Is IICRC serious?

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I just received the Winter/Spring 2009 IICRC News in the mail. It has a short article entitled "IICRC Certified Technician Receives Carpet Cleaner of the Year Recognition".

Let me preface this by saying that I mean no disrespect for the cleaner mentioned in the article. He seems to have his ducks in a row. Good for him to be able to use this marketing angle.

The article states that the cleaner was voted number 1 by his customers in Solano county, California. I would hope that my customers rate me as number 1 instead of number 2 or 3. I guess if I was not number 1, they wouldn't be my customers. Maybe they use me as their cleaner because I am cheaper, not because I offer unmatched service and quality, if they rated me less than number 1.

There is no explanation of how this decision was made, how many voted, or how the voters were contacted or if they voted voluntarily if they had nothing better to do.

It has been my opinion (correct me if I am wrong) that if you call enough of your contacts, friends, relatives, to get them to vote, you could probably be number 1. We have a couple of guys that advertise that they have at some time been voted number 1, though their reputations leave a lot to be desired.

Not sure if I made my point well, but I would have enjoyed the article more if it was just about the cleaner being certified and 20 years old, etc. and didn't mention what appears to be a somewhat bogus award.

Now watch. Someone will throw the facts at me that prove me wrong and I will have egg on my face. But it's better to know for sure what is true and what is false.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Don't be jealous Loren. The kid won fair and square. He has satisfied hundreds of customers in the 11 months he has been in business. The runner-up was a guy working from the trunk of his '86 Bonneville who blew his tranny in October and wasn't able to continue for the last 3 months. 3 bait and switchers rounded out the top 5.

R

R W

I was voted best in the community in a suburb of Youngstown a few years ago, and I probably only did 5 jobs there. I didn't know about it until a friend called and said my name was in the paper as "Voted the best cleaner". It's all in who takes the time to vote.

Jimbo

If the cleaner was not on Waldo's list....his new award means nothing!

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Do you think they may be similar to this ???

Down under, there is the Australian Carpet Cleaning Institute

http://www.theacci.com.au/contact.htm

There is also a franchise group called My Carpet Cleaner.

http://www.mycarpetcleaner.com.au/mycarpetcleaner.htm

If you check out the above site, you will see that My Carpet Cleaner was given an award a couple of years ago by the Australian Carpet Cleaning Institute.

If you go to their contact details, you will see their mail address.

http://www.mycarpetcleaner.com.au/mycontact.htm

Now if you go back to the acci..................

http://www.theacci.com.au/contact.htm

Ooooooooh, that's strange, they are both located in the same post office box, in the same town, in the same state. :shock: :shock:

Something smells fishy and I don't think the electricity has gone out :lol: :lol: :lol:

The world goes round ad nothing really changes I guess :(

Ooroo,

:roll:

PS :::Did I mention that I believe from what I have been told, that Leo Powell runs both shows :?: :shock:

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Well, I am all for IICRC education and the certification is a marketing bonus. I remain a certified Master and have become a Certified Firm.

I don't believe any of this will make or break my business. Many cleaners that are not certified make more money than I do.

But if being voted something is being used as a justification for certification, then why are non certified cleaners being voted number 1 when IICRC cleaners in the same area are not?

I am sure if I paid for it, I could become Diamond Certified. Right now they only list 3 Diamond Ceritifed cleaners out of hundreds in the county.

I might even become an "ethical cleaner" if I wasn't so cheap. :p

I guess I am just a miserable old grouch who is upset I didn't get voted number one. :wink:

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
I would like to comment on this. Loren is no joke when he grabs the wand. Mikey P stole my password last time so dont get too hyped up on the las Top 25. This kid IIRC is talking about couldnt even carry Lorens jock. Day in Day out Loren is a top cleaner. The guy cleans with some serious HEAT and is a top notch dresser. The Ladies start to druel when Loren arrives on their door step. The first Mikeyfest I did not see Loren drink a beer. I had no time for him. The 2nd fest he started choking down beers with me. Soon after are conversation I realized he was Top Twenty Five cleaner. IIRC is missing the boat by not choosing Loren. I am working on a letter from them right now. Stay tuned for the new list coming out.

Golden Boy

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Most of the top cleaners in the nation have roots from Iowa. The Top Dawg Mikey P was born in Iowa. Tell your son-in-law he is on the radar @ #31. Tell him Pre-Vaccing is a must if he ever wants to see the Top Twenty Five. My people are always watching.

Golden Boy

TimP

You mean to tell me it wasn't Mikey who won??????

If he didn't win you know it was rigged. right?????

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Waldo how can I improve on my top 25 rating to move up to #1 and get the million dollar contracts in the industry mags and speaking engagements?

steve r

hey i was born in clinton iowa,lol.

around here the guy who buys the most advertising is voted number one in that print.ill be there soon, i plan on doing more advertising this year.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I just talked to Tom Hill of the IICRC and he is in no way the ass I expected him to be.
He told me that the guy is not the IICRC carpet cleaner of the year just a press release from his area.

He said he would never give that distintion to anyone because anyone certified should be the best carpet cleaner out there.

It was a very enjoyable open conversation and he had no hidden agenda. It was basically your certified you should be the best

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I just talked to Tom Hill of the IICRC and he is in no way the ass I expected him to be.
Tom's one of the sharpest and most helpful guys in the industry. I'm glad you were able to have a talk with him and pick up on a little of that. He runs the office at the IICRC, but doesn't control the political moves there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom