Hydrosensor for urine...

Able 1

Name
Keith
I'm dealing with prop. management on an obvious urine issue, and I tested every foot or so and it beeped all the time... What else would cause it to beep other then being wet? Cobb's super cool blacklight didn't show anything but this is poly/smartstrand(stupidstrand if you ask me), and I want some confidence that all my marked spots ARE urine..

Thanks..

Able 1

Name
Keith
Did you pull back a corner and check it out?

I did, but I really didn't see much on the back of the carpet(even when it went off when I touched a spot couldn't see shit on the backing)... I know there is piss all over in this unit. Is there anything other then urine that will make it alert(is my big question)?

Name
Brad Gouveia
I would say salt water would. If they had a salt water tank that leaked would cause the probe to go. The probe is triggered by the salts from the urine. So anything that has salt in it would trigger it.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I have a Hydroshark moisture probe that I use. I find it to be very reliable in datevting moisture and old urine spots. I have never had it beep constantly across a whole room. Mine is sensitive enough to berp holding my finger on the two probes.
Is it a basement? ?
I can see a damp basement slab easialy setting it off its so damn sensitive.
Any variation in the speed of beeps from area to area??
Mine beeps at a faster rate the wetter it is.
Maybe you can establish a baseline beep speed for the whole basement and look for faster beeps for urine??
When in doubt, your nose will show you the way.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Mainly moisture but even metal will set it off. If the grains are high then the uric salts will pull moisture to them, enough to set off the sensor. Its also possible for the carpet to hold enough moisture as vapor passes from the concrete through the carpet. Had the place been closed with no ac on? Run the ac and do the same test, see if that doesn't make a difference.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
The way that the probes work is by conductivity. Urine salts will attract moisture that will cause conductivity in the carpet setting off the probe. And of course if the urine is still wet it will set off the probe. One product that is very rare nowadays is anti static spray. The way that product works is by coating the fibers with a salt that attracts a small amount of moisture that will cause the electricity buildup to dissipate. It will also have the effect of causing a urine probe to activate at all spots on the carpet. Carpet fresh may also attract moisture (I am not sure).

Reactions: John Olson

John Olson

Name
John Olson
The way that the probes work is by conductivity. Urine salts will attract moisture that will cause conductivity in the carpet setting off the probe. And of course if the urine is still wet it will set off the probe. One product that is very rare nowadays is anti static spray. The way that product works is by coating the fibers with a salt that attracts a small amount of moisture that will cause the electricity buildup to dissipate. It will also have the effect of causing a urine probe to activate at all spots on the carpet. Carpet fresh may also attract moisture (I am not sure).
This... The sensor doesn't read moisture or salt or wet or urine or anything else. It beeps when when there is a current connection between the two probes. For urine it isn't the urine that is causing the connection as the urine will have. Long "dried" it is the urine salts left behind that have attracted and held enough moisture that allows the current to make the connection. I'm sure you have noticed the higher the moisture the faster it beeps. Same when you touch it to metal it will be faster and a higher pitch. What I would do is treat the carpet with an acid spotter like Steam Way Spotter 601 or CTI's UPT really work it in then flush it with a hose and a water claw or if you have a Rover or Aqua Helix or extreme extractor then put a dehu and airmovers in. That's if you want to fix the carpet. Will be cheaper to just rip and replace if it is just builder grade carpet.

Ron K

John might be on to something. With the property manager there, or not, take some clear water and flush out an area with a water claw and see what you see. if it is urine the added water would stir up the odor too. I would bring my dog down to do a Cat Scan but we fly first class..he is really good though!
Please post your findings.

Last edited:

Able 1

Name
Keith
There is one BR that I couldn't find any spots, but the rest of the place you could find a spot every 6" or so. The sub floor is some kind of concrete though it is a second floor unit. The unit is vacant so there shouldn't be any wet spots. The tenant is going to end up paying for new carpet so I just want to be sure all the spots I've marked are truly urine. The beeping does change intensity while moving around a spot..

I guess it has to be urine... Thanks guys!

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Did you do a pH test to determine if it is urine?

Or use a moisture meter to determine the moisture content in the concrete slab?

:very_drunk:

Back
Top Bottom