I purchased my V and the exhaust brake is not functioning!!

hogjowl

Idiot™
If yours has the idle adjustment knob on the dash ... the one that allows you to adjust the idle while the V is warming up in the mornings... check it to see if it is adjusted up some. On mine, the exhaust brake won't work if the idle switch is adjusted up any at all.

Because it interprets that as having your foot on the throttle.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the exhaust break is pretty much the exact same set up as the exhaust diverter...

there is a switch that comes off of the gas petal linkage (?) and tells the exhaust brake to close when you take your foot off of the gas.....even with the knob Marty described it still should work slowing down at high speeds .....

You engine idle speed is normally 625..warmed up ...so if you are going 45 mph for example and you take your foot off the gas the exhaust break should help you slow down until you get to about 15 mph and then it releases.....It is important ...it helps the truck slow down at high speeds..

so it is the switch has gone out......
does the light on the dash come on or off at all....

if they fused it it may have blown......

the flap on the inside of the exhaust pipe could be stuck....

could be a air leak some where....

or the canister blew it diagram....

IMG_3582-1.jpg

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Don'T know for sure on a "V" but on a semi cruise control switches on the pedal and idle speed control knobs will both stop the brake from working at all. If your truck has an electric high idle switch it would also have to be off for the brake to work

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I checked the v today and the indicator light on the dash does not come on or off when I toggle the switch. Where is switch on the pedal at?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I was talking to a mechanic about this about a year and a half ago and he was telling me mine was going out
so I bought a new one and come to find out it just needed adjusting.......I am not 100% sure but I think he said it was inside that column that comes up from the floor to the steering wheel..

here is what it looks like so you know what you are looking for..... and here is the UD part number....

BTW..what is your engine RPM warmed up sitting at an idle.......

IMG_3978.jpg

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
The switches like the one above should be mounted on a plate behind your brake or fuel pedal just like a brake light switch.

If you were closer I would have you stop by because jake brakes are easy to diagnose

Name
BradFenstermaker
Micheal if your truck has some mileage on it like mine, you could have some bad exhaust leaks.

Mine is a 99 Venturi truck with above normal high mileage. When my exhaust brake was on it would just scream like a cat.

Took it in to UD mech and they fixed gasket leaks from oil drips and the exhaust manifold had several leaks. After new mani and turbo gasket set she runs like new.

Valve adjustment will do your truck wonders too.

Have any diesel mechanic that seems knowledgeably check it out for you then learn as you go.

Did you get a Vent truck?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I found it..Larry was correct...Mine is a 2004 and the switch is located on the right side of the gas pedal..hooked to all the linkage..

IMG_3980.jpg

Years ago on my 2004 ud I had a knob on the dash that would increase the RPM's for warming up on cold morning. This cable got twisted up and caused all kinds of issues, IE: the exhaust brake not working. I took this knob off and never looked back.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Thanks for the info guys. I looked at mine and is similair to jims but just rigged up differently. What I find weird is that when i turn on the truck the light for the exhast brake does not turn on. Is there a light for it?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
dealtimeman said:
Thanks for the info guys. I looked at mine and is similair to jims but just rigged up differently. What I find weird is that when i turn on the truck the light for the exhast brake does not turn on. Is there a light for it?

yes in the bottom center of the dash is where mine is.....
turn on the truck and play with the switch and see if the light comes on

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I know where the fuse box is but what is the specific fuse location labled with? (ie hazard- turn, enginesub, parking lights.)

Name
BradFenstermaker
I haven't a clue where the switch is.

Like Jim said just turn the ignition switch to accerssorie position and all the lights on the dash should come on.

The light should be on the bottom right side of the instrument cluster. Looks like two lines parrallel with a dash at the bottom then several lines like a flat top at the top.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
dealtimeman said:
I know where the fuse box is but what is the specific fuse location labled with? (ie hazard- turn, enginesub, parking lights.)

I grabbed a flashlight and went and looked and there is nothing that specifies which fuse it could be..I looked on the inside panel and the outside box.....you may have to pull them one by one and look at them or test each one...

turn on the truck and try moving the switch around some

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
it would be easier to unplug the switch harness and test to see if there is power going to it and then if there is then it is probably a bad switch....if not then play musical fuses and see if you can find a bad one...
also lose the jam nut on the thing and pull it back far enough to push the top button in and out..just mark the spot where the nut was so it goes back where it belongs....

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Before you test you need to know if the switch is a poitive or negative switch. If its a negative switch then your tester wont tell you nothing.

Take a jumper wire and jump the 2 pins in the harness and see if your light comes on

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Take a jumper wire and jump the 2 pins in the harness and see if your light comes on

but if it has a negative ground like most of the things on this truck you will short something out
take a 12 volt test light first and touch each side and see if the test light lights up......to be sure that the t switch is not just breaking a positive feed....

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
If that is a 2 wire switch they are both for +/- not one of each. Most but not all pedal switches are just a negative interrupt switch and that's why I said to just jump the wires in the harness.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
test light be safe not sorry...this truck is not wired like most

I will unplug mine tomorrow and test it so you know what to look for.............

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
again Larry is correct..it is a negative or a positive..When I went out and looked it is a 3 wire harness...so I was sure there was a extra ground but I got smart and pulled the new switch out of the drawer and it is a 3 pin harness but it only has 2 pins tucked inside......

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
On a roll what can I say.

99% of my family is in the trucking business so I know alot about class 3 trucks and how they work.

8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom