I don't get it....what do we want??

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
It keeps coming up over the years in all kinds of threads..

When a machine can be fixed with common parts from Ace hardware or Home Depot...Is it a good thing to some of you, or a bad thing??

When it was a daily entertainment to talk about the Resoil icecream cart- it was a bad thing to have parts in it that can be purchased or fixed from Ace or HD....when you have different portys and some other tools it is a bad thing...

Now when we talk about -for example the Judson tm- it IS a good thing to have common parts because it is easy to buy... no proprietary parts....quick fix in most situations..

The new Whitaker that Randy was praising, was also talked about that it was not made with common HD parts- as a good thing..

The infamous Bentley with that "manifold" made out of common part- was a bad thing...

Sa what do we want??? It seems like it goes both ways... I'm just wondering what am I missing?

Disclaimer; I like Judson products and use them all the time (even coveting a C4) ...so it was truly an example and not ragging on them at all.

Name
Bruce
:clap: You've finally figured out that we don't know what the hell we really want, we jump from product to product and gossip to gossip faster then we can click to the next thread.

Reactions: hogjowl

FredC

Village Idiot
Quality of part and engineering.

Judson TM - good

cheap plastic parts from ace in combination with poor construction not so much

the infamous bentley manifold wasn't meant as a production piece ...it was a prototype turned interim solution

Yes, the angle of the jets now are fully adjustable. This is just a prototype that we built to check to see the difference. We were very pleased with the performance. While they are not available quite yet they will be soon. We'll have these at Mikeyfest so those who would like to try it, can. When we get the parts in we will let you know so that any of you who already have the wand with the old type can order a new type manifold at no charge. Thas is unless of course your a pork loving Admiral, and than you will have to get a note from Mikey.

yes, the wand in the video is a prototype. The manifold will be machine S/S.

BTW, The brass fittings are temporary. They provide infinite adjustment while we dial in the position of the jets. Eventually we will have a S/S solution manifold. Other boards (the name will remain anonymous) have posted the video and misunderstand the intent and seem to think that we are showing a finished product.

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/showthread.php?244159-Mytee-Carbon-Fiber-Wand-feather-touch/page2

Last edited:

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
This is what I want:
I want a machine that is built to last and I can work on it and get parts in a hurry. Someone tried to accuse me once of wanting something that I can work on regardless of the quality. A machine can be built good without having to be built by the "Big" companies in this industry. Judson has a proven machine and Cobb is building a good machine too. Both of these machines can be worked on easily. I think if a TM needs to be hooked to a computer it is too complicated with useless features. I need a machine that is going to spray hot water and suck it back up. How hard is that?
Besides, I would rather support these smaller guys that are trying to feed their families and make a good future for them.
After seeing a recent Facebook post, I am very leery of feeding the fat cats in this industry anymore. Who pays for the trips these salesmen and executives take? They do it in the name of "business" and the people that buy their products pay for it. Why do the machines cost so much? well, we had to buy a $1000 dinner with all of the salesmen. And our guys that are turning the wrenches and welding the machines, They are barely making enough to support their families.
Yes, I will be buying from the small companies that build simple machines that will last and I can get a $200 pump from somewhere close, rather than ordering the same pump with a special name on it for $750.
I would rather pay for someone to send their kids to piano lessons than the fat salesman to stay in a high end hotel and eat at expensive restaurants.
Simple is better.
Happy St. Patrick's day.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree

When a machine can be fixed with common parts from Ace hardware or Home Depot...Is it a good thing to some of you, or a bad thing??

When it was a daily entertainment to talk about the Resoil icecream cart- it was a bad thing to have parts in it that can be purchased or fixed from Ace or HD....when you have different portys and some other tools it is a bad thing...

Now when we talk about -for example the Judson tm- it IS a good thing to have common parts because it is easy to buy... no proprietary parts....quick fix in most situations..

The new Whitaker that Randy was praising, was also talked about that it was not made with common HD parts- as a good thing..

The infamous Bentley with that "manifold" made out of common part- was a bad thing...

Sa what do we want??? It seems like it goes both ways... I'm just wondering what am I missing?

Disclaimer; I like Judson products and use them all the time (even coveting a C4) ...so it was truly an example and not ragging on them at all.

I could say it is a women thing but I wont. All this flip flopping on what they want and don't want and like or dislike all comes down to human nature. (People want what they cant have AND don't want what they can have)

Mikey P

Administrator

When a machine can be fixed with common parts from Ace hardware or Home Depot...Is it a good thing to some of you, or a bad thing?? Good thing as long as their quality ACE brand parts...lol

When it was a daily entertainment to talk about the Resoil icecream cart- it was a bad thing to have parts in it that can be purchased or fixed from Ace or HD....when you have different portys and some other tools it is a bad thing..., again as long as it's done well, in the case of the Ice Cream cart, it was not. Not sure what they look like now but my generation unit was built so poor it was beyond laughable.
Now when we talk about -for example the Judson tm- it IS a good thing to have common parts because it is easy to buy... no proprietary parts....quick fix in most situations.. Good thing.

The new Whitaker that Randy was praising, was also talked about that it was not made with common HD parts- as a good thing.. no idea.

The infamous Bentley with that "manifold" made out of common part- was a bad thing... In that unique case all attempts to correct the manifold were done to try and get over the fact the the mounting location was in the wrong spot. Nothing can overcome that. Redesign/casting of the head is needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A well formulated slide in truckmount needs a name brand motor that can be easily reached, worked on and replaced. It needs a blower that can be easily lubed and drained. Same goes for the pump. If I can't get the head removed within minutes, I'm not interested. I also want to be able to change belts in under an hour, worse case scenario. I want just enough safety measures that my chimps can't burn out the pump if the water supply stops. I want a heat source that is safe around the dopiest of chimps and still delivers 210º to a 10 flow wand. I want to run 200 feet and not need to mess with booster boxes or ten extra dry strokes. I don't want computers/shut down solenoids or any other crap that will die in the furnace like conditions every year. Cost is not a factor.

Tell me, who makes THAT truckmount?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zee

Mike Draper

Zee, my butler cat pump went bad on me. Butler said its exclusive to them and it'll be $1700+ for a new one. I looked at the specs on "butlers exclusive cat pump" and then matched it to another cat pump that was almost an exact match at dultmeier sales for $400. Swapped it out in an hour. That's when I started taking interest in a Judson.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Let me clarify it, in case some of you are getting the wrong idea: I AM for the none proprietary parts I AM for the easily replacable parts from common places, I AM also for a simple design in tools without the crazy added stuff that make things complicated.

My "issue" or question was more about machines and tools that don't have those easily replacable parts and are sometimes referred as "higher quality" because of that. Why is that? Why is that a selling point sometimes and the opposite some other times?

I have done this before: friend of mine and I pulled up next to each other to rebuild our cat pumps. He is with a Blue line and I with an El D. I was done rebuilding my seals etc and ran the pump when he was still taking apart his unit to access the pump. So I know how nice the simple tm is and how nice to be able to fix things easier.

Last edited:

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Proprietary like the performer, bruin, maxx and other catalytic truckmount air pumps? The ones that cost 300-400 at suppliers that I bought at Autozone for under 200? A-1 Cardone 64-1000 fits a 1985 Buick Century.

Crap like that pisses me off

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom