If you hired a guy to strictly do sale & marketing

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
What would be on his to do list for the first week, month, quarter & year? How much of a return would you expect in order to keep him on staff & at what profit point would you be inclined to give him a bonus?

Let's hear it... :wink:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Re: If you hiring a guy to strictly do sale & marketing

Why the sexist question? Why not a person, instead of man, or say man or woman?

What type of sales postion is it; residential audits, commerical cleaning sales; watrter & or fire restoration sales or relationship building with ins agents/adjusters/plumbers/contractors etc; selling girl scout cookies?

Ken

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy

Commercial carpet & ceramic cleaning as well as stripping, refinishing & buffing VCT. And... umm... because he's a guy.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John

Jeremy said:
And... umm... because he's a guy.

:lol: umm by the sound of it, this post and questions are already too late to ask :shock:

John

PS, no I can't help you sorry, as I've never employed someone in that capacity, although I have considered it from time to time.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

How could you know it is a guy if I am the one hiring them?

Did you really mean you hired a guy and have no idea what to pay him or what to expect????????????????

Ken
Just goofin on you a little J. What will you pay him and what will you expect?

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy

I'm paying him minimum wage + 10% of the first service & 5% of the value of any service agreements he brings in. I also offered him $11 an hour to help out in a production capacity to supplement his income but he understands his main purpose is sales. At least for the time being.

I expect him to put out flyers & provide estimates & demonstrations to prospects & be reliable (both in the customers eyes & in mine), keep a neat, clean, professional appearance, spend an hour a week here (please be nice guys) & with in a month have at least one new customer locally & 2 or more new jobs in Louisville.

Anyway, I am trying to ensure I have a complete structured format for him to work within & I wanted basically to know "how all of you do it (or would do it)"... Anyway, any input you have is appreciated.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
He or she would work mandatory 1st month on the Tm...

Why so that they would understand what improper estimates are like to the technician to clean .Extra work or freebies due to a sale being closed with hesitation and fear versus true sales tactics.

Example-1978. Park Cleaner's-Owner ;Robert Takorian a man who built 3 trucks from nothing in under 4 years.Why do to the new steam machines that were in the Carpet Cleaning industries .Prime years,they were a relatively new concept an arpets were every where.Tile and hardwood had not achieved the market they have nowadays...

Bob,had three department store names using reversible sign marketing.Also 5 dry cleaners were using him as such also .We were 8 comapnies under one name actually.We were fully booked year in year out.The crews were extremly effiecent even by today's standard.The were very motivated,very very loyal also.

Up comes a friend who needed a job,he was Jack. A good looking smooth talking salesman.He was paid a high commision as well as base pay.More then the Head and junior technicians.Who performed the service work.As well as who had performed correct estimates.

Well Jack,sold this an that .Commercial jobs a few thousand square feet bigger then estimated.Heavily soiled ambush's.Rooms not cleared out when we arrived for residential.Etc...Night mare after nightmare...

Elite workers were demoralized with heavy heat an humidity due to summer's intensity. Pepole that never complained about workloads were fuming...

You get the picture right...Jack was booted out after 7 months,an then took all the names from the files .An went to someone else...
That never bothered us cause when he was gone.The train ran smoothly an the clients we did lose soon came back...

The company he went to folded after 9 months,hmmm I wonder why...

So if you have salesman,director of sales,what ever your choice of titles is...Remember why all should be a cleaner first...

Even the Marines train medics and other non combat personnel...That you are a rifleman before all else...

An dat's da bottomline cause Caes,sez so...

Caes-08...

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Actually the Marines don't have medics. Every Marine is a trained combatant, at the very least a rifleman. A killer, not a healer. However, we do have Navy Corpsman & thank God for that. While they aren't really Marines but they are some of the FEW Sailors that get any respect at all... And although they aren't MArtines, they are our brothers & their brothers keepers. Go ahead & mess with one of our Docs.... Especially one with his FMF pin... See what it gets you. The Aviators, Intel, Naval Guns, SeaBees & Seals being the only other Sailors we can stand... The rest are just our taxi drivers.

Anyway, back to the conversation at hand.... I do see your point about him knowing what the hell is going on... That shouldn't be much of a problem, he has helped on a few jobs in the past & has previose contracting experience as an electrician. So he understands a nightmare job & time & materials....

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
ANy other suggestions onn how to keep his plate full? What do/would you have your sales staff do? Specifics please.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Send an introductory letter, include his business card to those targets that he is new and would like to drop by an explain how you can help them maintain their facility.

Follow up call after a week, direct contact third week.

Build routes to conserve on trips and fuel.

High Priority targets we try to visit every other month
dropping note pads. Quarterly we will drop off goodie bags with an advertising premium too.

Medium Priority targets we would visit quarterly, may or may not get goodie bags depending on the target.

Low Priority targets visit every 6-months, magnet & note pads.

We also add any decision makers to our newsletter (Lee Pemberton's Restorator).

While he is out have him keep his eye open to add new prospects to your target list. Be consistent it takes time to break down some barriers.

Periodically clean the list of dead wood, or at least change the frequency.

Keep his chin up, you may have the right service, they may not be in need at the time. It's a cycle, keep plugging away and he will hit a few.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
It is always a bit frightening to me when Chavez pops off a clearly written and logical, business-like post. Sort of a Twilight Zone type of feeling. (For those old enough to remember the Twilight Zone.)

Anyway, back to Jeremy's question. First, Jeremy, my position has always been that the OWNER should be the guy (well, Ken, Jeremy IS a guy, I think) out on the sales firing lines and he should hire technicians to run the truck(s). (At least until you get to the size that your time is better spent MANAGING your many employees.)

NOTE: For a check list exactly HOW you can do this with a Dedicated Sales Morning approach just write me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com and put "How to Sell Commercial Work" in the subject line. No charge. (If you want the free 30 minute companion DVD include your mailing address.)

My reason for pushing the owner as sales person is that most "salespeople" hired by a small cleaning firm are an unmitigated disaster. Why? Because professional selling requires self-motivation and self-discipline along with supreme self-confidence and deep knowledge of sales techniques. 99.9% of the people who have these traits already ARE employed and making a fortune working! (Usually for a large corporation.) So you are left with the marginal ones that can't cut it elsewhere OR are totally ignorant of the above traits/skills.

HOWEVER, for whatever reason some small cleaners insist on trying the outside sales approach so let's build on what Richard very aptly posted. What would I want in my company?

1. Accountability- Above all else hold their feet to the fire. Most business owners hire someone and just turn them loose. Instead, at least for the first month you should insist on seeing their route sheets (what they have done/ calls they have made) every single day. Set reasonable requirements on how many new sales calls that they should make every week. Then follow up. All of us do better when we are held accountable.

2. Profitability- As Caesar brings out, anybody can sign up jobs by bidding them under the cost of doing them. So I would give them a) clear pricing guidelines and b) tie their compensation to the profitability of the job. If a job they priced loses money then no commission for them! This will keep them focused on profitability!

3. Goals and direction- Figure out ahead of time what you want them to accomplish and focus on. Then structure their compensation around these goals. (It is called "Goal Directed Behavior") Once you are SURE they will represent your company properly I would strongly recommend pushing regular contract commercial work. This is by far the most profitable thing (other than W/D restoration which requires a totally different selling approach) your salesperson can focus on. BUT remember you only get one shot at these plum jobs which means your employee better be on their game.

4. Support- both logistically and emotionally. Assign an office person to do the grunt work of pre-mailing out introduction letters and preparing proposals. Let your salesperson do what they do best- sell! And of course be there as a shoulder to cry on. Selling (and the rejection that comes along with it) is brutal work. (That is why most business owners don't have the fire in the belly to do it!)

Steve Toburen
Director of Training and proponent of business owners getting off their butts and dedicating ONE morning per week for face to face sales.
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS Sorry for the length of this, Jeremy. Let us know how it works out and what you have done to keep him on the straight and narrow. BTW, folks, don't remotely think I am busting Jeremy's chops for trying out hiring an outside salesperson. Jeremy has made HUGE strides over the last two years and much of it is due to his being wiling to try new ideas.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It is always a bit frightening to me when Chavez pops off a clearly written and logical, business-like post. Sort of a Twilight Zone type of feeling. (For those old enough to remember the Twilight Zone.)

When the Twight Zone would come on I would run and hide under the bed. I hated the sound of the time clock and glass breaking.

Life is serious enough, I'm just giving you a little comic relief! :D

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Thanks Richard & Steve! Anyone else have a few pearls of wisdom for me (& anyone else that may be reading)? Inquiring minds want to know :!:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'd have a difficult time adding anything to the good information you've gotten here thus far.

I'm with Steve that the last person you should hire is a salesperson.

If you truly feel that your energy and passion cannot compensate for the organized sales skills that you feel a salesperson (of either gender!) would do a better job, I'd add these thoughts to the above recommendations:

Watch your "guaranteed wage". Some "salespeople" would love a minimum wage job where they can drive around and do nothing all day and give you some good sounding excuses. Remember, even route sheets can be falsified. You should see results pretty darn soon, and be ready to replace them if you don't.

So don't hire a buddy or a relative.

Regarding commissions. I'm in agreement with a higher "one time" commission, and then a lower "residual" commission. However, to even earn the lower percentage, the salesperson should visit the job the next business day. That type of follow up is powerful, and it keeps everyone honest:

1. Technicians work harder knowing that their work is going to be seen the next day.

2. The salesperson tends to do less "overselling" of the job when he/she has to look the customer in the eye the next day.

My 2 cents......

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
Falsified route sheets???? :shock:

Never!

:lol:

Actually, a VERY GOOD POINT & I have a partial plan for that.... GPS in the sales vehichle & company cell phone which must be in his possession at all times during work hours. This gives me the ability to monitor at least where he is... if not what he's doing.

I like the follow up as well, Jim. It takes some of the onus off of me too.... But being the micromanaging little prick that I am ... I'll probably go with him or check it out afterwards anyway. If for nothing else than my own peace of mind & knowing that the relationship is with the company not "with the salesman".

Thanks for your valuable insight Jim.

Does anyone else want to chime in? What to do... WHAT NOT TO DO? Whatever blows your dress up... Don't be shy.

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
I have a Question why have the salesperson do the estimate or figure the price? When you buy a car the salesman doesn't get to set the price, is it because you don't want to overwhelm the contact with new faces? Someone already bought up staff to do the grunt work wouldn't this job fall to that person? Then you could go to straight commission w/residual and what do you care if they goof off some?

I would like it if they were at the jobsite to explain to the crew leader exactly what is needed and expected. He wouldn't have to stay for the whole job but just long enough to lay out the areas of concern.

Tony

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom