I didn't do it...

Mikey P

Administrator
Something is up on my Dealership floor....

Thank Bobalmighty I didnt touch that area yet.

Care to take a guess?

This area popped up last night.

No water to be seen, concrete foundation.

8-10-11001.jpg

8-10-11002.jpg

8-10-11003.jpg

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I was think floor heat, does the building have a hot water heating system or a steam pipe from a boiler

seen it in quite a few local schools

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
i'm not going to speculate, 'cause tile aint my area of expertise, but my butt would be puckering if I were you. Even if you aren't the cause, just the timing of the proiblem would have me nervous.

Take care,
Lisa

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Is the slab is broken or are the tiles seperated from the slab?

The construction or installation defect, maybe not as obvious, had to preexist.

I'd consult Steve Aleric and Al Spate.

If tiles are seperated from an intact slab, would Inject-A-Floor work?

"Tremors"

Lefty724

Name
E
I was thinking about this all day today Mikey. Was it due to uneven concrete/mortar bed, then a car driving over both sides of it causing it to buckle in the middle? Looks like a Civic is to blame here (by how wide the buckle is LOL)

BTW, was this the Honda dealership on Souqel dr. near 41st? Was out that way yesterday and today and the windows looked familiar!

Name
I'm Rick James
I use to work with a tile installer years ago. Under the table type stuff. I went out with him with the same problem. He told them that the large tile floor didnt have proper expansion joints. Causing it to buckle. He said moisture and sunlight causes tile to constrict and expand. There are certain codes that are to be followed when laying tiles, more so in large open areas. I didnt do any repair work with him, so I didnt see how he fixed it or if he did at all.

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
Mikey P said:
Care to take a guess?

In a previous life, I was a tile inspector and I have seen it a few times. Most of the time it was not due to anything to do with the substrate. Most of the time it was to do with a poor quality tile (no matter what type it was). After firing, most tiles have a small 'growth' stage. This should be sorted out and stopped by the times tilers come to lay the floor though.

However in some instances (normally where there is high humidity on a hot day), moisture is sucked in through the biscuit of the tile or stone, and it will start to increase in size again. This is why there needs to be expansion/control joints in floors. A few years ago, there was a major tile manufacturer that had almost a 60% failure rate - and everytime, it ended up like the photo's you posted above. It turned out to be a very costly mistake, but, like always, it took a long time for the tile manufacturer to admit their error. Their standard excuse was it was the tilers fault, or there was problems with the substrate etc....

But you didn't cause this issue Mike, so relax 8)

Jim

Mikey P

Administrator
floorguy_724 said:
I was thinking about this all day today Mikey. Was it due to uneven concrete/mortar bed, then a car driving over both sides of it causing it to buckle in the middle? Looks like a Civic is to blame here (by how wide the buckle is LOL)

BTW, was this the Honda dealership on Souqel dr. near 41st? Was out that way yesterday and today and the windows looked familiar!

You got it!

I have not heard what the tile setters found underneath yet.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Mikey P said:
[quote="floorguy_724":1qij9wfw]I was thinking about this all day today Mikey. Was it due to uneven concrete/mortar bed, then a car driving over both sides of it causing it to buckle in the middle? Looks like a Civic is to blame here (by how wide the buckle is LOL)

You got it!

I have not heard what the tile setters found underneath yet.[/quote:1qij9wfw]

They found they have fooked up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom