Ice Dam Cicle Removal

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I can't remember if I've ever seen so many houses with giant ice formations hanging from their gutter as I do now. Anybody here provide an ice removal service? What would you charge - I'm thinking by the hour or maybe by the linear foot. I'd wanna do a damage waiver. You don't want a call in the spring about a thousand dollar bush that got damaged.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
The insurance companies will most of the time only pay you a small amount of money to just cut a trough/path through one spot of the ice damn....

Some might spring more money, but I have had friends employees fall of the roofs and get banged up pretty bad....

Supposed to be in harnesses, but there is no place to really secure a line and to bring in some sort of scaffold or lift, the insurance companies and homeowners don't want to pay for the time and expense.

Some guys are only able to get $250 for their time, effort and freezing their nads off!

I have had to do it to a couple sections of my roof....it sucks!

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I'm thinking staying on the ground using a long stem pole .. Home Depot has them in 3 ft sections .. they also have the hooked gutter tool so the pressure sprays down. I didn't consider billing ins company .. I'm thinking riding up - kickin the door down and ask if they'd like most of their ice removed for x amount of dollars !!

I'd focus on single story and split level only. I won't even climb a roof in the summer time.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Rain coats and hats....and have extras for the day....

You will be a new popsicle after each job... :)

It takes a lot of water and time to knock or steam those things off....and be careful, you can cause damage to the roof with the high pressure and steam.

It takes off the sand part of the shingle....

I wouldn't know how I know that :shifty:

Reactions: Spurlington

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm thinking staying on the ground using a long stem pole

forget it If you're actually trying to prevent ice dam water intrusion (water seeping under shingles) and not just knocking down icicles .
You have to remove inch(s) thick ice a couple feet up the roof

don't know how "environmentally responsible" it is, but we used water softener pellet salt to get holes going to help bust up

001-3.jpg

steve_64

salt will deteriorate the asphalt shingles. dries them out or something.

use calcium chloride. start at the bottom of the ice pack ( about a foot or two) and work your way up to avoid water traveling up under the shingles.

you can also chip away some of the ice first if you are careful and dont use to much force.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom