Ipad for business...

Becker

Name
Becker
I bought my son an Ipad for Christmas and I'm just dieing for him to unwrap it so I can play with it.. Ha Ha..

Anyways....
Does anyone here use it for business?
Are apps to limited?
What about portable invoice printing?

I can see a lot of positives to the Ipad in daily business with clients etc.....

What say you?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I dont use mine for business....for the life of me I just can't see a reason why....
there are tons of apps..some are OK but there seems to be more games then anything....
I use mine for logging repairs and part numbers.....calendars...things like that......

green gurl

The iPad is basically a larger version of the iPhone. You can't download software on it... And most carpet cleaning scheduling programs don't have an app ( at least the ones I know of ie: service monster). Also there are no USB ports to enable you to hook it up with a printer. You can't use any Microsoft programs on it... My advise would be to get a netbook.

Becker

Name
Becker
I guess my dreams are larger than the capacity of the unit.

I've heard QBs has a app for the ipad.. Have yet to confirm or see if it is capable of my needs.

But printing would be an issue with no usb..

Some of my web based applications would work fine with the 3g. Including square.

But I want a mobile unit that will handle all my needs.

A durable laptop with a wifi card might be the option.

In the mean time I will keep dreaming.

Err researching.

Becker

Name
Becker
My thought was...

Scheduling, both incoming phone calls, and my online orders.

Invoicing, notes, as I walk though house.

Demos.. ( videos )

Printing of invoices would be required, for those that don't have email to receive copy.

CC processing

On the go accounting...

Van mileage, machine and van maintenance etc.

A dock of some sort in van to complete a mobile office.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I like my Ipad but it lacks... USB ports, a camera everything i can do with it i can can do with my iPhone plus take photos and fits in my pocket in fact they are basically clones of each other the same apps, music, pictures,

if i was running QB software on more than 1 computer i would want them to run the same OS just because so i'd probably go with something PC based unless i was runnig a mac ?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
green gurl said:
The iPad is basically a larger version of the iPhone. You can't download software on it... And most carpet cleaning scheduling programs don't have an app ( at least the ones I know of ie: service monster). Also there are no USB ports to enable you to hook it up with a printer. You can't use any Microsoft programs on it... My advise would be to get a netbook.

Agreed.
Although it's cool to play with, it's limited as far as performing the business tasks you need, and running the business software you will have to run, or are already running.
There are really a lot of nice compact Windows based net-books out there. I would look into those, and even check out some new Windows 7 based tablets, although I think they have some way to go, then they would all be compatible with each other.
Having only one Apple based device will be a weak link in your system, if everything else you are using is windows based.

Becker

Name
Becker
I have an iphone..

Had a apple IMac, and looking at getting another.

( yes Mikey.. Stacy took it )

But for business I have always used windows...

Just looking for a all in one device to make daily record keeping easy on the go..

Oh and give a wow factor to the clients.........

fresh1

Use Keynote to compose the most amazing presentations on the Ipad, before and after photos, videos and have all your sales brochures just a touch away. Truly powerful and way more convenient than a dusty old lap top. I have had great reactions from customers who are impressed with the content and my presentations on the Ipad, I love the touch screen and the apps are cool to. The new os for ipad supports multi-tasking and wireless printing to enabled printers. I compose the invoice or estimate, have them approve it and then email it to them right on the spot.

doug

fresh1

I dont think people are wowed by anything that is pc based. The archos looks like a pc so it probably acts like a pc, clunky, bugy and unreliable. I do think ipad will have a usb in2011

Becker

Name
Becker
fresh1 said:
I dont think people are wowed by anything that is pc based. The archos looks like a pc so it probably acts like a pc, clunky, bugy and unreliable. I do think ipad will have a usb in2011

fresh1 said:

Using a PC?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Maybe this answer's your questions.

I have an USB and SD camera port (adapter) on my iPad as well (never use it tho).

Got a HP460 mobile bluetooth printer (Ron Werner has the same one), never used it, no need, clients love the PDF emails I send them. I'm 95% paperless, except for water losses which we have individual folders for work autho, etc.

A laptop won't replace an iPad, and the iPad will not replace a laptop, both have pros & cons. I do not miss the laptop (which I use @ the office).

IMG00037-20100917-0228.jpg

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
fresh1 said:
The archos looks like a pc so it probably acts like a pc, clunky, bugy and unreliable.

That's a pretty broad statement.
My new Sony Vaio is my 3rd, never a problem with any of them, and know enough to easily solve most software problems.
I agree Aplle makes some nice stuff, but if you haven't always been a Apple guy, it's very hard to make the switch.

rottenapple-150x150.jpg

fresh1

have you found a way to organize videos and photos into a folder? my son has a few videos on the ipad and they are right next to my work videos. I need to separate

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
fresh1 said:
have you found a way to organize videos and photos into a folder? my son has a few videos on the ipad and they are right next to my work videos. I need to separate

Yes I have, it's very tricky. It needs to be done using iTunes and having the iPad connected to your pc or mac. If you like, you can give me a call tomorrow and I'll walk you thru it. The os on the iPad won't let you do it if you try to go thru the iPad itself, once you figure out how to do it, it's fairly simple.

Ps...The iPad is the only "mac" product I own. One day I'd love an Imac or Macbook tho. 8)

fresh1

can you give me the abbreviated version? I know my way around Itunes pretty well, any tips would be much appreciated

thanks Doug

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
fresh1 said:
can you give me the abbreviated version? I know my way around Itunes pretty well, any tips would be much appreciated

thanks Doug

Check your PMs

dgargan

The new update on the iPad allows you to print wirelessly. As for folders just get mobile me and you can access anything the want from the iPad

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
green gurl said:

I concur

dell_inspiron_duo_1-580x317.jpg

Dell_Inspiron_Duo_Blue_Black_Flip_Netbook_Tablet_PC_Computers_Gadgets.jpg

Luke

For you guys using an iPad for invoices, what program did you create the invoice on? Numbers, Pages, or something else?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Simple invoices is well.. simple.. I'm trying out Invoice Robot... we don't do service monster... yet... Each work rather well.. But I'm thinking invoice robot will store and organize the invoices much better than trying to flip through all of the invoices at once... and you know doing email invoicing,, does get the customers email as well.

fresh1

Brian R said:
[quote="green gurl":2o6xs54y]The iPad is basically a larger version of the iPhone. You can't download software on it... And most carpet cleaning scheduling programs don't have an app ( at least the ones I know of ie: service monster). Also there are no USB ports to enable you to hook it up with a printer. You can't use any Microsoft programs on it... My advise would be to get a netbook.

I concur

dell_inspiron_duo_1-580x317.jpg

Dell_Inspiron_Duo_Blue_Black_Flip_Netbook_Tablet_PC_Computers_Gadgets.jpg
[/quote:2o6xs54y]
The whole idea for using apple products is so you dont have to use anything by Microsoft

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom