IICRC- the new watchdog of the industry?

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Daily I hear people complain about regulation on Bait & switchers and even insisted that the IICRC regulate how certified firms advertise. They even insist on seeing copies of insurance certificates, and workers compensation - all for the protection of the customer! But NEVER once have I heard anyone mentuion mandatory background checks for employees of IICRC certified firms. If the IICRC has chosen to make itself the morale highground for marketting to customers then shouldn't it also provide some sort of safety for its customers that it refers?

Years ago I realized the importance of this and instituted mandatory background checks for everyone asociated with my company. We background check everyone and I have seen everything from child molestors, murderers, statuatory rapists, burglarers, etc come from other companies and try to work for me. These people are actually surprised that I perform the checks! Many of the people are coming from IICRC certified firms!

Who here background checks every single applicant and stays on top of it annually? Who here thinks the IICRC should also insist that these checks are performed? This would certainly level the playing field and keep the name of our industry safe!

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
The company I work for does background checks. We go into a lot of buildings where its required. They keep up on it annually if not every 6 months, and also do random drug testing. I honestly appreciate the fact they do all of these things. It makes for a safer work environment, and I know the guy driving the van isn't a dope head, and decides to kill us both because he wanted to get high that morning.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Criminal & credit checks and we are a Drug Free Workplace following the governmental regs required for that. Also we are on the State of Michigam driving record check program and get an email notificayion for any moving or standing violation any employee who drives a vehivle gets. 3 minor tickets in 2 years causes loss of driving priviledge, any alcohol related is much more serious.

Ken
Ps Screw the IIRC, these are just sound practices for anyone who has employees running their equipment, driving their vehicles and going into cutomers home/businesses. Having these things in place and documented in a handbook can also save lots of money on insurance premiums~ the insurance ompanies love this stuff.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Ken,

Why would you guys do a credit check ? I've often wondered why some employers do that.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Steve,

Because a "Character Check" is illegal..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The way someone treats their finance's....says a lot about their self-discipline.... :wink:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Yes and if they are in really bad financial shape all those temptations in customers homes or the 10's of thousands of rugs in our showrooms and rug spa could be appealing.

Mikey P

Administrator
Mr Snow,

you'll never have the pleasure of being invited to pay for your own Industry Leaders dinner with that naughty mouth.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Follow your own best practices and let the guys willing to hire with no thought pay for their own mistakes. Personally, I'm against naming a group the "Industry Watchdog" and giving them any power to tell us how to run our businesses, even for what seems on the surface to be a good idea. People in the watchdog business often get isolated from reality and turn into Nazis, or maybe worse, find a way to force you to pay for their lifestyle under the guise of "protection."

I can see the reason an employer wants a credit check, the guys that can't handle their finances are the ones always looking for a draw or to make a little side money. Unfortunately, before the practice was outlawed in Washington State, I had several really good prospects tell me what I could do with myself when they were asked for permission to do a credit check. They'd just become fed up with another "required" intrusion into their personal privacy.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I've never done credit check, background checks yes as far as the shop surveillance cameras cover entrances, office and rug racks

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
The Great Oz said:
Follow your own best practices and let the guys willing to hire with no thought pay for their own mistakes. Personally, I'm against naming a group the "Industry Watchdog" and giving them any power to tell us how to run our businesses, even for what seems on the surface to be a good idea. People in the watchdog business often get isolated from reality and turn into Nazis, or maybe worse, find a way to force you to pay for their lifestyle under the guise of "protection."

I agree with your statement in theory.. However, the IICRC has already done this. If you don't concede to their demand on how you advertise, can't use contractors, provide them copies of insurance, etc they have arranged it with the carpet manufacturers so that you are voiding the warranty on any carpet you clean if you are not a certified firm! If we are going to allow them to have this power than we certianly should have them go ahead and keep an eye on criminal backgrounds! Just my thoughts.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Stevie Bs said:
Hey Greg, certified firms also cannot hire/use sub contractors.
Are you a certified firm?

After well over a decade of Pro Carpet being a member - I was forced cancel its membership a few years back due to the fact that they wanted to tell me who I could hire, how they should be paid (contractor or employee), and how I should run my business. It became invasive and unrealistic. Obviously it had become a tool for those with an agenda to use at their whim. Back then it was a membership type organization, a membership was optional, and nothing could be done legally. Fortunately - now that they have strong-armed the carpet mills-companies into blacklisting all those that don’t concede: damages can be shown and the IICRC will have to re-address this issue at some point in the near future. Hopefully they don't blow through their assetts on legal fees before they choose to do so.

Until a few years ago- I had always been a champion for the IICRC (previously the IICUC) and it has improved dramatically over the last decade. Unfortunately- with power comes abuse and it is my sincere hope that it realizes its mistake and fixes it soon.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
IICRC= you take a class.....take a test....pass...they give you a "Passed the test" button.

Then they operate like the BBB, take your money every year , for THEIR retirement and convention fund to party on your dime.

:shock:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
...they have arranged it with the carpet manufacturers so that you are voiding the warranty on any carpet you clean if you are not a certified firm!

Shaw and the IICRC gave this a shot, but it violated a few laws as pointed out by more than one State Attorney General. They can't void the warranty if a customer chooses to use a non-certified firm.

This is a great example of an idea that seems like a good one: Require cleaners to have some level of competence to be in the cleaning business. Unfortunately, while the CF program requires having someone take a class and prove they have insurance, it's a marketing program (not a competency program) and shouldn't be what anyone is looking up to as a standard for the industry.

Greenie

credit checks crack me up....if you credit check 50% of the population today, you wouldn't be hiring anyone, it really is a paper tiger of a litmus test, and personally I wouldn't even waste my time.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
beyond the illegality of their warranty requirement most consumers don't really understand their warrant how many times have you had a custy ask if your cleaning formulation is CRI or wool mark approved for their rugs/carpet...me never!

As an educational association & cleaning standards to cleaners it makes sense when it spills over to the area of consumers & professionalism there's simply nothing compelling for cleaners because there's very little branding to consumers

randy

Name
Randy
gregcole said:
Stevie Bs said:
Hey Greg, certified firms also cannot hire/use sub contractors.
Are you a certified firm?

After well over a decade of Pro Carpet being a member - I was forced cancel its membership a few years back due to the fact that they wanted to tell me who I could hire, how they should be paid (contractor or employee), and how I should run my business. It became invasive and unrealistic. Obviously it had become a tool for those with an agenda to use at their whim. Back then it was a membership type organization, a membership was optional, and nothing could be done legally. Fortunately - now that they have strong-armed the carpet mills-companies into blacklisting all those that don’t concede: damages can be shown and the IICRC will have to re-address this issue at some point in the near future. Hopefully they don't blow through their assetts on legal fees before they choose to do so.

Until a few years ago- I had always been a champion for the IICRC (previously the IICUC) and it has improved dramatically over the last decade. Unfortunately- with power comes abuse and it is my sincere hope that it realizes its mistake and fixes it soon.

How do you spell racketeering ? R A C k e T E E R I N G . Remember the ROLIAIDS commercial ? Well that's what every thinking cleaner needed when this industry scam was announced at Connections 05. The IICRC should have dropped their support & promotion of the effort when they saw cleaners reaction. They are supposed to be for the cleaner, right ?
Two many power hungry assholes were allowed to get control of the IICRC. It is run to benefit them not cleaners.
The associations are part of the problem too. What did any of them do to stop this cleaner rip off scam ?
The clowns running them are more interested in strutting around in their tuxes at the Connections dinner acting like they are big stuff and talking about how much influence they have in this industry (what a joke). I never will forget those assholes at a carpet cleaning convention buffet wearing tuxes. Unbelievable.

The ban on using contractors probably violates Federal Laws regulating Interstate Commerce & Right to work Laws in a few pro-business States.

I do believe the IICRC, CRI, coorporating Mills and several individuals involved in that whole sham could be successfully sued under the civil remedies available under the Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organization ACT (RICO) and parts of the Omni Bus Crime Act.

Several business, unions, associations and even police departments have been prosecuted criminally and sued for doing less than the above reference scumbags. Entire carting companies were broken up over much less. What a few "industry lenders" want is a stream of income from ALL cleaners and illegal control over an industry.

For that reason I stopped all IICRC certifications, paying for techs to attend their classes (there are betters ways to train, like hands on & in house) and have lost all respect for the organization. Ed York (founder of IICUC) ended up suing them successfully and harshly criticized them for what they had become. It disgusted him. Once he told me he wished he had never started it and saw long ago how pompous ass "industry leaders" were aiming to use it to rip off cleaners.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Ken Snow said:
Yes and if they are in really bad financial shape all those temptations in customers homes or the 10's of thousands of rugs in our showrooms and rug spa could be appealing.

Damn and I was just working up the courage to ask for a job! bastards...

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
credit checks crack me up....if you credit check 50% of the population today, you wouldn't be hiring anyone, it really is a paper tiger of a litmus test, and personally I wouldn't even waste my time.

DON"T BELIEVE THE HYPE GREENIE.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Any one, and many do, have an incedent of credit problem. This is not the purpose of a credit check. A chronic credit abuser however is a concern and this will be able to be gleaned from a credit report.

Bjorn

I can see this with a twist

the person looking for a job should also check out the finical stability of the company they are looking to for employment

credit check ever missed a payroll or bounced payroll checks does any one in the manament of said company have crimnal record back taxes ect ect

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I would think that would be prudent especially in this economy, though if someone needs a job bad enough they may not care.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom