Intake Manifold 2000 3500Chevy Express Van AGAIN!!!

F

FB7777

Replaced the intake gasket on this van in 2005 with 60,000 miles and now my mechanic says it is leaking from the gasket again. 110,000 miles but has a PTO with 2500 hours .

Anyone else have issues with double failure of this $25 item/ $675 labor intensive job?

Radiator has a leak as well but at least that is original equipment.

bobkinnarney

I just had mine replaced on Dec. 28. I have a 2002 GMC. 91000 miles and 4300 hrs. on the butler. Which relates to about 241000 miles of engine use. My mechanic said that after about 90,000 or so miles those gaskets need replacing. I asked about the Dexron anti freeze causing this. He told me that the gaskets GM was using were a sort of plastic material. It was the heating and cooling cycle that causes the failure. The replacement gaskets are not of the same material and should work just fine. I guess it took GM a few years to figure this out. Also the intake manifolds have no bolts in the middle. There are 2 bolts near each corner but none in the middle. When mine first start leaking about a year ago the mechanic put a sealer in my radiator and that held for almost a year. Then the gaskets just started to get worse and had to be replaced. All is well now.

F

FB7777

thanks Bob the fact that its failing again at roughly the same mileage is what bothers me

a good investment considering I want to get another service year or two out of the van.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
fred boyle said:
Replaced the intake gasket on this van in 2005 with 60,000 miles and now my mechanic says it is leaking from the gasket again. 110,000 miles but has a PTO with 2500 hours .

Anyone else have issues with double failure of this $25 item/ $675 labor intensive job?

Radiator has a leak as well but at least that is original equipment.

Fred,
My 99 butler had the SAME issue at aprox. the same miles....
I had gasket replaced...then it "SUCKED" the gasket at 105K....
Cracked the head & FRIED the motor.... :evil:

My dealership Replaced the stock "Butler fan"...with a HIGH PERFORMANCE racing fan...!!!

The van ran MUCH cooler from that point on... :wink:

PS I also had water pump issues "under warranty", radiator leak & 2 fuel pump,s...

charles

I had my intake gasket replaced on my 98 Chevy a couple of years ago, ($700) It's leaking again.
I bought an 2009 Ford this time.
I'll see if it's any better.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
2001 Chevy 3500 packing a 350. 92000 miles and a direct drive WM 1200 with 4900 hrs. 239,000 equivalant miles. Never had to loosen a bolt on a major engine component.

Warped intake? Have you ever overheated the engine? What are your symptoms?

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I just want to know why it's costing you guys $700 to have it replaced? My mechanic quoted me 3.5 hours labor, his labor rate is $75 so $265 for labor, $50 for intake gasket kit $50 for antifreeze and new thermostat equals $365 total.

My van is a 2000 gmc 3500 with a 350 engine and WM Pro-1200 truckmount. I haven't had it changed yet so I suppose his price could change after he get's into it but he's never done that to me before.

I may even do it myself once things warm up a bit.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Joey Johnston said:
I just want to know why it's costing you guys $700 to have it replaced? My mechanic quoted me 3.5 hours labor, his labor rate is $75 so $265 for labor, $50 for intake gasket kit $50 for antifreeze and new thermostat equals $365 total.

My van is a 2000 gmc 3500 with a 350 engine and WM Pro-1200 truckmount. I haven't had it changed yet so I suppose his price could change after he get's into it but he's never done that to me before.

Joey,

I pay the mechanic more....because...I hate to see my motor hanging from a oak tree
on a chain..... :p

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
ancient Chinese secret....as well as getting the Fel-Pro gaskets(hi-perf)....
PAINT THEM...any color you lik...
paint them an' put them on wet..
torque and go!

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
HARPER said:
Joey Johnston said:

Joey,

I pay the mechanic more....because...I hate to see my motor hanging from a oak tree

Well that's very generous of you I pay my mechanic HIS rate that HE quotes me. $75 per hour is on the high end around here this mechanic is known to be one of the best in town, I have another mechanic (mobile mechanic)that I use for the simpler stuff and he only charges $45 per hour. By the way I come from the automotive industry and have known both of these guys from my time in the auto industry for upwards of 10 years and they both do excellent work and have never screwed me. Even the dealerships are only getting $85-90 per hour which would still put the job at less than $425, me thinks you guys are getting hosed.

Mike Draper

my radiator was just leaking as well. 93,000 miles, 2800 hrs. I figured for 200 bucks I would just buy a new radiator. I also purchases a dual high performance, electric cooling fan. Much, much nicer and cools better. I installed a gauge where I can control the temperature at which the cooling fan kicks on so I can keep it cooler in the summer and put it a little higher in the winter for more heat.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

GM knows the plastic intakes have a problem. If you go to a GM dealer parts, they will sell you the antifreeze tablets. They authorize these to be used, to control the leaks before they happen. Perhaps they will work after they happen.

Thx,
Dale

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Joey Johnston said:
HARPER said:
[quote="Joey Johnston":j8ax9ipa]I just want to know why it's costing you guys $700 to have it replaced? My mechanic quoted me 3.5 hours labor, his labor rate is $75 so $265 for labor, $50 for intake gasket kit $50 for antifreeze and new thermostat equals $365 total.

Joey,

Well that's very generous of you I pay my mechanic HIS rate that HE quotes me. $75 per hour is on the high end around here this mechanic is known to be one of the best in town, I have another mechanic (mobile mechanic)that I use for the simpler stuff and he only charges $45 per hour. By the way I come from the automotive industry and have known both of these guys from my time in the auto industry for upwards of 10 years and they both do excellent work and have never screwed me. Even the dealerships are only getting $85-90 per hour which would still put the job at less than $425, me thinks you guys are getting hosed.[/quote:j8ax9ipa]

Joey' I am Just "bustin on you"... :p

However...The "BOOK" calls for 12.5 hours "both side"...&...9hrs for one side...on a 5.7 motor..

I am not saying you aren't getting a deal..... :!:
I am saying...that some guy's clean @ 9.95 a room ....&...Others clean @49.95 a room.. :wink:

THERE IS A REASON FOR THE DIFFERANCE IN THE PRICE.....

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
There is a big difference between the 5.7 litre(350cc) and the 6 litre. Check the flat rate book for each.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
HARPER said:
Joey' I am Just "bustin on you"... :p

However...The "BOOK" calls for 12.5 hours "both side"...&...9hrs for one side...on a 5.7 motor..
cccccccccccccccccccvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
I am not saying you aren't getting a deal..... :!:
I am saying...that some guy's clean @ 9.95 a room ....&...Others clean @49.95 a room.. :wink:

THERE IS A REASON FOR THE DIFFERANCE IN THE PRICE.....

I know you're just bustin, it's all good.

I think you may have mis-understood what we are talking about though. We are talking about intake gaskets not head gaskets. All data is no where near 9-12 hours, if someone is telling you that for an INTAKE then they are lying to you. It's very difficult to find a "GOOD" mechanic who you can also TRUST it seems maybe you need to keep looking.

Edit: I just checked with a friend of mine. All data shows 5.6 hours labor for an intake on my 2000 gmc 3500 with a 5.7 engine.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
"I AM A DipShIt"... :oops:

All my post on this topic were about a "HEAD GASKET".....sorry Joey my BAD.. :!:

it is hell to get old... :(

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
HARPER said:
"I AM A DipShIt"... :oops:

All my post on this topic were about a "HEAD GASKET".....sorry Joey my BAD.. :!:

it is hell to get old... :(
wait till you need a drool cup......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom