I found a steal on an RX20, what shall I do?

JMill

Name
Jeremiah Miller
I often get myself into trouble by keeping an eye out for good deals on CL. In fact that is how I got myself into this business. I have found a steal, $300, on an RX20. And as far as I can tell, and I could use some input as to what to look for, it is in great shape. It looks like it has been sitting in storage most of its life. It appears that this might be an original RX20. If the serial numbers are sequential I would bet on it, since the SN is 501.

So here are my hesitations:
* $$$, I am just starting out and, as I eluded to earlier, I sorta jumped into this business. So I have a lot to learn and any $$$ comes from our fams budget or savings.
* Do I really need an RX20 or shall I just keep looking for a 175. Especially since I want to focus on commercial encap.
* Is their anything about the early RX20s that would/should deter me? I read some where that their is a "high speed" model. Also, I saw that Greenie (I think that's right) can upgrade these, at least the more recent ones, with glides and such so they are monsters.

I just keep going back to how good of a deal it seems. I have seen a number of used RX20s but their all in the $1k range.

What shall I do?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

John Olson

Name
John Olson
$300 is either a great deal or it could be a $300 boat anchor. You didn't post enough info to help. Post the ad or copy and paste it and the pictures. Even then until you run it and make sure the gear box is good,and the star is straight and the feet and shoes are good there is no way to says yes or no. $300 is likely a hand of black jack, you might flip A,J or you might bust..I say what the hell go for it.. I just dropped 6500 yesterday on used equipment that I'm sure hoping all runs LOL

WAIT just read it again is it a slow speed RX-20? Post a picture if so offer $100 if it all works then drive it down to me ill give you $200 and we can spend the day in the store and shop and you get way more out of that then you will the slow speed RX. I grab them just to have the parts as I have a couple of old guys still using there slow speeds and won't give them up and parts are pretty much gone for them.

Last edited:

JMill

Name
Jeremiah Miller
Thanks John! I had posted pics but apparently they go into a black hole when posting from my phone.

View attachment 2260

View attachment 2261

View attachment 2262

The guy was asking $400 for it and I already tried offering him $200. He said he would do $300. The guy said he never really used it. He ended up with it when he bought out a company. I didn't take pictures of the underside but, aside from some cobwebs, it looked really clean.

How can I tell if this is a slow speed model?

Name
Brad Gouveia
I woul hook up some pressure to it and see it it works or leaks. That is an older RX-20 but for $300 I would buy it. If you get some comercial jobs you will be happy you have it.

In the long run you could use it for a few years and sell to John or someone and get most if not all your money back.

Last edited:

John Olson

Name
John Olson
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.....in case you missed that NO NO NO NO...I'll trade ya $100 in chemical if you bring it to me but one more time NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
in its hay day...that old machine was top of the line.......now she belongs in some museum where old machines go to die..........probably the only rotary left out there that is slower the the 360i...........

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
So I have a lot to learn and any $$$ comes from our fams budget or savings.

There is a reason it's sitting in the guys garage for years... Save your money, buy a nice wand. Get the biz going then the extra stuff.

Reactions: Jim Martin

John Olson

Name
John Olson
that one is the oldest one I have ever seen older then the OLD slow RX I thought it was. It is OLD!!!. I would take it for my collection but if it breaks there is ZERO chance of fixing any of it. It would be a $300 Boat Anchor or as Jim said a museum piece. which is why I would want it. I picked up a used RX and a Used 360I I have to clean them up but for the 360i with a brush head I'll take 1200 and for the RX-20 2200 (new Star, HE Jets and hoses, Fresh Gear Oil)

Steve CGD guy

Supportive Member
I don't see the star head in those pictures. If you were to buy it make sure he has it or getting another one will cost you more than the machine is worth.

Name
Steve Lawrence
That old old old RX won't be any help on most commercial even if it works well. Cimex and/or OP is much better for commercial.

That's like the old prototype for their old slow speed. Definitely not worth $300. Not a good deal at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom