Interview with Al Bradham 11-19-08

Name
Al
kmdineen said:
As an acquaintance of Chuck Dewald do you use the Vortex system and dry everything "in place" when ever possible?

Chuck is miss quoted on this very often. It is not that you dry in place, it is try as fast as you can WITHOUT doing in harm while drying. If you can do it in place than fine, just do it fast and safe.

But we do a lot in place. You must have the right equipment to do this.

Mikey P

Administrator
Well!

The nerve of some people.

I'll put up the rest of the questions and hopefully Al can come back later to answer them.

Thanks Mr Bradham!

Do you do any rebuilding?

Where is our industry heading? Do you see the independents continuing to get squeezed? How can an independent fight back?

Would you get in the long line of people who want to punch Lindquist in the throat?

Did you do any drying jobs just starting out before you were certified to the max?

Who has the best drying school.

Why don't you use Dri Eaz equipment?

What is your preferred brand of equipment.

Do you ever need a permit to go into areas to begin work?

Do you ever get price resistance from adjusters. How do you handle it?

Who bills your jobs?

Are you on any direct repair programs. What are your thoughts about these programs.

Can you sing better than Ken Snow?

Why would you spend valuable time with BDCCs?

Where do you see yourself and your company in 10 years.

If you were a tree what kind would you be?

Name
Al
I will answer all of these questions and other tomarrow. We had my biggest customer call with a broken springler head. The Golden goose laid another egg.

It will pay for my cruise we leave on Fri.

Thanks

WISE

Al--

Congrats on the Best of Summerville Award again this year. Nice work.

My question would be:

Can I have your AQS 1800? just kiddin--

seriously,

thanks for all your help over the years...I truly appreciate your willingness to help--regardless of the time of day/night.

WISE

Name
Al
Answers to Mikey P above.

First, I would like to thank everyone for their questions and not being too hard on me. Below are some of the questions that I could not answer last night because we had a large water loss that came in. We are presently on our way to Florida for our cruise over Thanksgiving. And thanks to the miracle of electronics, you are receiving this from I-95. 8)

Do you do any rebuilding?
Very little. We do it more to help special needs customers out, but the profit margins are very slim.

Where is our industry heading? Do you see the independents continuing to get squeezed? How can an independent fight back?
The industry is heading, just like it always has, wherever it wants. The perfered vendor systems that the insurance companies have put together are a great idea, but never are administered properly. The independents (the smaller guys) need to work in their own customer base to let the customer know their rights and the quality of service that the independents can give them. However, the smaller companies need to know their limitations… and either back away from a job that they’re not qualified to do, or create a friendship with another company that will make them shine in their customers’ eyes.

Would you get in the long line of people who want to punch Lindquist in the throat?
No. I stand in line for no man.

Did you do any drying jobs just starting out before you were certified to the max?
Yes. But to look back on those days, it’s very scary. Back then, we worked for a lot of apartments. They did not really care what we did as long as the tenant was happy (or didn’t yell lol). After much training, we found out what is right and what is wrong and no long work for any apartment complex on a regular basis. A man can only do as good of a job as he knows how to do.

Who has the best drying school.[
As many of the classes we attend you get out of class what you need for your business. I think at this point that I have attended every major class offered in the US and even on in Canada. My favorite is Chuck Dewalt’s class because he has a more hands-on approach. When you walk away, you will know how to dry a building and verify that it’s dry. Each class has it’s own appraoch. But, to me, Chuck’s class is the best.

Why don't you use Dri Eaz equipment?
Who says I don’t? We own around 75 of the Dri Eaz 2000’s and around 300 of the older style Turbo fans. I have never cared for their Axial fans, but I believe the Dehu’s and Turbo’s are great.

What is your preferred brand of equipment.
That depends on what I’m buying and what I’m going to use it for. As for Axial fans I use Gail Force and Force 9’s. Both are great and have their individual purposed. For LGR’s I use both the Dri Eaz 2000’s and the Pheonix 200’s. On the Dehu’s, I buy what I can get the best price on. On my larger Dehu’s, I like AQS, which has now been bought out by Pheonix.

Do you ever need a permit to go into areas to begin work?
This depends on what type of areas you are referring to. We have had some areas that we need a concealed weapons permit (haha). The biggest thing to remember when storm chasing is the required business liscence. If you work in Florida, you will have to team up with another company that already has a business liscenece there… or you will go to jail. Lisceneces will vary from state to state. This is definitely something to be very carefule about.

Do you ever get price resistance from adjusters. How do you handle it?
Over the years, you learn what is right and wrong. We stand our ground on our prices. At this point in our career, we get very little resistence. This is mainly because of documentation and presenting the bill in a professional manner. That’s not to say that some don’t try, but you can just say with a smile, “I understand how you feel, but my bill is based on facts, figures and documentation and we don’t change our bill based on your (the adjuster) feelings.”

Who bills your jobs?
There are three of us. Myself, my manager and I have a retired State Farm adjuster who works for us.

Are you on any direct repair programs. What are your thoughts about these programs.
We were on some programs, but we removed ourselves for every single one of them. We found that they were more headache than what they were worth. They ask you to follow your policies, which thye made up as they went along, and which were never in writing and then penelized for not following the rules. I do think, however, that a program that is properly adminsitered would be beneficial to the drying company, the homeowner(s), and the insurance company.

Can you sing better than Ken Snow?
NO DOUBT. Many years ago, I sang four years in the all state chior. I traveled over three years singing throughout the SouthEast. I still sing at weddings, churches, and, as I get older, funerals (luckily not my own yet).

Why would you spend valuable time with BDCCs?
I wish I knew what the abreviation stands for, but I don’t and am therefore not able to answer the question. But who said I would anyway?

Where do you see yourself and your company in 10 years.
We have recently opened up our second location and are looking at a third. I am not sure where this will take us. As long as I’m having fun at what I’m doing… and making money, we will keep growing.

If you were a tree what kind would you be?
Palm Tree: deep roots, can be flexible, very strong in the wind, and I’m a little ‘nuts’ also!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom