If you were building a big truck what dimensions would it be

Bob Foster

I got a question to ask you about box sizes. With the AT and the V they only have a 5'2" or so headroom in them. Does that bother you not being able to stand up in them or is this better overall to keep the box height down for accessibly?

I am looking at putting a truck together using a W3500 and box with a roll up side door in about a 12 or 13 foot box.

If you were me would you make the box 6 foot inside and why or why not and do you thing for 12 or 13 foot length is enough.

Look at this truck and see the height of it - that's 6 feet inside and it's 12 feet long. It has a cleanco compact 47 in it.
http://www.greenwayclean.com/
http://www.esteam.com/truckmounts_compact47.php

Also on the W3500 the body builders tell me that 7'6" width covers the tires. I thought because this truck will do mostly residential work that I would make it less than the 8'6" maximum width I am allowed. The Aero Tech body is 8foot wide and I'm not sure about the V

The V -AT have a very wide side door probably to accommodate a wide reel but if I am going to a standard width reel would a 5 foot door be good?
Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Greenie

That's a pretty nice truck, very compact.

That 47 cleanco is bullet proof. I just wonder why they don't spin it faster, and at a higher lift.

notice the waste tank has TWO blower filters, other TM mfgs. could learn from that.

G

How big is your shop door to fit it in...that should mean something to you.

Also, funny someone brings up spinning the ol Cleanco faster. Someone called today and was pissy that it keeps on eating them. But then that one has a smaller pulley to generate more heat for the exhaust heat then the extra suck for that $40 pulley. Cleanco has been going through more clutches than I am of 1/2 gallons of Crown Royal.

He forgot something about that waste tank though. Give it another year and lets see what else will snap.

And a extra 20k Kanadian for a big truck? Makes me think about if you ever wanted to expand and run 2 wands ever.

Bob Foster

The shop I am looking to go in would fit either.

Roots 47 can spin faster. It's rated at much higher rpm than they set them at. Clutches I suspect are going because of heat more than anything.

How much will AT - V dicker on price?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I do not know where you all get that the Vortex is not a good machine for a single owner operator...............

That machine has made me more money then my CDS could handle trying to keep up............

Not only that but the extra room has allowed me to expand and handle more things like UPH.oriental rugs etc..........

I am no longer limited to the runs that I can handle I gave away almost $2500.00 in a 2 month time because I could not reach the places to be cleaned...........no longer a problem

I have not loss any "mobility" in any way........It will go everywhere I have put my Chevy van........There were a few places I was worried about but when I got there it went right where I wanted it........

I ca n honestly say that I have had good increases (except walk ups) in every area of cleaning.......

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I can not honestly give a answer to that because I have only used the Vortex...................

But I can say the Vortex is a great machine

G

After he got all the steel fitting out of it.... :wink:

Just remember anything can be spun fast. But can the rest of the parts take it?

Jr wants to take my newer High Heat Butler for a day or two and play with it and see if it fits his needs. Sad I know. He has problems with both machines he owns. And I almost bought the 56 Quad since I know that it works well for others.

Jim makes some good points. I am hung by being maxed out on what a van can do.

The things that hold me back is the shop doors are too short..and I'm not cutting up my shop to put 9 foot doors in. I wish I could be like the Cal and AZ guys and just let it sit outside year round.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Ref Jim's comments above.

I have never lost a job because I can't reach it with the truck I have. The only ones I couldn't reach are ones that there just is no available parking to get the truck close enough, ie legally parked without the hoses cutting across a driveway or the truck blocking a road etc and for those a portable does quite well. However, if my truck had been just a bit bigger, there would have been some jobs that I wouldn't have been able to do cause I wouldn't have fit! AZ has a totally different terrain than Victoria. We have some pretty steep and narrow driveways, narrow roads, limited parking in places. The benefit of being able to run 500ft of hose is lessened by the time it takes to actually set up 500ft of hose!
Sure the truck will grab lots of attention and it works well, but there are some finicky people that live here. You guys think you got complaints about noise where you are? I still have a hard time believing that people are cleaning THAT much better and faster just because there is a honkin blower. Thats really the only difference!

Put 2.5" hose on a Roots 56, one wand, 150' on average, and really what difference would there be? Except better fuel economy and handling cause its in a smaller vehicle. If you really want it to stand out, just put it in a bigger truck!

Sorry Bob . I know you like these machines but keep in mind servicing and parts. I do most of my own servicing cause where else would I go! Rob just takes it down to Ron if there's a problem and parts are right there.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
some will just never get it.....its not about attention............it is all about efficiency...........

and yes everyplace is different but when you have to pull almost 300 ft or loose a job.......make your own choices

Our terrain is different and in most cases it is worse.... desert landscape and sharp trees in almost every drive way
but I have yet to put a scratch on it always climbing some sort of mountain slope some where with no problems

Did a job not to long a that when the house was built the cement trucks had to back up the drive way or they kept loosing there load............ The v/ud went right up with no problems.................

The only way this truck will not work is if you allow it to intimated you
longer runs with no vacuum drops more heat if needed and you can carry anything and expand your company...what more could you want...........

Bob Foster

139e801a.jpg

Attachments

• 139e801a.jpg
    139e801a.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 153

Greenie

"lol.......I rest my case

court dismissed"

Gentlemen, I don't want to ruffle the feathers, but I'm also not going to be hoodwinked either, those photos above do not accurately represent the comparison.

In fact I'll go to the extent of saying they appear fixed.

Now, I am not saying the "fix" is intentional, but it's obvious.

In the first pic, the subject placed in the foreground will always appear bigger than the subject in the rear.

In the second pic, the vehicles are not positioned on the same plane, ie: the front bumpers are not even as pictured in the first pic, in fact there are several feet of difference.
Add to that the pic is taken at a slight angle, it is centered on the vehicle to the left.

You may not agree with many things I say daily, but I won't lie either, and i will attempt to prove my point to you, so you see where I'm coming from as I listen to your point of view.

G

Bob,

If you call me I will be happy to tell you all the reasons I like the Aero Tech. (708) 670-4043. Jim Martin is right, It is not overkill for a single truck operator.

Dave

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
The pictures are close enough to be accurate but not on the money

The 1200 UD is closer to comparison then the 1400

The 1400 is about a foot and a half longer...................

Mind you that is a extended van in the above picture
I had min (1200) next to a extended and it is pretty close........

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Jim, I would possibly agree with you that the AT or V is a great truck mount but I would like the opportunity to decide without seeming to have the thing rammed in front of me all the time as God's Gift to truck mounts. It gets a bit tedious at times. If I wanted a super truck mount I would phone up my client that had one in the 70's that would make the V/AT look like a kids toy.

I see the picks you posted, and it makes me think more about them. Even talking Greenies observations into account I can see that 1200 may work. I still don't see how "the equipment" is going to turn around a person's busn or make someone significantly more efficient. If it was about the equipment then there is something to be said for this SOA BS.

I was just thinking about the vac hose hookup if I had a V at one of my jobs and the first thing I would change is the hose connection to the truck. Unless its changed from Connections, I would mount the connectors vertically, they wouldn't stick out, less stress on the hose, and it would be easier to aim the hose in one direction or another. I would also rearrange the soln and recovery tanks. they are too inefficient in space usage.

AS for the initial question, I would prefer to have a box I could stand up in. Big enough for the equipment I need, small enough that I don't feel I'm driving a 5 ton around. NOT everyone is used to or comfortable with driving a big truck. NOT everyone is used to or comfortable or capable of driving!! :wink:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
"Jim, I would possibly agree with you that the AT or V is a great truck mount but I would like the opportunity to decide without seeming to have the thing rammed in front of me all the time as God's Gift to truck mounts."
I could not agree with you more.I hate that... I felt the same way so the only way I could figure it out for myself was to find one and go see........I ( as most know) live in Tucson AZ.I flew all the way to MN and cleaned with the machine for a day and then flew all the way back home that night so I could see for myself......

Listen/learn and then see for yourself before you make any type of decision on what you plan to do for your company....

Once again it is about the efficiently that the equipment can give you and how you as a operator handles it........There is equipment out there that is really good but you are limited to what you can do/or handle during the coarse of your day......So far I have no limits to what I can handle...

It is not just about the machine it is about what you can make the machine do for you and if it is the type of machine that can handle it.....So far mine is..

Hose connection/hose reels etc......not everything that comes off the line works for your structure..........you have to make the changes that work for you...........I post pictures of things I change to help others with ideas.......may not work for everyone but is is does great.......I am getting ready to make another change here pretty quick I know this won't work for all but I am making this change for my benefit and I will share in case someone else can use it.............

feel free to call me if you wish...........1-520-744-1850.........I could explain it better on the phone then behind the key board.................

Rex Tyus

Someone commented on Cleanco burning up clutches. If you know of anyone having this problem it is more than a probability you have an electrical problem, not a heat issue. The parking break relay has a resistor designed to prevent voltage feedback, when this is damaged or defective it can cause a VOLTAGE DROP that always results in a burnt clutch. How this is resolved I will leave up to you. Mine will NEVER CAUSE A VOLTAGE DROP AGAIN. If I can be of assistance in this let me know.

To your original question about Cleanco Compact units, I have the Quad 56 and I love it. It is about to get a 2.5" upgrade and a weee bit more heat. I will keep you posted.

If anyone tells you they don't see the benefit of glides it is pretty obvious they have NEVER USED a 2' wand with 2" hose off of a 2.5" hose or even 2, 2" hoses y'ed together

Rex T.

Bob Foster

According to my local disty who is a Cleanco dealer they have had a lot of problems with 56 with the drives.
They also refuse to put one in a big truck and will only put in a 47.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I’m surprised how tightly the UD can turn it has a turning radius of 23 feet
turning radius for a Chevy extended van is more than double at 49.2

the storage and carrying space is worth the cost to me the box height is great for tight spaces.

Rex Tyus

According to my local disty who is a Cleanco dealer they have had a lot of problems with 56 with the drives

As in Drive shafts? or something else.

I have spoken to various cleanco distributors, and they all love the 47. You can't go wrong.

I had ONE issue with the drive shaft on my 56 after 900 hrs. Cleanco not only made it good they DID NOT EVEN BLINK. They are truly a company made up of great people. 1500 hrs later(that is 2400 total) it is still jammin . If you are only gonna single wand get the 47. But don't be afraid of the 56 it rocks. kick in for the quad heat and p t i no matter which model, unless you are thinking of an afterburner like I am.

I am seriously considering moving my 56 into a cab over.

Rex

Rex

Bob Foster

I would like to hear the response you get from Cleanco regarding moving your 56 into a cab-over. As I mentioned in the above post, they refused to build one in a cab-over for me claiming the engineering has not been done to attempt it.

I have come to believe (pre-MF) that very few if any CDS systems mounted in cab and chassis box vans are in the same league as the V or AT for overall efficiency or performance. I am curious what Butler is going to do with their "big truck". Will it really be a big truck.

Ian said to me the other day the difference to a big truck to a CDS is as equally dramatic in performance and efficiency as going from a portable to a truckmount.

MF here I come.

Rex Tyus

Cleanco has been offering the quad 56 in the Isuzu for about 2 years. It must just be a distributor specific inadequacy. The biggest real difference between the compact 47 and the 56 is the blowers. The engineering is the same. Check out their website, it even states the availability of the cab over for the 56.

I have never compared the 56 to a vortex or A T. But the compact 56 is in a different class than the C D S.

I am not trying to talk you into the 56 in anyway. I am just saying don't be afraid of it. However if you distributor's heart is not in the Q 56 I would go in a different direction. Whether that be a different unit or a different distributor. Nothing is worse than having a unit no one around you can or will work on.

Rex Tyus

P S I have often found if a distributor is unfamiliar with something or they don't have it in stock, they have a tendency to make stuff up. Ask him if he has a 47 IN STOCK just out of curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom