I need a new rotary machine

hogjowl

Idiot™
There are a couple of pieces of equipment that I am seriously considering purchasing soon. One is a Rotovac 360. The other is a another rotary machine.

As far as the rotary machine goes, I just can't seem to find a really well made one. I don't want another plastic piece of junk, like my Powerflite rotary. Plus, I'm not sure if I just need a 175 or if I need to spring for a 175/360 machine?

Where should I look for good rotary machines?

Scott Rogers

When using Jeff Browns 20" advance 300 rpm, that thing flys. great for open areas but you need a helper to keep adding solution to the tank. I would estimate 4000 feet a hour!

tcs said you could demo their RV360 if you want, I dont know how long they would let you have it though. With the non floating head I doubt it would work well on commercial, and it wont clean light to medium soiled residential as fast as a wand. I bet it will out clean a wand on heavy soil though. It is nice and light, (good for transport but will it affect cleaning and durability?)

Mike Brummett

Just about any used older style "heavy-metal" buffer on e-bay will do very nicely and hold up very well.

I bought a 17" Tornado for about $225 and, aside from not being all shiny looking, it has served me well with absolutely NO problems.

The Clarke FM-series is generally considered the "best", and they are rugged, but mostly selling their name. Hild or Tornado is just as good, as is NSS and several others. Some older Advance models are kind of iffy, IMO.
Pullman-Holt is garbage.

Don't know anything about the RV 360 from first-hand experience.

Good luck to you.

MIKE

Brian L

Name
Brian L
The next 175 I get, I will make sure the handle adjustment is up top, so I don't have to stoop over all the time to adjust the height.

Like the one Cobb is selling. I think it is an NSS.

G

As far as a rotary, I'd definitely get a dual speed! Powr-Flite does have the alternatives to their plastic housing they're all metal. At one time I had a bunch of the old Advance Matadors and loved them! So far I've been happy with my 175 all metal rotary from Powr-Flite. I bought it during a special for under $500 bucks. I'd like to pick up a dual speed rotary one of these days though.

As far as the RV 360. I don't own one, but have briefly used one. At first I wasn't a big fan of the RV 360, but the thing kind of grows on you. It's easy to handle, cleans well and is light. I don't like how the vac hose connects at the bottom though and there's a cord that tends to get in the way. The motor is also small.

Name
Lee Stockwell
We bought a very nice one from PowrFlite, all metal. 1.5hp triple planetary gears. Very smooth and quiet.

$400 plus shipping on sale. Favorably comparable to similar buffers we've had before like Pacific, Hild, or Clarke.

My all-time favorite we bought new in 1975. A 1.5hp 320rpm Clarke FM17 with solution tank and a spare 20" Instalok. I regret selling it 20 years later because there is nothing quite like it still made today. About $900 back then.

ron markam

Jimmy has the dualspeed Tennant. I have used the dual speed advance. If I was gonna buy one it would be an Advance ,Clarke or Tennant. Make sure you get one with the handle adjustment on top I have a couple of Advances with that feature and it makes a world of difference. There is something about the higher speed that makes a difference. Although Danny says rectifiers go out in them.

The Preacher

at the jan/san house i worked for the repair guy was the one who told me about the rectifiers on dual speed machines, he said just get a 300rpm and be done with it.

i agree with Brummet, a Clarke FM is heavy and will out last most of us. they weigh a ton and are like $1500-1800, but over 10-20 years thats peanuts!!!

Scott

We had an old Nobles 17" before we sold it. It was starting to look crappy and we didn't need it. It was chrome and heavy as heck. The wheels were too close together and it was very tippy when rolled around corners. The handle adjustment was about shin height and when it broke we used wingnuts and screws to hold the handle in place. It really was fugly but worked like a champ. Oh, and it had a variable speed adjustment, not just low or high. That was a neat feature.

So now that we sold it, we recently picked up some accounts and need 2 more. LOL!

I'm also in the hunt so I'll stay tuned to the thread.

Ron or Danny, which model has rectifier problems?

Are there any that still have variable speeds or are only hi/low speed units avail. now?

Thanks,

Scott

Back
Top Bottom