If you were starting your biz and know what you know now....

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
what are several things you'd do differently to ensure a smooth start. I'm curious as to what others think was most important when starting out.

For me I would'vre been more organized. I've been using the shotgun approach to marketing, cleaning, etc...for about 8 years now.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Re: If you were starting your biz and know what you know now

Now days the internet is king. It levels the playing field for next to nothing.

Sure beats the old days of large Yellow Page ads and my 10 person telemarketing crew.

It was a very expencive way to gain new business. But, that was the way it was done.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

I would have become an underwear model and then put all my money in Microsoft stock in 1987. I just wish I could go back in time.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

I would have let go way earlier and realized that I didn't have to be the only one cleaning for "my" customers.

I would have Done everything I'm doing now....then.

Becker

Name
Becker

1. Good web presents
2. A good referal rewards program
3. Better record keeping of active clients, staying in contact via facebook, email, new letters, post cards
4. Treat it like a business, like a job, like you could get fired for not performing.
5. M-F during normal business hours, if I did not have work booked, then I'd work the business.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox

The problem I have is keeping up with technology. I finally ditched the Old Blackberry for a new Droid phone so I can take credit card payments. I realized last year that checks were becoming obsolete. I still stick with my small YP ad only because of the economic condition.

Able 1

Name
Keith

If there was something I would change it would be the three year years I did 3 half page ads with Yellowbook. I would also have started with my prices higher(2 rooms and hall for 55.00 :shock:) .

I started with a Prochem Peak (wouldn't change that),great unit!

I also would have hired a helper sooner (maybe year 3).

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

Art Kelley said:
I would have become an underwear model and then put all my money in Microsoft stock in 1987. I just wish I could go back in time.

an' YOU wanna be an underwear model........?
art.jpg

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Art Kelley said:
You would have done better with Google.
Same mistake, two decades later :p

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

bob vawter said:
[quote="Art Kelley":22525d8t]I would have become an underwear model and then put all my money in Microsoft stock in 1987. I just wish I could go back in time.

an' YOU wanna be an underwear model........?
art.jpg
[/quote:22525d8t]

He could model the "Manzeer"

:lol:

Askal

RIP
Name
Al

I would have liked to have a computer and have the internet available. We did have land line phones though.
Al

Jamesh921

Name
James

I believe he's asking what you would do differntly NOW, ..... NOT then.

With all the tools available in TODAY'S business world, how would you restart your business NOW? I believe THAT is the question he is asking.

Did I just say that twice? Aw well, I usually experience dejavu at least twice a day - or does that make it 4 times? I don't know, but I need to make more money tomorrow, AND make some more money tomorrow.

And that's all I have to say about that - Forest Gump.

Jimbo

I would pay a lady to answer my phone and do the scheduling...I made that change in the last year and it has meant a huge beneficial difference in my biz...

Plus I added a new book of clients in a nearby town...with almost no reluctance in switching over to my biz...since a very nice lady is doing the answering!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

Jimbo said:
I would pay a lady to answer my phone and do the scheduling...I made that change in the last year and it has meant a huge beneficial difference in my biz...

Plus I added a new book of clients in a nearby town...with almost no reluctance in switching over to my biz...since a very nice lady is doing the answering!

PLUS his partime Krispy Cream distributor job........

jimeckman.jpg

sorry Jim..i MEANT to talk to you more.......
don be mad at me fo the picture...... :lol: :lol:

DannyD

I would have started with a top flite website from the get go instead of waiting 5 years. I would have had Full Circle- or at least an answering service, FC wasn't around back then, answer my phones instead of missing calls. I would have stayed out of the yellow pages. I would have never bought any Hruby products. For that matter, there's other equipment I wouldn't have bought either. He!!, a non carpet cleaning friend, who's got an extremely successful business, just reamed me for looking into more equipment. He had it right in that ya need to spend your $$ on marketing. Get what ya need so ya can work, & then get more efficient equipment as you can afford it & actually need it. No sense having a $20,000 TM if you're doing a job a day. Migth as well use a porty for that.

I would have tried to find a local cleaner-like an hour away, not one in my city- who'd let me work w/ him for a week or so. I agree w/ you on being organized. I used to write appointments on the back of envelopes & such. Then be looking for it when I wanted to put that info on an invoice.

Mike Draper

Becker said:
1. Good web presents
2. A good referal rewards program
3. Better record keeping of active clients, staying in contact via facebook, email, new letters, post cards
4. Treat it like a business, like a job, like you could get fired for not performing.
5. M-F during normal business hours, if I did not have work booked, then I'd work the business.

same here.

DannyD

Can you elaborate on that? I'm w/ ya on not keeping up w/ technology. I just learned how to burn a DVD not to long ago. So how does a phone take credit cards? What's the cost of the phone, the phone service, & to the credit card company? I'm not sure what else to ask so any other info ya could add would be appreciated.

Thanx

Doug Cox said:
The problem I have is keeping up with technology. I finally ditched the Old Blackberry for a new Droid phone so I can take credit card payments. I realized last year that checks were becoming obsolete. I still stick with my small YP ad only because of the economic condition.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

i would find some poor smuck that didn't know any better ta BUY IT! :lol:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison

DannyD said:
Can you elaborate on that? I'm w/ ya on not keeping up w/ technology. I just learned how to burn a DVD not to long ago. So how does a phone take credit cards? What's the cost of the phone, the phone service, & to the credit card company? I'm not sure what else to ask so any other info ya could add would be appreciated.

Thanx

Doug Cox said:

I just ordered mine. The service is free...the square is free...you just pay fo each card transaction like normal.

www.Squareup.com

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

I would of never leased my first truck mount......biggest mistake I made.......

Chris A

Name
Chris

Jim Martin said:
I would of never leased my first truck mount......biggest mistake I made.......

X2 can't wait til its over...

Able 1

Name
Keith

Shame on the suppliers that even offer leases on equipment! :evil: I took over a least from 2006 at $700 for 13 months... The least terms were $700.00 per month for 60 months. :shock: If I would have went with a lease I'm not so sure I would have made it... You would end up paying 42,000 for a $25,000 truck mount. :shock:

Chris A

Name
Chris

Able 1 said:
Shame on the suppliers that even offer leases on equipment! :evil: I took over a least from 2006 at $700 for 13 months... The least terms were $700.00 per month for 60 months. :shock: If I would have went with a lease I'm not so sure I would have made it... You would end up paying 42,000 for a $25,000 truck mount. :shock:
No shit, then add in a shiny new van and imagine the lease payments then. My credit wasn't stellar at the time I bought my van but ill be happy to have other options next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom