I need a VCT guy..

Mikey P

Administrator
I need to find a reliable and skilled strip and wax guy. Needs command of the English language, his own equipment and be able to be left alone to work without worry.

How would you suggest I find one?

Last edited:

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
pay my gas from missouri let me sleep in the garage and guarantee me at least 1.5 feet of subway sandwiches a day and I will come help

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Put a cot in the chicken coop and i'm there!
Still would be warmer then here :errf: and no more snow....

Hardest tech for me to find right now, younger people hate doing it for all good reasons. Late night, odor, stripper feet, physical labor, etc,etc.

Probably will have to interview 10 people or more to find one. That and charge enough so you can pay $20 hour or more for a lead.
Bribery is about the only thing i know that always works.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
That was one of the best connections that I made years ago. Next time you see a nice vct floor, find out who did it. Sometimes the supply houses will know the good ones. Go from there.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
That was one of the best connections that I made years ago. Next time you see a nice vct floor, find out who did it. Sometimes the supply houses will know the good ones. Go from there.

But a nice floor in smaller locations....you go big box type stores and 2 things are bound to come up...

someone doing it for a MMM and doesnt speak english....

or possible in house

I have picked up a few from a couple of supply houses (not many anymore as i dont buy from them :eekk:)

if you go through the supply place....by all means call a few and chat with them....

also decide if you want to make money on it, or if you just want to provide a service for your custy, and are making money on the back side with carpets etc.... If you want money find out what their rates are, and decide if you can go higher.....

I generally bid more the 1st time and then drop the price a little if i am coming back to strip it in a year or what ever...as it is MUCH easier then, and takes sometimes HALF the time as the 1st

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
mike you might be very surprised what your customers will pay you to do this.Im sure you have a 175 and a mop bucket.Get a razor blade on a stick and a flat
fiber mop from lowes and get to work.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
The school in question (that I subbed out to last year) just wants it cleaned and maybe one top coat put down. I can (and have ) done that before. I've actually stripped and waxed a few in my day. I guess I'll just charge what I need to make ($3.00 a foot) to do this stuff since it appears there is NO ONE in Scruz who does it anymore.

Doug, lets talk soon.

Lefty724

Name
E
I could help you out, but I mostly do new vct installs?

I've only done a few full strip and waxes, not too experienced.

I think there was a guy around here that was really good and his company was call Snow White?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
The school in question (that I subbed out to last year) just wants it cleaned and maybe one top coat put down. I can (and have ) done that before. I've actually stripped and waxed a few in my day. I guess I'll just charge what I need to make ($3.00 a foot) to do this stuff since it appears there is NO ONE in Scruz who does it anymore.

Doug, lets talk soon.

I could help you out, but I mostly do new vct installs?

I've only done a few full strip and waxes, not too experienced.

I think there was a guy around here that was really good and his company was call Snow White?

Floorguy 724.....thats about as damn near to a new strip as you can get....should be no edge detail work (scraper type stuff) only some doodle bugging to scuff it up....use a good neutral cleaner, or one of the ones that like johnson says is a cleaner...(i dont use the name brand or national floor care stuffs so i dont know what it is)

And Mike...it need more then 1 coat, even if it is only a scrub and not strip 2 min......and i usually just do 3, because on a scrub...that 3rd makes it POP...

i do 3 on strips to....I put it down heavy enough that a 4th is a waste because it streaks (drys but not cured enough to add coats....its all in the chemistry of how floor finish works)

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom