I knew I was in trouble when I pulled onto the street.

Becker

Name
Becker
Had 3 jobs today.

1st was booked a week ago.

Lady calls sez she got my name from her son.

She had some pet issues and was mostly looking for traffic areas, no furniture moving at all.

She made it sound so simple on the phone.

Funny how those that live the good life have no idea what avg is.....

At least what she thought was bad pet staining ended up only being a few spots in the master and family room.

But what I thought was going to be a quick in and out was a 1264 sq ft of traffic area only, plus a main flight of stairs, and back stairs.. I moved 2 chairs and a chest at the end of a bed.

Here is the best part, she already booked for the same cleaning 3 months for now, and wants a 3 month standing order. ..... OK.....

Had this happen more than once.
Last time..

On the phone she agreed her rooms were avg, or so.
Yeah a 550 sq ft master bedroom is not avg. Perhaps for her hood, but not for the avg stiff.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
If you priced it on the phone and were low then eat the difference. Here is how I handle it when it happens. I tell them this time you get the quoted price but next time it will be this much.

gene

Jamesh921

Name
James
Sounds like a pretty sweet deal, Beck. But, it sounds like you're not happy about it - did you underquote the job over the phone or something?

Sorry, I guess I'm just not catching your "tone" on your statements.

Becker

Name
Becker
Price was never a subject on the phone, never even asked for a quote.

Got there, she showed me though..

I told her I would measure and have a price for her. She said she was not concerned, I came highly recommended, and knew I would treat her fairly.

Before I got her a total she went out the door for a chiropractor appoint. Said she would be back and to just get started.
I was slightly concerned because I always get approval 1st.

Got a $30.00 cash tip at end of job.

The only thing I'm not happy about is being late to job 2. Hate being late. I give set appointment times.
But they understood when I called to explain I was running behind.
It was a sofa and 2 chairs job.
Ended up being on time for job 3.
600 sq ft and 2 flights of stairs. Oh and quick surface clean of a mattress.

It was a good day... Just surprises me how avg some people think they are.. When they clearly are not.

Becker

Name
Becker
GeneMiller said:
If you priced it on the phone and were low then eat the difference. Here is how I handle it when it happens. I tell them this time you get the quoted price but next time it will be this much.

gene

I've been there before.
A lot of times I explain 1st what I quoted them on, offer to meet 1/2 way.
Sometimes I give a price range...
And will just charge the top of the range if I was wrong, but explain the true cost for the future.

Had that happen last month.

A lady called.
Said she got my name from Kari Johnson.
She said her house was about the same size.
I gave her a range.
I pull on to the street and realize I have more than one client named Kari Johnson.
One lives in a 2200 sq ft home, the other a nearly 3000 sq ft home.
Yes, I ate a little on that job.
But I booked a tile job from it before I left.
Master bath floor, shower, and kitchen counters.
Master bath is the size of most standard bedrooms.
So it was a good tile upsale.

Name
R.J. Povio
Yeah we had one person call a 40 ft by 20 ft= 800 sq foot great room a good sized room (it was an addition on the house and personally the biggest 1 room I have ever seen). How in the world would I account for a room that size? 20x20 is a great room! I feel your pain.

Becker

Name
Becker
Ron Werner said:
I would have had to resched the other 2 jobs

yes, vac time alone would have been 1/2 a day for you.

lol

I'm excited to have her as a 4 time a year client..

It was an easy job... honestly.. no notable soil. maybe 3 doggie spots.and 4 other spills or spots.

left a stack of cards, hope she shares at tea time

John Watson

Becker, I feel your pain, New client today, also refered by another of our big mouth clients, #6 so far, When she called and scheduled she said she had 3-5 small rooms for us to do. Could I make sure to bring that secret juice I use for the stains that others can't get out. I said excuse me? She said Mrs X whom refered her told her about this wonderful secret juice I had that will just about remove anything, She has a coffee dribble about 10-12 feet long that nothing she has tried or the previous cleaner could remove. When we arrived this morning and she walked us through the job, She has another 2-3 additional rooms we will clean at another time she said, Fine we said, We then said we would measure it out and let her know of the cost before we start, She said why bother, I am going to pay you what you ask regardless, I have heard all about you and Helen and want your services. I even painted her coffee stain black, telling her it might be set, "If it is it is " she said. 1780 sqft with a flt of stairs, She only wants it once a year though with protecter. They are only here for 6 months a yr.

Besides the coffee dribbles and 5 or 6 small grease drops our 02 TLC and Rinse cleaned her pre=vaced and 95% of contents in different areas, (we moved 4 pieces) (housekeeper did everything yesterday) This carpet did not look soiled except for their office and all cleaned up beautimus.. While there one of her neighbors stopped by, She looked vagly familliar, Where's your little wife she asked? She was #2 of the 6 we have done,

It's days like today that make me glad I am still doing this, But Damn, Helen and I are both Tired.

Tomarrow We have a church and all their Pews to do. Bringing in our Granddaughters 20 yr old boyfriend to train on commercial.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I don't understand why you would ever have to split the difference?

Someone calls and says "I need 3 ave rooms done how much will that be" I don't say "Geeze avaerage that will be $95"

I say "An average room is usually under 200 sq ft and that is what we alot in our pricing, so the price would be $95 but some people have large living rooms or a large master bedroom and the price may increase do to additional sq footage I wanted to make you aware of this so i can be as honest in my estimate as possiblebut don't worry you will be thrilled with how they come out. We use the Xtreme Double clean method where you get your carpets cleaned twice ensuring they are as clean as possible we get 99.9% of all stains out you will be amazed would you like to know more about what we are going to do when we are in your home. Also, has your carpet had a protector aplied in the past etc etc."

this isn't a script it is just a general guideline about how we handle over the phone. No giving money away after we get there

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Becker said:

I told her I would measure and have a price for her. She said she was not concerned, I came highly recommended, and knew I would treat her fairly.

Before I got her a total she went out the door for a chiropractor appoint. Said she would be back and to just get started.

The only thing I'm not happy about is being late to job 2. Hate being late. I give set appointment times.

It was a good day... Just surprises me how avg some people think they are.. When they clearly are not.

That's why I never give set times. Being human and all that....and yes they understand. I schedule probably different from most. I tell them there is/are this many jobs before them and my estimate would be approx this time. I will call when on the way.
If there ever was an issue....which there never has been. I would say "I have to make sure to do the job right at the other home and I just can't put a time stamp on that".
They eat that crap up....because it's true.

Becker

Name
Becker
Happens so rarely Greg it is hardly an issue.

Normally if they ask I give them a ball park price. Explain how I charge and tell them how I will measure when getting there.

I did 3 rooms a couple of weeks ago.

2 bedrooms and a main living room
Just over 1000 sq ft.

GCP

Brian R said:
Becker said:

That's why I never give set times. Being human and all that....and yes they understand. I schedule probably different from most. I tell them there is/are this many jobs before them and my estimate would be approx this time. I will call when on the way.
If there ever was an issue....which there never has been. I would say "I have to make sure to do the job right at the other home and I just can't put a time stamp on that".
They eat that crap up....because it's true.

This is the method i use and it works GREAT, if ever life happens your covered.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Becker said:
Happens so rarely Greg it is hardly an issue.

Normally if they ask I give them a ball park price. Explain how I charge and tell them how I will measure when getting there.

I did 3 rooms a couple of weeks ago.

2 bedrooms and a main living room
Just over 1000 sq ft.

ball park is the key....and its better to ball park high, and come in a little lower...makes you look like a champ...

unless your ball park is a foul ball :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom