I love a freshly finished vct floor

TimP

Finished this floor on saturday. It's in a 100 yr old home the guy is fixing up.

finishedfloor2.jpg

finishedfloor1.jpg

finishedfloor3.jpg

Name
Bruce
Awesome pictures. My favorite part of carpet cleaning is going into all the different houses. Today I'm going into a house that was built in the 1880's.

TimP

The place was horrendous before he started fixing it up. He's spent tons of money on it. My in-laws business sold and did all their flooring. I just did the original finishing of the vct. I took those pictures from the guy's facebook page, so I didn't take the pictures. I thought it looked good after it dried cause I didn't stick around for it to dry since it was 7:30 when I put the final coat on.

Ryan

It looks good now.. but it won't in 6 months. Putting VCT in a house isn't very smat imo...

Ryan

TimP said:
The place was horrendous before he started fixing it up. He's spent tons of money on it. My in-laws business sold and did all their flooring. I just did the original finishing of the vct. I took those pictures from the guy's facebook page, so I didn't take the pictures. I thought it looked good after it dried cause I didn't stick around for it to dry since it was 7:30 when I put the final coat on.

If you didn't burnish out the last coat it won't hold up as well.

TimP

I don't have a burnisher and don't do enough VCT work to buy a burnisher, I do maybe 3-5 jobs a year as of now. And I wasn't the one asked about what was smartest to put in a home. I know it's not smart. But that's what was in that part of the house before and he is trying to restore it like it was when it was new. I didn't even sell the finishing job I was just asked to do it and who am I to refuse work. And the finish doesn't require it to be burnished of course. But I do appreciate the information about it lasting longer being burnished I wasn't aware. I know it's part of a maintenance program. But as long as they put felt on their chairs and all that good stuff it should last a good while.

BTW this is the description of the finish. I wanted to buy Ishine but this is the closest thing they had that don't need burnishing, but can be because if business picks up in vct or if someone wanted burnishing done I'd like to be able to do it at a later date.

White Sun® (18% non-volatile solids)
Diminishes the look of imperfections upon application, making flooring surfaces appear less blemished and creating a better than ever appearance. Gloss and clarity come into focus automatically enhancing the overall look of your floors while intensifying the depth with crystal clear transparency. Excellent appearance longevity without burnishing.

Ryan

Just trying to give some constructive critisim... I never said you where the one who told them to put the VCT in. You can pick up an electric bunisher rather cheap on Ebay if you ever get enough work to buy one. $300-400 will get a decent used one.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
If you didn't burnish out the last coat it won't hold up as well.
I suppose you are one of those who will waste his time buffing each coat also. If you buff before the first coat to close up the floor you will use less finish and it will dry faster.

the customer doesn't have the equipment to maintain it so your opinion is pointless

the last couple of days I did a Tire Factor store, 2 small gas stations, and a Back Yard Birds store

one thing a lot of you guys doing VCT should look at is using a maroon pad to scrub floor, a lot of the time you can avoid stripping the floor, it will look as if you stripped it, use less finsh to recoat and make more money in less time

Ryan

I maintain almost all the floors I do. And I do buff between each coat, they will hold up better that way.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I try to get the maintenance accounts, like the one for my dentist. But I think I finished myself out of the maintenance account, I did 6 to 7 coats of Betco's Hard as Nails... and I'll be dammed if after a year and half the stuff still looks great, hardly any scuffing or dulling. :shock: I have to remind myself only 4 coats next time so they'll use me to maintain it.

http://www.betco.com/SellSheets_EN/C101 ... 0Sheet.pdf

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I maintain almost all the floors I do. And I do buff between each coat, they will hold up better that way.

no they don't, you have just have trained yourself to think that

never met a janitor that didn't think he did floors better then the other janitor

They look good Tim, nice and clean

Hard as nails isn't a repairable floor finish, if you scrub it you pretty much have to recoat the entire floor to get it to match even with a propane buffer, so if you want to do maintenance you need a different product were you can scrub and recoat the traffic lane than propane buff and have the floor look the same across the entire surface

Ryan

Your do it your way and I'll do it mine. I know what works for me.

Name
Jesse
steve frasier said:
[

Hard as nails isn't a repairable floor finish, if you scrub it you pretty much have to recoat the entire floor to get it to match even with a propane buffer, so if you want to do maintenance you need a different product were you can scrub and recoat the traffic lane than propane buff and have the floor look the same across the entire surface

I'm curious weather you mean it can't handle burnishing, autoscrubbing with any pad, or both. My only experience with that finish is at a janitorial account that has about 30,000sf coated with it. When we 1st got the account it had just been waxed 1 month prior but was completely spider webbed (swirls) and we didn't know why. It took a strip and wax (same product) to make it look right and we haven't put a machine on it since that was done about 2 months ago.
Thanks.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
no ,you can burnish it but you will need a propane machine for hard as nails

if you were to scrub a 100' by 100' room, after scrubbing you will see where the wear patterns are. If you were to wax only the wear areas then propane buff the whole floor, if you use a floor finish that is repairable then you would be able to tell where you recoated the floor. But if you put down hard as nails then after you propane buffed the floor you would see where you waxed the floor. It won't match up where a repairable floor finish will

Ryan, I bet you use I Shine don't you and probably don't have a propane buffer so how would you know

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Actuelly I used that finish because I knew they wouldn't do any maintenance at all. Its a dentist office with a bunch of chairs and stations and hardly any open space.. it was a bitch to strip, but pretty easy to finish as by the time I worked my way around the entire office, I could restart as the first coat was dry.

There was no way that floor was going to get a burnishing.

Drbaker51618001.jpg

Drbaker51618002.jpg

Drbaker51618010.jpg

Drbaker51618007.jpg

Ryan

steve frasier said:
no ,you can burnish it but you will need a propane machine for hard as nails

if you were to scrub a 100' by 100' room, after scrubbing you will see where the wear patterns are. If you were to wax only the wear areas then propane buff the whole floor, if you use a floor finish that is repairable then you would be able to tell where you recoated the floor. But if you put down hard as nails then after you propane buffed the floor you would see where you waxed the floor. It won't match up where a repairable floor finish will

Ryan, I bet you use I Shine don't you and probably don't have a propane buffer so how would you know

I have two 27" propane machines and two 28" auto scrubbers.

I don't really care to debate VCT with you guys. I have a really good system that works for me and I make a lot of $$ doing VCT. I'm always looking to improve, but I could care less about getting into a pissing contest on this subject.

I used Johnson until I ran out of my truckload supply a few months ago.

4c49ecfd.jpg

Now I'm back to I-shine. It works great and I have a good relationship with my spartan dealer locally. He cuts me some nice deals.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I could restart as the first coat was dry.

best way to have to do it if you can

no pissing match here, I have a hammerhead, 2 21", a clark boost and a 20" nobles speed scrub. a lot of you guys throw money out the door in time and product, I just want to know why you do it

If a product comes out of the bottle milky white and a slight brown tinge how do you expect to get the best shine out of the floor with it?

I have used everything from Spartan from On and On to ProShine to I Shine, sorry but the stuff really doesn't compare in shine and is poor in repairability. If that stuff is like 22% solids they why do you need 5/6 coats? 4 coats should be plenty if you are doing maintenance.

Ryan

steve frasier said:
I could restart as the first coat was dry.

best way to have to do it if you can

no pissing match here, I have a hammerhead, 2 21", a clark boost and a 20" nobles speed scrub. a lot of you guys throw money out the door in time and product, I just want to know why you do it

If a product comes out of the bottle milky white and a slight brown tinge how do you expect to get the best shine out of the floor with it?

I have used everything from Spartan from On and On to ProShine to I Shine, sorry but the stuff really doesn't compare in shine and is poor in repairability. If that stuff is like 22% solids they why do you need 5/6 coats? 4 coats should be plenty if you are doing maintenance.

They run pallet jacks loaded with crap all over it in the grocery stores I do. That along with loaded down carts gives it a beating. I do maintenance twice a week on most of the stores and it wears down the finish over time so it helps to start out with it built up good.

As for throwing time out the door I'm locked in the stores with 1-3 employees depending on the size. I have to keep them busy for 8 hours until the store opens anyways.

Ryan

FloorPics176.jpg

5 coats of spartan I-shine. Yes that floor is dry. !gotcha!

I wish I had some pics of a big job but I can't find any.

Ryan

Just a thought, how old was the I-shine you used? One thing I like about my supplier is that I put my order in ahead of time and he gets it shipped from the factory fresh. Mine never looks brown or milky out of the bucket.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
steve frasier said:

no they don't, you have just have trained yourself to think that

never met a janitor that didn't think he did floors better then the other janitor

They look good Tim, nice and clean

muwhahahahaha

no joke....

also you want fresh.....i get mine 3 days after its made :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ewwww lock ins suck ass period...i hope they are paying you $$$$ for it

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Rent a burnisher like Lee said.......... It will look even better!

Now, make sure you tell the home owner what to use on that floor.. a no rinse-cleaner.. sams club is the best place for the homeowner to go... Pine-sol and others will remove that pretty finish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom