In line filter

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Any good inline filters for 2.5" that you are happy with? I have the 2" stainless (clear housing in line) for 1 truck but looking for another.
Thanks Al

John Olson

Name
John Olson
We have the 2.5" pool filter or if you have a bigger machine you can use the dri-eaz filter box

jpcarpet01

Askal said:
Any good inline filters for 2.5" that you are happy with? I have the 2" stainless (clear housing in line) for 1 truck but looking for another.
Thanks Al
I use 2- 2" clear filters on my Y just before my 2.5" hose. The 2 inch filters are large diameter inlets so they have a true 2" tube. That makes it so I have less resistance to the hose. Have you ever wondered why you use 2"hose and the inside of the filter is 1.5"? Just food for thought

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
Thanks Joe for posting that link, it gave me an :idea: ,not about filters.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I assume the one's Olsen has are the same as the one's Bristor sells? If so, then those are really good filters. Also, Duane Oxley at Accelerated Cleaning has a really great one, that will go all day, or even more, without having to be emptied. The only problem is, the darn thing is like $500. It's all stainless.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Thanks for the great ideas. Duanne is sending some pictures. I think the clear one I have is not made for the long haul. It lasted a couple of months. We use the same trucks for WDR construction also so they get some rough use.
Al

Scott Rogers

I have one of Duanes. thing kicks ass. HUGE basket, holds tons before you even think about vacuum loss.

When I had my pool filter, combined with a roto vac, had to clean the pool filter every room or two.

Only problem with Duanes filter is if you dont clean it daily the basket will hold 30#'s of crap.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Hey Ron post of picture of that filter box you made if you get a chance. I was thinking about making a round one similar to the one I use for woodworking. It creates a cyclone effect automatically separating out the debris.

Gene

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
hogjowl said:
Also, Duane Oxley at Accelerated Cleaning has a really great one, that will go all day, or even more, without having to be emptied. The only problem is, the darn thing is like $500. It's all stainless.

Actually, the container is aluminum, Mardy, 3/16" to be precise. The filter itself is 304 stainless steel, perforated, with 1/8" holes.

The tank of the filter is going to be anodized soon...

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Scott Rogers said:
I have one of Duanes. thing kicks ass. HUGE basket, holds tons before you even think about vacuum loss.

Only problem with Duanes filter is if you dont clean it daily the basket will hold 30#'s of crap.

It holds approximately 2.5 gal. of trash when full. And it doesn't add noticeable airflow resistance (based upon the reading on the system vacuum gauge), even at 75% full.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
We do them in various port- sizes. Common ones are:

3" to the machine and 2.5" out
3" to the machine and (2) 2" out

2.5" to the machine and 2.5" out
2.5" to the machine and (2) 2" out

2" to the machine and 2" out

DSCN1330.jpg

DSCN1327.jpg

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Duane: The picture above shows the inlet? So, is the outlet on the bottom of the vessel opposite side? Looks good.
Al

hogjowl

Idiot™
Duane:

The one I currently have has one 2.5 port to the machine and one 2.5 port out. I would like to trade it in for a different one.

I currently have one of Greenies manifolds on my V. It has the three 2 inch lines coming off the waste tank going into the back of the manifold and then the front of the manifold has 2 2.5 inch ports for the hoses. I'd like to be able to mount your of your filter tanks at the side door of the V and have two 2.5 inch ports coming off it. I assume the best way to connect to the machine is to do away with Jeff's manifold and have the three 2 inch lines going into the box, but what do you think?

Should I keep the manifold and have two 2.5 inch ports in the back instead?

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
hogjowl said:
Duane:

The one I currently have has one 2.5 port to the machine and one 2.5 port out. I would like to trade it in for a different one.

I currently have one of Greenies manifolds on my V. It has the three 2 inch lines coming off the waste tank going into the back of the manifold and then the front of the manifold has 2 2.5 inch ports for the hoses. I'd like to be able to mount your of your filter tanks at the side door of the V and have two 2.5 inch ports coming off it. I assume the best way to connect to the machine is to do away with Jeff's manifold and have the three 2 inch lines going into the box, but what do you think?

Should I keep the manifold and have two 2.5 inch ports in the back instead?

Holy crap, Porky. I need to re-read that a few times to be sure I understand.

Well, after doing some calculations, the answer is: "Mebbie, if you don't mind a little inefficiency."

Here's why: Area of a circle = Pie x R x R (3.14 x Radius x Radius)

2" Circle: 3.14 x 1 x 1 = 3.14 sq. in.

(3) 2" ports, then, gives 9.42 sq. in.

2.5" Circle: 3.14 x 1.25 x 1.25 = 4.9 sq. in.

(2) 2.5" ports, then, gives 9.8 sq. in.

So, the connections to the filter would be smaller than the ones from the filter. (In other words, a little bit of resistance, as a result.)

Granted, it's not much, but still, from a purist's standpoint, it is what it is.

I can make you a box like that. But it would be better to look directly at the port size of the blower and make one based upon that, then port off of the box to the wand(s) accordingly... unless, maybe the blower is not running at full rated RPM, in which case, a smaller- than- blower- port- size may be appropriate...

hogjowl

Idiot™
Look Einstein ... can you make me a filter box that I can run two 2.5 inch lines off of it, or not?

Oh, and by the way ... I have 3 2 inch lines coming out of my waste tank.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
hogjowl said:
Look Einstein ... can you make me a filter box that I can run two 2.5 inch lines off of it, or not?

Oh, and by the way ... I have 3 2 inch lines coming out of my waste tank.

I got that, as evidenced here: (3) 2" ports, then, gives 9.42 sq. in.

Yes, I can do it, Porky...

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
MIne is not as fancy, but it filters out the fine stuff left after vacuuming. It will plug up so it does need to be cleaned during some jobs, but that stuff isn't getting into the tank.
Can always make the container bigger and the filter bigger, ie give it more surface area. A few mods and this thing would rock. It works sufficient for me so I just haven't spent any more money on it.
Been in use for 4yrs now.

Tank is 18" high, 9" Inside diameter, 3/16 aluminum.
Filter is 11" long, 5" diameter, stainless 1/4millimeter mesh. This is the mesh the regional gov't "requires us to filter our recovered water through before we can drain it into the sewage system. That's why its so fine.
Fittings are 3" ABS, except its 3" white PVC on the inlet.
Water comes in the fitting with PVC, drawn through the outside of the filter. This makes it much easier to clean.
I connect to the truck with a 4ft section of 3" hose with an ABS 45 fitting to match the OUT 45 fitting.

Cost me about $300 to make this. COuld probably make it for a little less if I rebuilt it since I have worked out some bugs. I would also design a new one to be more cyclonic as was the original intent.

When I orginally designed this, I wanted about 2-3" of water on the bottom to capture the sand and heavier particles, much like a Rainbow vacuum. It did work like that when I had it rigged with 2" ports. When I rigged it with 3", it sucked it dry.
10-01-21InLineFilter1-1.jpg

10-01-21InLineFilter-1.jpg

10-01-21InLineFilter3.jpg

10-01-21InLineFilter2-1.jpg

The Out fitting (hooks to the truck)
10-01-21InLineFilter5.jpg

The 2.5" adaptor
10-01-21InLineFilter4.jpg

Greenie

This is not a comment to take away from Duane's Filter Sales, as I think it's a good filter, and I comemnd him for having all sides of the basket perforated, unlike others.

But...I have a pet peeve for details. And you would not judge a filter's efficiency by the HG reading under negative vacuum, you would judge by CFM or air flow, as even having a narrow area that was Really restrictive left over would still show a very high vacuum rating.

Duane Oxley said:
It holds approximately 2.5 gal. of trash when full. And it doesn't add noticeable airflow resistance (based upon the reading on the system vacuum gauge), even at 75% full.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Greenie said:
And you would not judge a filter's efficiency by the HG reading under negative vacuum, you would judge by CFM or air flow, as even having a narrow area that was Really restrictive left over would still show a very high vacuum rating.

Wrong. It's a great "first filter". If you have two to compare and one shows more resistance as indicated by more lift required to move the same airflow through as without it, or, one shows more than the other, it undeniable that the one that reads higher adds more restriction.

However, if they both read the same, then take it to the next step to find out if one, under the same conditions as the other, allows more measurable CFM.

Greenie

I may be a lot of things, but i'm not wrong.

If you have a vacuum releif valve located on the machine waste tank or between blower and tank, how could you be assured you were moving the "same" CFM through the Inline filters? As they loaded up with debris and introduced load on teh vacuum system, the blower would simply pull the differential airflow from the relief valve that is wasn't getting through the inline filter.

You really would have to relocate the vacuum releif valve to the Other side of the inline filter box to judge resistance.

And in reality, this is very easy, and i would have expected you to already have done it to be sure your claims were accurate.

And yes, get those raw aluminum boxes Anodized as soon as possible.
And incorporate a sloped bottom and drain into them, even if it's just a rubber cap and hose clamp, or mount the box on an axle so it could be pivoted and rinsed out.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Vac relief would not (or should not) come into play until over 12" hg or so.

All other things held equal lift and cfm can be demonstrated to have an inverse relationship.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Greenie said:
I may be a lot of things, but i'm not wrong.

Actually, in this case, you are...

The first "test" is to hook it up when empty. The vac gauge will tell you in a glance what's happening, if there's an increase.

If you want to go further, and check CFM, go for it. But it's premature if one reads an increase and the other doesn't. No need to go further, since being "fuller" will only increase drag and therefore read a further increase in lift.

The "empty test" reveals volumes...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom