I was asked today for a written contract...

Able 1

Name
Keith
Not even sure what one would include. :oops: I'm new to the whole commercial thing... I emailed an estimate from QB ,and thought that would be good enough. Anyone have a copy to check out? PM or post here.

Thanks alot,
Keith

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Let the contract be as bare bones as possible. A contract does not really bind them to anything. They can dump you whenever they want. What you want to do is make them put the contract away in some drawer or file cabinet and never look at it again.

Details that will change over time such as the price, maybe even the areas covered, how often and so forth can be in a separate document and just referenced.

Then your quote (not estimate, becaus estimates can be off or change) will have the details of what is done, how it is done and the price.

The contract will just say that cleaning will be done as specific in the then current quote and specificatiosn. This is like the little cards you sign to join a book club, record card or whatever. You will always be billed "at the then current price."

You might add that either party can cancel with 30 days written notice. They will cancel if they feel like it anyway.

Then you provide good service and make sure they never take the contract out of the drawer. It should never expire or run out. That only leads them to put it up for bids.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
A contract just proves permission and keeps everyone on the same page (literally) with what's to be done.

Fletch

I just did my first commercial job this week. I too would like to see a good contract, especially one that speaks to a recurring schedule. I can see how commercial work could even things out throughout the year for me.

Thanks

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
This is possibly going to be a bit long.

First off, take a look at the outside of the building before you even walk in to do a quote. Look for things like clean landscape, and over all a well taken care of building. That will give you and idea or whether or not the people that own, or lease the building care about the maintenence of it.

There are a multitude of selling points you can use. Appearence is the obvious, and the second being health, followed by investment protection. Your job is to figure which one(s) of these reason is why they've called you. If you're working with a multi-level building, ask if you can get a copy of the floor plans from them.

ASK to walk through the building, with someone that is in charge or a person thats associated with the building maintainence is even better. Write a lot of notes on things that you notice. High traffic areas, soiling levels, coffee and water stains near drinking fountains and break/cafeteria areas. Ask them questions on what they're wanting to accomplish with the cleaning(s).

You're typically going to find buildings with cubicals in them. I measure the areas wall-to-wall and then deduct 30% from that to cover the amount of space the cubicals are going to cover. I also measure out the common areas that aren't inside the cubicals. If wouldn't hurt if you did a cubical and chair count too, those get dirty and need cleaning also.

Now you actually have enough information to make a professional judgement call on their cleaning needs. Then you start making suggestions based on what they're wanting to accomplish. Clean the common areas every 3 months, twice with encap twice with HWE, alternating cleaning methods each cleaning. Clean everything twice a year, and the common areas get hit with an encap or bonnet at a cleaning in between.

People love options, when you give them only one option its either going to be yes or no. If you give them several options then you have a stronger chance at them picking one of them rather than throwing your quote away.

I break my "contracts" down somewhat like this.

-3 month cleaning -

Square footage x .15 = $total per cleaning

- 6 month cleaning -

Square footage x .20 = $total per cleaning

- Annual Cleaning -

Square footage x .30 = $total per cleaning

You may have a totally different format like this:

- Custom Cleaning Package -

Common areas(5000 sq ft) x .15 = $total [To be cleaned every 3 months ]
Cubical areas (3000 sq ft) x .20 = $total [ To be cleaned every 6 months ]
Office chairs (150 count) x $7.00 [ To be cleaned annually ]

Total Annual cost = $$$$$$$$
Total to be billed MONTHLY = $$$$

I hope this helps some of you. This method is great for monthly residual income. It does have its risks, based on accounts not paying on time. Also for larger contracts, you may need to invest in some equipment(Cimex, Portables, Another TM & Van). I urge you to be cautious, I've watched a lot of people invest major money into these things only to lose the contact a few months down the road. You then have an investment that you have no revenue to pay it off and make money from. Don't bite more off than you can chew and don't always look at the $$$$$$. Start small, and grow into the bigger accounts if thats what you want to do. Or simply stay in smaller commercial - every bit of residual income you can obtain is going to save you behind in the slower winter months. If you're cleaning frequently; and alternating between encap/bonnet and HWE schedule the encap/bonnet cleanings in the WINTER. You'll thank yourself for not have to drag out the truckmount in the snow and cold.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Good stuff Steve... It seems to be a whole different ball game compared to resi. work.

I really don't like to do commercial work, but it will probably help me through the winter a little more.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Able 1 said:
Not even sure what one would include. :oops: I'm new to the whole commercial thing... I emailed an estimate from QB ,and thought that would be good enough. Anyone have a copy to check out? PM or post here.

Thanks alot,
Keith

Shoot me an email.. I'll send one of mine over...
Jeremy@EncapStore.com

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
What Steven offered is indeed great information. However, I would refer to that as the proposal or quatation rather than a contract.

Advance Notice!

For those interested in help writing commercial proposals, making calls on commercial accounts, doing presentations for commercial customers an so forth - The Options Commercial Bidding package that used to sell for around $200 is now on a special deal for $99.95.

This includes the forms that you can print out and customize . spreadh sheets to figure a bid, Powerpoint presentation and so forth.

This is only for Mikey's board members. You must call or email me to get this deal. Becuase the computer (and my bosses) don't know I am making this Mikey's Board special deal early.

I will even throw in free shipping. This is good for next month - MAY - only. You can order earlier and I will get it sent out on May 1st.

C

Cleanit

Steven Hoodlebrink said:
This is possibly going to be a bit long.

First off, take a look at the outside of the building before you even walk in to do a quote. Look for things like clean landscape, and over all a well taken care of building. That will give you and idea or whether or not the people that own, or lease the building care about the maintenence of it.

There are a multitude of selling points you can use. Appearence is the obvious, and the second being health, followed by investment protection. Your job is to figure which one(s) of these reason is why they've called you. If you're working with a multi-level building, ask if you can get a copy of the floor plans from them.

ASK to walk through the building, with someone that is in charge or a person thats associated with the building maintainence is even better. Write a lot of notes on things that you notice. High traffic areas, soiling levels, coffee and water stains near drinking fountains and break/cafeteria areas. Ask them questions on what they're wanting to accomplish with the cleaning(s).

You're typically going to find buildings with cubicals in them. I measure the areas wall-to-wall and then deduct 30% from that to cover the amount of space the cubicals are going to cover. I also measure out the common areas that aren't inside the cubicals. If wouldn't hurt if you did a cubical and chair count too, those get dirty and need cleaning also.

Now you actually have enough information to make a professional judgement call on their cleaning needs. Then you start making suggestions based on what they're wanting to accomplish. Clean the common areas every 3 months, twice with encap twice with HWE, alternating cleaning methods each cleaning. Clean everything twice a year, and the common areas get hit with an encap or bonnet at a cleaning in between.

People love options, when you give them only one option its either going to be yes or no. If you give them several options then you have a stronger chance at them picking one of them rather than throwing your quote away.

I break my "contracts" down somewhat like this.

-3 month cleaning -

Square footage x .15 = $total per cleaning

- 6 month cleaning -

Square footage x .20 = $total per cleaning

- Annual Cleaning -

Square footage x .30 = $total per cleaning

You may have a totally different format like this:

- Custom Cleaning Package -

Common areas(5000 sq ft) x .15 = $total [To be cleaned every 3 months ]
Cubical areas (3000 sq ft) x .20 = $total [ To be cleaned every 6 months ]
Office chairs (150 count) x $7.00 [ To be cleaned annually ]

Total Annual cost = $$$$$$$$
Total to be billed MONTHLY = $$$$

I hope this helps some of you. This method is great for monthly residual income. It does have its risks, based on accounts not paying on time. Also for larger contracts, you may need to invest in some equipment(Cimex, Portables, Another TM & Van). I urge you to be cautious, I've watched a lot of people invest major money into these things only to lose the contact a few months down the road. You then have an investment that you have no revenue to pay it off and make money from. Don't bite more off than you can chew and don't always look at the $$$$$$. Start small, and grow into the bigger accounts if thats what you want to do. Or simply stay in smaller commercial - every bit of residual income you can obtain is going to save you behind in the slower winter months. If you're cleaning frequently; and alternating between encap/bonnet and HWE schedule the encap/bonnet cleanings in the WINTER. You'll thank yourself for not have to drag out the truckmount in the snow and cold.

What a GREAT! and helpfull post my Friend.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom