If you have a Clutch Drive System

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
Do you run your machine with the hood of your engine up to vent the heat? Someone suggested to me this would help the engine components last longer. I'm running a hotter than stock thermostat to bump up the heat and I'm going through several sets of plug wires a year. I wonder if it would make any difference.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Tie-wrap your plug wires as far from the exhaust manifolds as you can......and of course use 8mm wires wit the correct plug angle connection!
I run a 205 stat and want as much heat as i can get in there!

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I do all the time. I notice that my plug wires last longer. I have a GMC with a 5.7 and it always has plug wire problems or some stupid sensor that cracked from heat. Leaving the hood open has helped. I don't like having the hood up, looks like your broke down. But if it keeps the van on the road and out of the shop I would rather look broke down than be broke down.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
That's why i yank all them sensors and the brain outta my trucks when i get them........the truck runs like I want it to...not some computer!

tman7

Supportive Member
Name
Tony Gillihan
I bought a set of Accel 9000 Extreme 9000 Ferro-Spiral Heat Reflective Ignition Wires
and they have started cracking after a month. I only have a chevy 4.3 l engine.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
when I ran the CDS I just put a electric fan on the out side of the radiator behind the grill....then wired it to a switch on the dash.....The only time I found it necessary to switch on was when we would get around 110/115....if you want to get real fancy about it you could hook it to a stat so that at a certain temp it will turn itself on.....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
bob vawter said:
Tony...all i can think of is...
you didn't have yor plug wires routed correctly!

are the wires propped up off the engine and set in there clips or are they just laying in there on top of everything...........

TimP

I only pop the hood when I run the truck over a few hours.....when I clean all day it gets poped cause it does get too hot.

Greenie

First your truck would have to get hot for this to be an issue, Bawb's luke warm Geniwater is no concern.

Hell yes you should prop your hood, that engine was design to be rolling down the road at 55mph, not sititng still, it's wonder you haven't melted half the plastic by now....lol

Mr.V

I ran a Cleanco for years

I only propped the hood when it was hot out,,,,but even then,,,,hardly ever

stock GM wires worked better than any other

I changed them twice in 5 years ( I know you should do it every year)

btw I never noticed hardly any difference at all going from a 195 thermostat to a 205

so I went back to a 195

but I had a Kero burner when I wanted some REAL heat

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
We talked to a number of "experts" over this issue with Butler CDS units and the general consensus was:

DO Not pop the hood, it actually disrupts the designed air flow. Place an airmover in front of the van & blow it on the grill.

This most closely duplicated the van running down the road and worked well for us.

FYI

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Tom Nailed it.......it don't do you no good to open the hood and pull air in away from the radiator...put a electric radiator fan in behind the grill for extra air flow......

and take a garden hose and flush out the fins of the radiator both directions about every 6 months....

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I will not run it with the hood closed.

Heat rises doesn't it?

The fan blade pushes the air up and out.

VS sitting there and having the fan force the air down and under the truck.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
I'm only repeating what was told to me directly by a few highly respected mechanics...and worked on both the Hydramaster CDS's and Butler CDS systems for years in the field afterward.
Feel free to do whatever makes the most sense to you, its your equipment and your repair bills as well.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Walrus said:
I will not run it with the hood closed.

Heat rises doesn't it?

The fan blade pushes the air up and out.

VS sitting there and having the fan force the air down and under the truck.

correct me if I am wrong old great one but I also think the principle behind it is to for the air over the engine also to help keep it a little cooler....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
it's always amusing to me how the direct drive folks tell us about the reliability compared to slide-ins

they never mention the van related issues as part of the TM.
which they should.
Water pumps, pulleys, heat related issues like computers, cracked crumbling wiring harnesses, plug wires etc all due to running a a direct drive TM

'guess they don't count those "little" things when they say TM break downs are rare

but they'll pop the hood in the Mrs Phiff's driveway and look like some hillrod LOOZER with broke down truck

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

..L.T.A.

Back
Top Bottom