If you owned a rental what carpet would you install?

SDSinc

If you owned a rental house what type of carpet would you put in the bedrooms. We have tile in all the main rooms the carpet will just be in the three bedrooms.

Thanks.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Solution Dyed nylon with a pronounced pattern.
Cleans well.
Hard to stain.
Hides soil very well.
Unlike Olefin, will not melt if they drag a heavy furniture across the carpet like tenants love to do.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
35 - 40 ounce nylon, a middling to darker beige. Light enough to give the room dimension, dark enough to live through tenants.
OR
You can go the cheap route and stick down some cheap ass olefin berber, but be prepared to replace every 5 years or so.
Stay away from all polyester. Period.No matter how many rhinos shat on it.

B

Bill G. Martin

Paper Bag Brown, 100% Nylon builders grade....no use to go overboard, installed over 1/2" rebond pad.

Bill in Central Florida

Gary Taylor

What Bill says. The grade I buy is simply referred to as rental/apartment grade. 100% beige nylon. Cleans up well, and holds up well for what it is. I am going on three years in four of our units, four years in three others. Two properties have hardwood in one, laminate in the other. Whatever you put down, just figure at some point it will get damaged. I tell our tennants to call me when they want it cleaned, it will be no charge.

Frieze? you got to be kidding?

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
It depends on the rental.
The standard rental would get builder's grade nylon in apartment brown.
I clean really high end rentals that would stay vacant if builder's grade anything was used.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
You haven't seen a quality frieze have you? We put karastan in several apartments and with cleanings between tenants, we have seen these property managers get 10 years at least and sometimes 15 years. Granted they stretch it to fifteen usually, but the aren't falling apart. We put a piece of karastan frieze through out the local university contoled student apartments and it still looks great.

Gary Taylor

That's cool. I just thought that it would mat down.

But I think I will stick to the inexspensive nylon. Just in case they damage it with oh things like cigerete burns, furniture legs wearing a hole in it, or like someone's teenage daughter who saw her daddy pour bleach on an ant hill outside the house, so thought it would be o.k. to pour bleach on the carpet when she saw some ants in her bedroom.

Lefty724

Name
E
100% no doubt........Dark brown sculptured (or hi-low) nylon over 8lb pad!! You can hide all seams easy, cleans up great, and will last a long time with the 8lb pad under there! shiteatinggrin

Able 1

Name
Keith
Willy P said:
You can go the cheap route and stick down some cheap ass olefin berber, but be prepared to replace every 5 years or so.
Stay away from all polyester. Period.No matter how many rhinos shat on it.

Thats what I would do...

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i thought i would never say this but
we have 4 duplexs bought new
they have a sculptured olifin in them
10 yrs old and really holding up well
would really consider that again

Ryan

Doc Holliday said:
Stained concrete.

No brainer!

You can ever score it to make it look like tile if you want to get fancy. Run a SX-12 over it when they move out and its good for the next renter.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I would say going with a heavy duty pad might be a bood idea. I have noticed rentals need stretched alot more. Maybe due to increased moving in and out but could it also be partly caused by using bottom of the barrel padding?

Grant D

I clean a lot of rentals. Enough of them put burn holes in the carpet from all the pot they are smoking that it doesn't matter what kind of carpet. I have to say the ones with the olefin berber are outlasting the others in the buildings I service, but many years. PET is done after 2 years under a college kids desk, just no resiliency at all. I'd go olefin berber with a pattern that had brown or at least a dark color in it.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Get sufficient deposit to repair or replace, if necessary, whatever carpet you install.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom