your recent covid
Test came back negative/ normal
Our 5th test.....

Now we pray for John!

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Didn't Lora have it as well.....
How's she doing.....I hope shes taking
Care and resting as much as possible

FredC

Village Idiot

Lora Olson

pu3rh ·

Sunday, Oct 10, 2021
Day 21 in ICU, day 6 on ventilator
John was a bit more alert today. He had a football game on when I got there and the nurse said he asked, somehow. I told him I would watch the night game too, so it’s like we are watching it together. I guess Covid has made us break our rule of no NFL. (When your daddy (mine) is buried with a flag on his casket, your level of tolerance for people who disrespect the flag is non-existant.) Not sure how he asked her, he cant talk.

The chilling blanket is off today. They have his fever a bit more under control. He wants no sheet or blanket, only a wet towel, to keep him cool.

His vitals were much better today. His heart rate was in the 80’s today, even with his sedation turned down when I got there. About half way through me getting there, they turned it all the way off. It’s the first time I have been around him since this all started in the ICU, where he has been completely awake. I actually saw his eyes for the first time in 3 days. He was able to sit up today, and stand up with a lot of help standing, but a little help staying up, just enough to keep him from tipping over. He hasn’t done that since my birthday.
He is still on the vent but the oxygen is down to being altered today between 70 and 60.

The hardest thing for me, today, is that he asked for a pen, spelled the word beard, which was very hard on him, then he slashed his hand like he wanted it off. I asked if he really did, and he shook his head yes. I waited until he was absolutely off Propofol and asked him again, and he shook his head yes. She cut it, didn’t shave him. So my bearded husband is still bearded, but the 8 years of growth are gone. That, for me, seeing him change, he is thinner and gaunt. The toll it is taking is becoming obvious. We are prepared for long haul, because that is our only option at this point. We have never been separated this long in our entire marriage, by more than a week now.

At least today is another (small) up day, which ill take after the last two days of small setback and no gain. Maybe I’ll sleep a bit better tonight. I miss him, so so much.

I’m grateful for his little steps in the right direction. I’m grateful he was actually able to lean into me when I kissed him goodbye tonight. It’s the little things like this that keep me up.

FredC

Village Idiot

Lora Olson

7Sposo9redm ·

I'm just going to have to call days like today his "rest day". He didn't know I was there today.
He is not better or worse, just resting.
He did spike a fever again during the night of 105+. They do Celsius so I have to convert it. His nurse has had his temp under control since then. They sent cultures of the gunk they suction from his lungs to see if they need to adjust antibiotics.
🤢
🤮
🤮
🤮

Doc says he is still trending positive overall.
Sadly, that is it for today.

FredC

Village Idiot

Lora Olson

po342tm ·

Oct 12, 2021 day 7 on ventilator
I’m calling today a work day! He is still running a fever, about 101 now. They are running more cultures, its been frustrating why they can’t seem to figure this out. That’s about the biggest negative. They are switching him from propofol to a drug that keeps him comfortable that is called precede. It is not complete sedation and they monitored closely how he did today. So far, he is doing well, and still able to be comfortable, while starting to ween off the sedation. He is not combative, and his vitals stayed good, showing he wasn’t struggling too much so those are positives.

Because of this, he was much more alert today. I said “hey, this is the most I have seen your handsome eyes in a week.” So then he shot his eye brows up like he was saying here, here are my eyes! LOL His sense of humor was there today.

He wanted me to rub his skin today, which was awesome. Even wanted me to rub his belly…we will hold the dog jokes for now. Vader is jealous. Just saying. His nurse let me stay over my time today, because occupational therapy was there when I was leaving. He could only sit up today, but when he did, I could scratch his back and rub his neck. His skin is still healthy, but I am sure having someone rub and scratch it felt good. His OT team asked me to bring pictures and a few things from home, since he wont be so sedated. He needs things around him. I’m wondering if 30 or so pics is too much???

😊

He also wrote me this note on his whiteboard. He is so very shakey, and had to take a brake several times cause it was a struggle for him to write. I have included this picture with my update.
Yesterday was def a rest day for today. We will see where tomorrow brings us on this covid roller coaster ride from hell.

No photo description available.

FredC

Village Idiot
Oct 13, 2021

News like this needs to be short and sweet...

THE VENT IS OUT!

He is doing better on the hi-flow oxygen through his nose than when he was at the other icu!! His vitals are good! Still running a fever of 102 today.

This is such good news I ain't gonna do much more of an update...

Other than I got a kiss goodbye today. 💙

FredC

Village Idiot
Oct 14, 2031

John is still doing well off the ventilator. He is now struggling with fighting this infection, which has finally been identified. He has a bacterial infection called pseudomonas.

His temp was 101 today, and fighting the fever is causing an elevated heart rate and blood pressure. His blood sugars have also been spiking, so he is getting insulin units depending on where his blood sugar is. Today it was 154. It could be caused by the two rounds of steroids, but with some patients who have had covid so long, they do have diabetes for the rest of their lives. We just wont know for a while.

Here is a link if you want a little information on Pseudomonas infections: Causes, symptoms, and treatments (medicalnewstoday.com) Obviously, John got it from being on breathing machines and a ventilator, and because he is compromised right now…not cause he was in a hot tub. LOL

For those interested, they are treating it with moroponom, for an antibiotic.

He has a full day of speech therapy, occupational therapy and physical therapy. They are going to try to shuffle him to a chair position today, if he can tolerate it and his blood pressure doesn’t get too high. His heart hasn’t had to work too hard lately cause he has been so sedentary. They are starting to work on that as part of his healing.

Thank you all again, for your prayers, good thoughts, vibes, whatever you have done for John. It means so so much to me. I know prayer and all those thinking of him are what has gotten him this far, what got him a bed in the best unit in the state, why he was able to get off the ventilator. We got this fight with a bacterial infection and hopefully he is done fighting for a little while.

🙏🏻

Mikey P

Administrator
Friday, Oct 15, 2021
Day 26 in ICU
John was alert and waved to me when I got there this morning. I had to go get my “papper” and gown and gloves on, and he was much more awake, even than yesterday. He is watching tv during the day now as well.
He had his first breathing therapy today, and he is really starting to cough up the crap in his lungs. He can hold his own suction thingy now, but I had to help get some of the gunk off of it that is too thick or solid to get sucked down. I don’t get squeamish, hardly at all. When u have helped a dog have puppies…nothing gets ya. Blood, poop, none of it bothers me…except the stuff John was hacking up. I had to stand (in the papper in the pic) and swallow down my gag reflex, multiple times. I can’t vomit in that!
🤢
🤢
🤢
🤮
🤮
🤮
Heck, even other people vomiting don’t bug me…but baby Jesus, Mary and Joeph I almost lost it several times. He has to “make himself cough” really hard about once an hour. Only way to get it out is cough it up, since vent is off and they cannot suction anymore.
His fever is down, but only a little. Holding at 100 today. Still doing the antibiotics that should help the pseudomonas.
He can vocalize a tiny bit, it sounds awful. He whispers a little, but needs to rest his throat. Speech therapy never made it there yesterday, so he can only dip a sponge “lolli pop” in water and rub it around his mouth. Hopefully speech therapy made it there after I left. He wants a drink of water so bad, but since he hasn’t swallowed anything like water since early in the morning 10/5, they need to make sure his throat can still swallow properly. There is a danger he could swallow and it goes right into his lungs. As you can imagine, that could be catastrophic.
We had a bit of a scare during my visit. When he turned his head to look at me, his machine that is pumping the hi-flow oxygen through his nose (with 100% oxygen) kept going off, then turned off all together and didn’t come back on. I rushed to the hall and got his nurse, he started working on the machine, paged the pulmonogist and he ran in and started hooking up a mask to a diff machine to get John oxygen somehow. He decelerated so quickly. And these two were running around the room getting things done so quickly. All of this took about 2 minutes, but I was having to wake him up, asking him to breath, just a little. He was fading right in front of my eyes. His respiratory therapist called it “knocking on heaven’s door”. He found where a tube had gotten knocked loose on the main machine, got it stuck back on tightly, and got him back on his regular machine. Kind of funny, only kind of, we both like Guns ‘n Roses…but seeing that happen, and watching his eyes, he was terrified and so frail. He has a very long road ahead of him to get better.
❤️

So grateful for these professionals who are right there. They even had a couple of empty beds in his unit today. Those poor people need a break!!

Top Bottom