IR / thermal cameras?

Name
Nate W.
For the guys who use these cameras, I was to know about the "pip" mode. I've watched the online training aids and what not.... My question is, has the "picture in picture" mode make a difference in moisture mapping and data logging for insurance companies? Is it a make or break using the feature or just more convinence?

Im looking at the fir i50 cam. Pricey, but is it worth it?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
It just saves you from having to take two pictures.the price difference hasnt been worth it to most guys since the i5 is 1595 and the i7 is 1995 and the iPhone/blackberry/camera phone you already own is free :) much cheaper then buying a pip IR

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Nate it's just as John stated, of the three we own we only have PIP on the newest model. It is a nice feature though, I think if I were to purchase another camera I'd include it again. However if it is keeping you from buying one, I get it without.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Nate:

I'm a full-time Inspector, and Infrared Certified. I can tell you this for sure; all of the cameras will find temperture variations (possible moisture) about as well. The lower DPI units are just a little blurry. But you still must verify what you see with a moisture meter. So if you only need one to find moisture to help you speed up your dryng job, go with a bottom-line one for your frst camera.

PIP is a needed feature if your doing reports for later use to prove a point. In some Inspectors opinons the Ideal Heatseeker @ $3295 is one of your best deals on a camera with PIP and many more features. But the prices are dropping so fast, there may be something else better tomorrow.

Thx,
Dale

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dale is right about price, I think we paid $14,000.00 for our first camera, a few years later $12,000.00 and a couple of years ago $10,000.00 . Now you can buy cameras smaller, but with similar features for a fraction of what we've paid.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
where the thermal cams really really shine is on a water loss that happens above and rains down through the floor or floors above. I had a house recently that had water damage in the strangest places but the thermal cam was like a blood hound and found areas I would have never guessed. yeah a guy with a meter could have found it but honestly they would have had to spend half a day running their meter over every inch of the home and still may have missed it.

on a typical basement loss IMO the thermal cam isn't needed. one cool thing I was able to do is see where my injectidry was pumping HOT air into a wall cavity I was able to see the drying progress and it actually pulled water from around the corner where I would not have thought it would have. but I was able to see it working and instead of pulling it and demoing it on day 3 I left it there and by the next day it was bone dry.

Name
Nate W.
Dale said:
Nate:

I'm a full-time Inspector, and Infrared Certified. I can tell you this for sure; all of the cameras will find temperture variations (possible moisture) about as well. The lower DPI units are just a little blurry. But you still must verify what you see with a moisture meter. So if you only need one to find moisture to help you speed up your dryng job, go with a bottom-line one for your frst camera.

PIP is a needed feature if your doing reports for later use to prove a point. In some Inspectors opinons the Ideal Heatseeker @ $3295 is one of your best deals on a camera with PIP and many more features. But the prices are dropping so fast, there may be something else better tomorrow.

Thx,
Dale

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feed back. I kept putting off buying one and I don't think I can anymore. I'll just tape or attach a camera to the top of the unit and take a picture when using the cheaper camera for now. While data logging, has "pip" been a factor or help make you more creditable with insurance companies? I guess I just answered my own question.... lol...

Keep it coming.... I don't want the cheapest, just well built to last awhile. Simpler the better.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have a decent sized loss going right now 10- rooms, halls, entry and large dining. Sprinkler head broke from 2nd floor. You'd spent a life time trying to find out what was what without an IR camera.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i series is for mechanical applications do some more home work
and also flir just come out with the e series
cheaper and better

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
the e series is an awsome set of cameras including wifi that can send images just shot to an iphone or ipad so the tech can shoot to a project manager or the wdr managers, adjusters. so decisions can be made faster. i will be looking to get one. probably at least an e-40 or greater.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
IR20090102_0154-1.jpg

IR20090102_0154.png

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
somebody tell me am i reading this right
the new sensitivity on the new flir e 40 is as good
as a 10000 camera a month ago?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
This is why I think picture in a picture is much more powerful than just a digital and a thermal. Look at how you can see the moisture behind the painting, but with two pictures it loses the pop that picture in picture has.

IR20040819_11751.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IR20081231_0150.jpg

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Yes the E40 specs are about as good as some $1000 camera's a year ago.

But the Ideal heatseeker had about the same specs a year ago for $3500.

It kinda makes us feel real good if we bought before all of this.

I also want to buy again, but had proven that the Flir company's warranty STINKS. Has anyone here had a warranty claim on another brand, they were happy (unhappy) with?

Thx,
Dale

Back
Top Bottom