I have a question for people with a portable and rotovac?

doug450

I have done two jobs so far and I am pretty sure I spent way to much time for the amount of money I made,I think I might be being to much of a perfectionist,I want to do a good job and not screw up.
Is there any one on here that wouldn't mind some sharing some info with me,I guess the only way to compare times a job should take is by square footage and how bad it is soiled,do you guys only use the rotovac on only really bad areas thru out the house?I have not even used my regular wand,is that where I am blowing it?maybe,I need to use the regular wand in not so bad areas?
Thanks for any info,Doug

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
be patient and learn your equipment and do a great job before worrying about that stuff. First thing I will tell you is make sure you have great heat next on your list of to buys

diamond brian

I think spending too much time per $ is about the best mistake a new guy can make. You have time, so perfect your craft.

The Rotovac is a good tool. I don't like it with a porty though because it uses a lot of water. You're certainly losing time recovering water, dumping, filling, etc.

I agree that you should be using a push wand in lightly soiled areas. The Rotovac works better when used slowly. Use the hottest water available and low psi.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
The roto-vac is slow. When I ran a portable, I only used it if I had to. If you need to, raise your prices. Being a perfectionist will get you referrals and more business. I had a local cleaner here working with me one day and I still remember him telling me "the spot you don't get out just might be the one that keeps them from calling you next time". Every time I get lazy, I remember that. Do your best and charge what you need to. If they question your price, explain that you take the time to do the job right.
good luck.

Greg Loe

A local new guys was trying his best by taking his time, using a lot of prespray with lots of emulsifier(more is better), using slow wand strokes.

The only problem is it took 4 days to dry. More is not always better.

Just make sure to use more dry passes(more is better).

The best thing you can do is find someone to spend a day with learning.

Good luck

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I have a tm but I also clean a lot of high rises that require using the porty. A while back I had two condos to clean in the same building, same layout, type of carpet, similarly soiled, ect. One of them I pre-scrubbed with rotary and then wanded, the other I skipped pre-scrubbing but used the rotovac. Hands down I got cleaner carpet with the rotovac. The one I pre-scrubbed and wanded I did in one hour thirty minutes, the one I rotovaced I finished in one hour fifteen minutes. I did have to fill and dump the porty one extra time with the rotovac but I still saved time because one pass and it was clean. I did not measure sq footage but they were furnished with one br and lr,dr combo. Needless to say I now always use the rotovac with the porty, truthfully that is about the only time I use the rotovac other than really, really trashed carpet. I would also say the technique with the rotovac is important. DO NOT use it the way the rotovac people show you in their little video. Slow keyed forward stroke and then backward dry stroke is the best way. If you key forward and back and then dry pass every section like rotovac says you will soak the carpet and go through way to much water, especially using a porty. I don't remember who posted that info on ics but if they had not I would have probably dumped the rotovac.

doug450

Hay everybody thanks for your input I think I got something out of just about every one of your responses,I will probley get back to a couple of you with a Private message when I have time.
Thanks so much,
Doug

Greenie

Doug, we are just up I-15 from you in Lake Elsinore, Lisa is the RV queen (used daily for 7 years), feel free to call her. 866-438-8335 It will be the best call you made this year.

Back
Top Bottom