If all U had was a Hammer

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
Sometimes it amazes me how little some Operators have in their trucks in terms of "tools" in their "tool box". Do they think that they can use the same procedure(s) on each and every job situation, or is it that they take short-cuts because they are in a lazy rut?

When one thinks about it, even a Carpenter --to a--Brain Surgeon has many different tools to do different situations.

Think about this: "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!" :hopeless:

Cut it or slice it anyway you wish but it still boils down to an over reliance on the familiar. If we have only one way to do things (hammer) then we might think all problems (nails) have the same solution (hammer). Therefore, we always choose the hammer even if the problem needs a totally different kind of solution. The lesson learned from this is to understand that different problems require different solutions---not just one way---not just one solution.

I have witnessed many Operators approach to stains, spots, discolorations, etc.....and only a few will rely on "speciality" products (tools)while others may push them aside by using their extractor or scrubber. I wonder why. Is it because they already have the floor wand in their hand, or is it because they are just plain lazy? Or, do not have the proper education?

A true Professional always and consistently separates themselves from the competition by taking that extra step. After all the customer looks to them to solve their problems. That's called: Responsibility. :clap:

Something to think about. (???)

Best to all

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Mikey P

Administrator
If you were asked to help sett up a friend or relative to be a primarily residential carpet cleaner who dabbles in some commercial work as well as a few apartment buildings to fill his winters, AND you have a $80k budget to play with for equipment, how would you set him up Ed?

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
This is a great question and one which may open up a can of worms on any board. Why? Obviously there are those who stand on either side of the fence when it comes to equipment; procedures, etc...in answering this question.

IMHO, ---assuming he was gifted this money-?----,I would first suggest having this fellow ride along with others; perhaps investigate many types of equipment offered, and speak to several individuals of good reputation within our Industry. This information would be very valuable. Then, it would be in his favor to take a couple courses, read material on line, etc. (something we never had an opportunity to do when I got started in 1971). The internet (remember, Gore invented it!) is a great tool to take advantage of in this day and age.

I would also suggest starting smaller because at first, he wouldn't have more than one customer anyways to begin with other than his friends home(s). I would acquire a decent van; get a beautiful wrap (lettering; "billboard on wheels); a high- performance TM/Portable or a very low cost gasoline TM (I believe operating from a truck but having the versatility of a mobile is very important at the beginning since utilizing one unit will help conserve investment at first).

Then, I would put the remaining money in the bank and work my business hard each and every day. I would go out and sell-sell-sell; clean--clean--clean until he built it enough to purchase another truck and employ a full time employee (if that was the goal). After some experience, he will obviously determine if he wants to say in this Industry, or not.

Many assumptions here, but I hope this helps answer the question. Thanks for asking!

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Bruce
Ed, from everything you said in your first post , I think Mike was asking how would you set up that friend with equipment so they had more then just a hammer to work with? At least that's what I got out of his question

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
I believe that when a "Newbie" enters the ring it would be fair once he/she gets their feet wet to see if they really like this industry as a profession before they go all out. It is important that they start out with something that helps them to compete at a level where the majority of their competition is at; then, add more options as they progress and grow.

Lets face it, I have always stated that the more tools in the tool box is great and a hugh asset for anyone. These "tools" include types of equipment; and a selection of various cleaning agents/spotters. Having a rotary scrubber of some sort is great but based on my experience, the majority of beginners do not acquire this nor should they until they get a little experience. This will help them determine the specific type and model that would best suit their needs and requirements.

At the beginning I am emphasizing that the "Newbie" should Crawl before he/she Walks (so to speak) so that they are not sold a bill of goods (without the sugar-coating) only because they are not experienced enough. Once they are, they will acquire greater confidence for sure.

Whether one is "gifted" that amount of money, or it is "borrowed" money, it is all the same: It was hard earned money with a lot of sweat equity.

Hope this helps answer the question, Bruce.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey
Back
Top Bottom