If I built the Vortex

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I love the BLUEline 240 waste tank and the 250 (ish) fresh tank the great hose reels but........

I would use a diesel fired heater.

That would get rid of all diverter valves, HX, and most sensors etc. No more problems.

95% of all problems would be solved. You would have a very simple machine with massive amounts of suck and limitless heat. The cost of the truck would go waaaaaay down and maintenance would be next to nothing. The perfect truck for under $75K. Fuel cost would go up but well worth it.

What do you think?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
AdamHale said:
I love the BLUEline 240 waste tank and the 250 (ish) fresh tank the great hose reels but........

That would get rid of all diverter valves, HX, and most sensors etc. No more problems.

95% of all problems would be solved. You would have a very simple machine with massive amounts of suck and limitless heat. The cost of the truck would go waaaaaay down and maintenance would be next to nothing. The perfect truck for under $75K. Fuel cost would go up but well worth it.

What do you think?

"ZEROREZ"....I think It ...has been done already... :?:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i would still like to have an option for a conventional hx option for the southern guys who would like one, but you are right a lot easier setup but most guys will not like to fill up with two fuels.

Ryan

FCC said:
Bob Foster said:
If I built the Vortex I would keep the roll up side door and throw the rest away... and I'm dead serious.

I'd do the same.

Probably focus less on weight distribution, bling, and using the entire canvas as a "mobile cleaning plant" ( I realize there is still a lot of room but...)

Probably an isuzu IPU, twin mid sized blowers, and diesel burner.............but thats just me

Dosn't stanley steamer have a patent for twin blowers? Or you mean run a wand off of each?

Name
George Valliant
AdamHale said:

What do you think?

AMEN Brother!!!

Who's ever idea this is should have their fooking head examined:
100_1550.jpg

I'll take the heat system out of this old rig anytime!:
1358495943.jpg

It seems like a no brainer for a big truck that's already hauling 30 gallons of diesel. I'd much rather PM some soot off a few coils every few years vs. the nighmare associated with big HX designs. Besides, who cares about exhaust? You're already blowing smoke from the pto anyway.

It took nearly 4 weeks of down time just to get one single component of my big HX system repaired. And I'm still not done!!! thathurts

Imagine how simple the repair would have been if they'd tee'd the main fuel line to an igniter, squirel cage, jet, and a coffee can with about 20' of SS coil stuffed inside... No, no, no, that would have been toooo easy!!! Instead, I'm troubleshooting things like engine vacuum, boosters, diverters, breathers, solenoids, thermostats, probes, 3 sets of HX's... etc, etc..

Fooking a$$holes!!!!

What the fook are you thinking?

That's why my next truck might be a ZeroRez or a Duane Oxley http://acceleratedtruckmounts.com/.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I have a 440k heater. Brutal heat. Seldom need it.

Of course kero units have maintenance issues too. Flow switches, thermostats, ignitors, and filters.

Thanks,
Lee

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
AdamHale said:

95% of all problems would be solved. What do you think?

I love the simplicity of my White Magic HX system with heat from the radiator and the blower exaust. No problems no maintenance for the last 7 years. 240 degree heat. No way would I be comfortable driving around with a bomb in my van. And with my carelessness there is the chance I would be pictured in an issue of Bane's CleanTimes sobbing next to my burning van. Not worth the risks for a few extra degrees.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
One good thing about that idea is that you won't be driving around with a bomb (gasoline) in your truck. Diesel doesn't explode, just burns.

It is very easy and cheap to simply keep a burner transformer & flow switch on the truck, take 10-15 minutes to change it when in wears out, than to be down a long time.

Only one fuel if running a diesel engine.

If carpet cleaners where only than sensible.

Greenie

PS:

what kind of silencer is Under that Mailbox?

So the blower air goes UP the cinderblocks and doubles back down the outside walls and out the floor?

ghostrider

Greenie, the silencer is before the mailbox, the air comes from the blower, through the silencer , into the mailbox, up and then back down through the floor, sorry thought the previous post might confuse someone.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Lee Stockwell said:
I have a 440k heater. Brutal heat. Seldom need it.

Of course kero units have maintenance issues too. Flow switches, thermostats, ignitors, and filters.

Thanks,
Lee

That's right there my only problem with the diesel burner. that stupid flowswitch underneath the burner. Every time i have some scale junk getting stuck inside the flowswitch, I'm "running for my life" and my "truckmount's life" to turn off the flame!

It should be only burning full force when water travels thru the system. If I don't hear the burner going on and off during work, I'm stressing about the flowswitch getting stuck and keep burning< therefore raising the pressure inside the system and eventually blowing up my heater!

I do descale my unit every couple of hundred hours, but I can't seem to prevent junk build up and sticking the flowswitch.

I don't run chems thru the system except for the liquid judson O2 rinse. That should not cause any build up.

Water softener is not an option right now- i don't have enough room in the van. Unless there is a miniature water softener (like the "waterstick or whatever)

Sorry for hijacking...

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Zalan Szabo (zee) said:
[quote="Lee Stockwell":14m6djnb]I have a 440k heater. Brutal heat. Seldom need it.

Thanks,
Lee

That's right there my only problem with the diesel burner. that stupid flowswitch underneath the burner. Every time i have some scale junk getting stuck inside the flowswitch, I'm "running for my life" and my "truckmount's life" to turn off the flame!

It should be only burning full force when water travels thru the system. If I don't hear the burner going on and off during work, I'm stressing about the flowswitch getting stuck and keep burning< therefore raising the pressure inside the system and eventually blowing up my heater!

I do descale my unit every couple of hundred hours, but I can't seem to prevent junk build up and sticking the flowswitch.

I don't run chems thru the system except for the liquid judson O2 rinse. That should not cause any build up.

Water softener is not an option right now- i don't have enough room in the van. Unless there is a miniature water softener (like the "waterstick or whatever)

Sorry for hijacking...[/quote:14m6djnb]

for me when the flow switch stuck, the thing just wouldnt fire(maybe a fail safe on mine) but i would have to go out and play toggle hockey to make it work for a job...what a PITA...

new flow switch, and bam back in biz baby

Greenie

ghostrider said:
Greenie, the silencer is before the mailbox, the air comes from the blower, through the silencer , into the mailbox, up and then back down through the floor, sorry thought the previous post might confuse someone.

Thanks Chuck.

Now you knew this was coming.....

Obviously you are losing some potential heat from the silencer, why not run the blower straight to the mailbox and then duct to a silencer after....seems you would have gained a bit in the sound attenuation as well assuming the mailbox is insulated to some degree?

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Zalan Szabo (zee) said:
[quote="Lee Stockwell":3i70fr4v]I have a 440k heater. Brutal heat. Seldom need it.

Thanks,
Lee

Sorry for hijacking...[/quote:3i70fr4v]

That must be a different set up than the Powermatic. I can remember it getting stuck once or twice over the years, but I could easily overcome that by using the warm up valve and cracking it open a little to keep the flow high enough so as not to over heat until I could replace it. But to have this happen every couple hundred hours would be very frustrating.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
For those who have out of control heat happening, on occasion, you need to install another high heat limit safety device to shut off the burner.

I would think the thermostat would keep the burner from staying on if there is a malfunction, unless it is the thermostat malfunctioning.

George said:
It seems like a no brainer for a big truck that's already hauling 30 gallons of diesel. I'd much rather PM some soot off a few coils every few years vs. the nighmare associated with big HX designs. Besides, who cares about exhaust? You're already blowing smoke from the pto anyway.

It took nearly 4 weeks of down time just to get one single component of my big HX system repaired. And I'm still not done!!! thathurts

Imagine how simple the repair would have been if they'd tee'd the main fuel line to an igniter, squirel cage, jet, and a coffee can with about 20' of SS coil stuffed inside... No, no, no, that would have been toooo easy!!! Instead, I'm troubleshooting things like engine vacuum, boosters, diverters, breathers, solenoids, thermostats, probes, 3 sets of HX's... etc, etc..

Fooking a$$holes!!!!

What the fook are you thinking?

They aren't!

Greenie

You have to give kudos to thermostatically controlled fuel burners, not having a flow switch is one less thing to worry about, and probably why you will always see little giant style heaters in the industry, they just plain work.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Greenie said:
You have to give kudos to thermostatically controlled fuel burners, not having a flow switch is one less thing to worry about, and probably why you will always see little giant style heaters in the industry, they just plain work.

So how is the el diablo doing it? It does have a thermostat and a flowswitch, and it still burns without having the trigger pulled.
The pressure builds up sometimes to 1200-1300psi because of the flame being on! If I turn down the thermostat it turns off the flame, and that indicates a stuck flowswitch.
If I pull the flowswitch out and clean it a bit, it works fine again.

ghostrider

Thanks Chuck.

Now you knew this was coming.....

Obviously you are losing some potential heat from the silencer, why not run the blower straight to the mailbox and then duct to a silencer after....seems you would have gained a bit in the sound attenuation as well assuming the mailbox is insulated to some degree?

Greenie, you do have a valid point however what you made up in sound attenuation would be lost by dupming to atmosphere after the mailbox, think 6008 and early 7000 trucks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom