Interlink/White Magic?

G

My local Interlink supplier (owner) said White Magic is going to out of business!

Is this true White Magic!

Are is he full of shit! or does he has to lie to sell a Hydramaster!

Bridgepoint dealers cant be trusted!!!!

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Is White Magic going out of business?

I suppose if the rumors get bad enough, they might. Such is true for any business.

If there is one thing I have learned, that the demise of any company rarely gets predicted accurately. Just about all the manufacturers are experiencing a rough patch in the current economic climate. White Magic has been weathering it the same as everyone else. The direct impact upon us has also been as negligible as everyone else. I do know that everything I am ordering from them is getting to us quite reasonably, and their customer service has been as excellent as ever. These would be good indicators. With Dan Jolly at the helm, they have a lot going for them.

I wish them well, and long life.

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
In my area, I do business with: Jon Don, TM's & Drying Sol's (Interlink affiliate) and North East Restoration & Truck Mount Supply. I bring my Steam Way to NE Rest. because he knows Steam Way's pretty well. He's a Cleanco disty and recently added White Magic.. not sure but I think WM left Interlink and went with NE Rest'n because they couldn't do the installs correctly and the WM owners were going crazy but I'm not 100% positive of the reason. Any time I've dealt with Jon Don, they've been great. My experience with Interlink not so much.

Nate, the owner of NE Restor'n, has been pretty busy. I was at his place today. They've sold 5 and installed 3 WM's, and sold and installed 1 Cleanco this month alone, on top of their other service/maintanence work. Nate had to run down to their shop and pick up a fresh water tank and joked the paint was still wet. They can't make the equipment fast enough.

Maybe it's a case of sour grapes for Interlink...I don't know. Maybe the business relationship just didn't work any more.

randy

Name
Randy
If there is one thing I have learned, that the demise of any company rarely gets predicted accurately.

SO TRUE ! Although I do remember catching a bunch of ______ for predicting that Steamway, Chemtex, Vortex & the other Biggee truck mount maker going down the tubes, 5 years ago on the blue board. To me it was just really obvious that none of these companies would make it as long term players. Steamway may claim to still be selling chemicals but the phone is answered with a recording 24/7 , that says it all they are gone. Chemtex is on the ropes, Chemspec is liquidating inventory for 10 cents on the dollar :mrgreen: direct to the end user, and Vortex has now been sold for what the 3-4th time ? A local supplier told me that White magic will be gone before the fall, they are running out of cash. The enormous amount of bad press they got recently probably didn't help. Personally I don't see Vortex or the other biggee truck maker (I already forgot their name) being around much longer. There is a very limited market for these units, tons of used ones on the market that don't seem to be moving, and we are in a time where "easy financing" is a thing of the past.

I think you are going to see a trending down of the equipment. When guys realize they don't need 300 degree water to clean carpet , paying $1600 a month for a unit/ truck makes little business sense. Financing will be tougher so start ups will be running more portables, and mid-level machines like the Prochem Legend or Judson TNT will become the standard.

Before things get back to "normal" we will see 3-4 major manufacturers disappear, a bunch of distributor downsize or fold and a few major consolidations. In good times 25% of carpet cleaners disappear, this year it will be more like 50%. That is a real opportunity for the operator that has his cost structure under control , adequate cash to coast through the rough months, and marketing in place that accommodates the value shopper of today. If you stick to trying to get .70 a square foot in today's market you will have a rough couple of years. The newbies will take your customers, and build a business with that reposed truck mount they bought for 25 cents on the dollar.

Name
jack zerkie
My local interlink Fort Myers Fl. Dropped white magic about 2 years ago due to lack of follow up of on new units sold and white magic not covering most problems. I had a new pro ha,ha 1700 in the early 92 and it was taken out of production soon after that.Then I paid for the repairs and it was still under warrenty. The day it was fixed I sold it Now own a Hydramaster thats another story. I ,would have tell the storys as fiction not as reality. If you own a 470D And have problems with it running, I have fixed mine and will tell you how to. Jack Z. 239-549-7701

Mike Draper

randy said:
If there is one thing I have learned, that the demise of any company rarely gets predicted accurately.

SO TRUE ! Although I do remember catching a bunch of ______ for predicting that Steamway, Chemtex, Vortex & the other Biggee truck mount maker going down the tubes, 5 years ago on the blue board. To me it was just really obvious that none of these companies would make it as long term players. Steamway may claim to still be selling chemicals but the phone is answered with a recording 24/7 , that says it all they are gone. Chemtex is on the ropes, Chemspec is liquidating inventory for 10 cents on the dollar :mrgreen: direct to the end user, and Vortex has now been sold for what the 3-4th time ? A local supplier told me that White magic will be gone before the fall, they are running out of cash. The enormous amount of bad press they got recently probably didn't help. Personally I don't see Vortex or the other biggee truck maker (I already forgot their name) being around much longer. There is a very limited market for these units, tons of used ones on the market that don't seem to be moving, and we are in a time where "easy financing" is a thing of the past.

I think you are going to see a trending down of the equipment. When guys realize they don't need 300 degree water to clean carpet , paying $1600 a month for a unit/ truck makes little business sense. Financing will be tougher so start ups will be running more portables, and mid-level machines like the Prochem Legend or Judson TNT will become the standard.

Before things get back to "normal" we will see 3-4 major manufacturers disappear, a bunch of distributor downsize or fold and a few major consolidations. In good times 25% of carpet cleaners disappear, this year it will be more like 50%. That is a real opportunity for the operator that has his cost structure under control , adequate cash to coast through the rough months, and marketing in place that accommodates the value shopper of today. If you stick to trying to get .70 a square foot in today's market you will have a rough couple of years. The newbies will take your customers, and build a business with that reposed truck mount they bought for 25 cents on the dollar.

People might have a tight budget, but I don't think that means they will want shity work from a cheap hack carpet cleaner (some might, but not all). More often than not, this is what you get witha cheap price. On our side of the problem it doesn't mean I will start buying cheap ass chemicals and equipment so I can save money, I'll still continue to purchase quality over cheap.

randy

Name
Randy
Mike Draper said:
randy said:

People might have a tight budget, but I don't think that means they will want shity work from a cheap hack carpet cleaner (some might, but not all). More often than not, this is what you get witha cheap price. On our side of the problem it doesn't mean I will start buying cheap ass chemicals and equipment so I can save money, I'll still continue to purchase quality over cheap.

I agree that people won't suddenly start desiring poor quality work, however there will always be a place for the low cost provider. In this economic climate the 3 rooms for $90 type operations will thrive. The " high end" segment of the market is shrinking right now, they have been hit hard in the real estate collapse. Recently I was in a $3,000,000 home, they were only cleaning 3 rooms but needed me to hold the check till Friday. Think of it this way: If you bought a $3,000,000 home 5 years ago and home values have dropped 50% you just lost $1,500,000. Tough situation to deal with. Much of the "high end" market was living way above their means, now they are looking for value. Maybe for the first time in their life.

I also will not be switching to junk chemicals or equipment but I do think you will see a bunch more of equipment makers in this industry disappear before this is all over.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom