Incompetent Stair Installation

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I was sent to this Million dollar home 'because they have a tuft coming loose on the stairs'.

The installer put a join right smack in the middle of the single stair going from the kitchen to the sunken family room. HEAPS of traffic. Ovbiously didn't seam seal but overall, he mustn't have been too bright.

I asked if there was any surplus carpet and they showed me small ROLLS of offcuts. I removed the piece and installed again without a join anywhere near the walking line. This step was 12 feet long and spanned across two traffic lanes and the two joins were both centre of each traffic lane :evil:

I wasn't allowed my camera in this client's home. But here is the piece I removed.

Picture017.jpg

Picture018-1.jpg

John

John Watson

Re: Incompetent Installers

John, I believe most so called installers are related or carry the dumb shit gene. When I took my repair and reinstall classes from Barry Costa and Jim Carfield, both said a good repair person could find some sort of fault to be repaired on 98% of the houses they entered...

Do you ask if you can take photo's on every job or just the ritzy ones???

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John

My Camera bag is part of my kit I take into any repair job. They saw it and requested I didn't.

John

PS MArty, where'd the simple IDGAS answer disappear to? I liked that better.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney

John Watson said:
John, I believe most so called installers are related or carry the dumb poo gene. When I took my repair and reinstall classes from Barry Costa and Jim Carfield, both said a good repair person could find some sort of fault to be repaired on 98% of the houses they entered...

Do you ask if you can take photo's on every job or just the ritzy ones???

Ths is why we can't find any descent installers in our area. You wouldn't beleive how many installers will say that installing a woven is the same as installing a cheap peace at the box store. Its sad that the support for better training is not as prevalent on the installation side as it is on the cleaning side. I grew up in the biz learning from all the old school installers and have had the opportunity for class ans skills training and certification. The only thing I missed out on was the seam sewing and 2 of our 3 current installers are still very proficient with a some irish linen and the right set of needles.

And I have found repairs on 98% of the houses where other stores in our area did the install. Is it the stors fault? I can't blame them when Watson pointed out the gene pool to choose from.

harryhides

Name
Tony

John Middleton said:
PS MArty, where'd the simple IDGAS answer disappear to? I liked that better.

John, Marty used to run a flooring store and so was presumably one of those famously inept, southern installers. Now that he has just bought a Vortex, he has taken up janitorial work, need I say any more.

That horrible remark you made about me earlier has been duly noted.

:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom