Insurance games ?

Luky

Name
Mario
I got a call last Saturday from a prospect asking for a quote for upholstery cleaning( a bunch of it). I gave him the price( $1200), and the caller said:
" This is the regular price; charge me more; you work hard; you deserve to make decent money." When I replied that I stood by my estimate, the customer explained that he wanted me to send him an estimate via email, and he'll submit it to the insurance company, and we both would be happy. ( his exact words)
The whole conversation felt wrong, so I didn't jack up my price or send an estimate. I'm not the first carpet cleaner experiencing a similar situation.
In your opinion, what was the caller trying to accomplish, and what would you do?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

FredC

Village Idiot
for reference

the possibility remains that it is some dipshit looking to stick it to the insurance company for whatever reason....but it is extremely slim

What would I do? Figure out a way to scam them...at least out of a few bucks

or

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d_W3mdCTvs

(not really but scams always remind me of this story....fu Steve Hartman)

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Sounds like insurance fraud to me. He filed a claim (smoke damage obviously), the adjuster told him to get his furniture cleaned, and he called you to clean it. If you wrote the estimate for $1k more than your original price, he would come back with a counter offer, saying the insurance company would only approve it for (example) $500 or so less than your invoice and is expecting you to approve it, since it's already over your original $1200 price.

Stay away from these kind of customers

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Sounds like insurance fraud to me. He filed a claim (smoke damage obviously), the adjuster told him to get his furniture cleaned, and he called you to clean it. If you wrote the estimate for $1k more than your original price, he would come back with a counter offer, saying the insurance company would only approve it for (example) $500 or so less than your invoice and is expecting you to approve it, since it's already over your original $1200 price.

Stay away from these kind of customers

Even if you get what you asked, and everything goes ok, just being in any sort of relationship with someone who has a debased value system is risky.

If an amoral person will victimize at will, what is to keep you from being the next target?

Luky

Name
Mario
Sounds like insurance fraud to me. He filed a claim (smoke damage obviously), the adjuster told him to get his furniture cleaned, and he called you to clean it. If you wrote the estimate for $1k more than your original price, he would come back with a counter offer, saying the insurance company would only approve it for (example) $500 or so less than your invoice and is expecting you to support it, since it's already over your original $1200 price.

Stay away from this kind of customers
I didn't want to speculate before getting some feedback. I thought that curry man was collecting estimates and would get paid from the insurance company amount estimated by the highest bidder and then hire someone to do it for a low price or skip the cleaning and pocket the money?

Luky

Name
Mario
One of my Pastors at the church I attended actually did try to get me to do just that on a large flood. I told him, I thought we worked for the same boss. I told him I had other sheep in my fold and didn’t want to lose them. He moonwalked.
I applaud your decision; all it takes is to slip once.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I didn't want to speculate before getting some feedback. I thought that curry man was collecting estimates and would get paid from the insurance company amount estimated by the highest bidder and then hire someone to do it for a low price or skip the cleaning and pocket the money?
That's what I presume he would do, get 3 estimates to take to insurance then asked to be paid out on the average.
I've done the same on a boat claim (not the ask for inflated estimates part) The average quote on repairs was 3.5k for what I saw as $800 in materials and an afternoons work. I asked for settlement and did the work myself, took me 2 afternoons in the end.

Luky

Name
Mario
That's what I presume he would do, get 3 estimates to take to insurance then asked to be paid out on the average.
I've done the same on a boat claim (not the ask for inflated estimates part) The average quote on repairs was 3.5k for what I saw as $800 in materials and an afternoons work. I asked for settlement and did the work myself, which took me two afternoons.
Smart move on your part, especially if you're mechanically inclined; you have learned something new, and on top of that, you've saved. Imagine an Indian IT guy renting a portable and working for a day cleaning his furniture. It's not going to happen🤣

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
"stealing from big faceless corporations is OK"

Homer is most of the world

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bigEkTi5KUc

..L.T.A.

The dreck that passes for entertainment and information on television is something I do not miss.

TV free since 1/23, and missing none of it.

I get more entertainment here....which of course is damning with faint praise...but that's just how useless television is.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Here's an insurance game to be wise of:

Always verify that the Vin number on your insurance matches your vehicle.

My DMV registration renewal would often be declined for lack of proof of insurance, even though I sent in my insurance docs. In California insurance companies are required to give this info automatically to DMV without any input from the insured.
I'd call my agent and he would handle it. My documents had the incorrect Vin-- which Could have allowed the insurance company to deny coverage if something happened. Thank God I never needed to file a claim.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom