Is it a better strategy to go out and give a qoute?

T

Tony Reyes

Who here has structured their business in such a way that you go out and look at the job first (or have someone else go) Do you find the extra time and gas to be worth the difference that you make in seeing the job first? Thanks

Anthony Reyes
Healthy Home Carpet Cleaning

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Tony Reyes said:
Who here has structured their business in such a way that you go out and look at the job first (or have someone else go) Do you find the extra time and gas to be worth the difference that you make in seeing the job first?
Ahh, Anthony. Good to see you posting here even though be warned- this can be a rough and tumble place. In your innocence you posted a question that is right up there with "should you pre-vacuum?" for it's "blood on the tracks" potential.

Oh, what the heck. I'll jump in first. And the answer is ...

IT ALL DEPENDS. On what, you say? I'm glad you asked.

1. How busy are you? If you are a one-man show and have all the work you will ever want why would you go begging for more? A related question would be, "How busy do you want to be?" as in do you want to grow beyond being an owner-operator? Even dyed-in-the-wool phone pricing people will admit they lose more jobs on the phone than if they go quote in person. (Well, most will ...)

2. What type of pricing model do you follow? Obviously it is going to be much more difficult to quote square foot pricing over the phone versus "room pricing".

3. How profitable is your pricing? If you are barely covering your cost of producing the job the budget may not all for a separate trip to pre-inspect.

4. How scattered are your jobs? There are practical limits on how far you can drive for a pre-inspection.

5. What does your market want? Some customer's lives are so hectic they don't want a separate pre-inspection.

After you have pondered these points, Tony, here is a page straight from your SFS class workbook on some important advantages of making a separate pre-inspection on most FIRST TIME clients. I believe you attended SFS in 2007 so the pre-inspection section would have been on Wednesday afternoon in your class workbook. (You will see many other successful operators disagree with these conclusions and that is fine.)

1. More jobs booked - There can be little debate that you are going to have a
higher closing percentage in person versus the anonymity of the telephone.

2. Fewer misunderstanding- We won’t say that customers lie over the phone. So let’s just
say they may be “overly optimistic” in estimating room sizes and area layouts.

3. Higher initial job tickets - This one alone will probably justify the extra cost of many
pre-inspections. In the relaxed “consultant atmosphere” of a pre-inspection the inspector and
homeowner can discuss priorities and evaluate additional cleaning. This allows you to have …

4.More efficient job scheduling - Be honest here. How many times have you arrived at a
job that over the phone you thought would take two hours and it ran almost twice that long? So
what happened to your next customer waiting for your arrival? And a technician facing an already
overbooked day can hardly be expected to sell additional work, which leads us to …

5. Less hassle and stress for your techs- Lets cut to the chase. We’ve already
learned that most technicians are scared of the customer. And they certainly find it difficult to
“sell” to the homeowner. By pre-inspecting the job, you allow your employees to focus on what
they are good at- cleaning the carpet, which means …

6. Much faster production- If the job is pre-inspected, pre-priced and written up
ahead of time, your technicians can “hit the ground running”. Good for them and good for the
customer. On the other hand, we recognize that not every job can or even should pre-inspected …

7. $35,840.00- If the above points don’t convince you to pre-inspect most
jobs, then just consider it as an investment toward future Cheerleader referrals from the person on
the phone which as we have already proved can easily meet the $35,840.00 amount. Always remember, if you don’t book the job, you will never Make the Cheerleader!

Remember, Tony, the above points don't mean you are going to make a separate trip to pre-inspect all your jobs. We "sorted" ours by pre-qualifying over the phone. The secret is to qualify your prospects during the initial call by
using your phone format to interview the caller. Jobs that I did not pre-inspect include:
a. Previous clients
b. Urgent jobs
c. Small jobs
d. Most rental move-outs
e. Work located far away

After a few years I found we only pre-inspected 20 to 25% of our jobs due to repeat business, etc and for me the investment was well worth it. Plus if you are a new business what else do you have to do? Sit and wait for the phone to ring?

But as I said reasonable people can agree to disagree and there are some very successful companies that would not go pre-inspect Bill Gate's mansion. It is over the phone or the highway!

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS One important point, Tony. All first time clients require a "pre-inspection" if only for pricing purposes. The only thing this thread will be bickering about is "WHEN" you perform it- in a separate visit OR right before you unroll the hoses. Either way, you better be darn sure your pre-inspect in such a way that you get the job! Here is the script I developed, tweaked and followed for over 20 years. (I closed well over 95% of the "estimates" I went out on.)

http://sfs.jondon.com/1829/resources/sp ... -that-sell

At the end of the day, Tony, I would recommend what a very successful business man told me years ago when I was indecisive on a certain business tactic. He said, "Steve, try it for a week." Well, duh! So you can debate something endlessly on internet discussion forums OR you can go out and test it for yourself in your area. Sounds smart to me!

T

Tony Reyes

Damn Steve. That answer was great. Thank you very much.

Anthony Reyes
Healthy Home Carpet Cleaning

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I give an estimate over the phone to homeowners/renters, explaining that I will give a definate price when I view the job, if I get it.

I also tell homeowners that I will "Guesstimate" a little on the high side to cover any stains that may take extra time.

If the carpet is relatively good, I lower the price, this I also tell them.

Marginally.

In the case of commercial work, I always visit, take measurements & photos, point out any problem areas and email a quote the same day.

If I can talk them into letting me clean a small section of the carpet, (always the dirtiest part), I do a free demo there & then.

This usually clinches the deal.

Hope this helps.

Shorty Down Under

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Shorty,
In the case of commercial work, I always visit, take measurements & photos, point out any problem areas and email a quote the same day.

What are you taking in to these job estimates and what type of apparel are you wearing. Forms, brochures, take measure spotter etc?

Thanks

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
We call them dress pants, long slacks, not cargo type pants, also decent shoes and button shirt, all in our company colours with name.

For measuring, I have a Fluke411D Laser distance meter, good for 100'

This is much more accurate than the ultra sonic I used to use, and quicker than the wheel which I still carry in the van.

I also have my own forms made up that lists:

Job / Address / Contact / Land line / Mobile / Email / M2 / Hours / Date / Completed / Price / CONCERNS HWE

The above is for a large contract cleaning company that I sub for.

Land Line = normal phone

Mobile = cell phone

Hours = hours on site

Concerns = self explanatory

HWE = If it is heavy with soil and I have to hot water extract

I also have another form which is on my laptop for all commercial work with two extra colums, length and width just before the M2 (square metres).

For the formal quote, I take no brochures or spotters, etc;

I do have a netbook and I shall be setting that up with different photos of before and after photos to use like a photo album with each business' agreement.

Shorty Down Under

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
That is about what I have but I have the bosch laser measurer and wear my uniform which is black pants, black logo'd polo with xtreme t-shirt underneath and cap. Colors are changing to reflect the logo change in the company this month. I am going to add some of the info on the form that you have there that I don't currently have. I don't take a camera but will now, since I bougt the cimex I am looking into bidding some of that. We also measure the VCT and do that in alot of plants.

Thanks again.

If anyone else would like to throw in some commercial bidding ideas I would love to hear it

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Shark said:
If anyone else would like to throw in some commercial bidding ideas I would love to hear it
Greg,
The very best thing I ever did on commercial sales was move myself into a "consultant" role. The way I did it was ask if they would give me a "tour" and as I did so I pulled out my "Commercial Carpet Analysis" (CCA) form on a clipboard. This sort of "formalized" the process and made both myself and the prospect feel like we were doing something important.

I don't know if we had released the CCA form back in '09 when you were at SFS in Roselle. But if you don't have it in your manual you (or anyone else) can download it for free right here:

http://sfs.jondon.com/1972/resources/pa ... t-analysis

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I will also timidly state that I found commercial prospects treated me with more respect when I wore a dress shirt and a (horror of horrors!) a tie! I know some of you would rather live in poverty than dress up and as I always say, "We all make choices"! But I was willing to sink down to the level of corporate America and dress like them if it helped me get the job. It is amazing what a total lack of pride will do to a guy.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I didn't all Steve's post, so forgive me if I'm being redundant .

I'm SURE I can be more brief though....

it depends on your pricing structure .

if it's "middle of the road" pricing, no need to.
Hone your phone skills and learn the right questions to ask, and you'll be golden giving over the phone estimates

if you're in the "hi-roller" price model, in-home may be a better option

Com always gets an on-site estimate.
There's too many variables as to what they want/need as well as different configs of offices .
One might be wide open with lots of long wide halls, the other might be full of PITA tight spaced cubicles that slow production

..L.T.A.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I get alot of commercial haven't had to chase any but what I am doing what I didn't before is I am picking up checks after the jobs rather than waiting in the mail. It is one way to keep my receivables down and while I do that I call the surrounding companies and am going to do the walk throughs.
I built a solid relationship with a VCT genius and so I am selling alot of that when I get the carpets so I am looking to fine tune my skills.
Personally right now my suit wearing days are past until I can fit back in the closet full that I own.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
meAt said:
I'm SURE I can be more brief though....
Ouch, Larry. That hurt! :)

You're at 119 words- I was at 204 above and was pretty proud of myself!

BTW, I pretty much agree with your points. It all gets back to how much value do you put on developing a "Lifetime Customer"? If a cleaner is willing to lose a sizable percentage by pricing over the phone then more power to them.

My market was small enough (both population and area wise) it just made sense for us to pre-inspect most of our first time customers.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Remember that I get paid a nickel per word by Jon-Don for everything I post on the Internet. (Not really.)

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Commercial bids = Suit, Jacket, Tie. I win a lot of them over with my irresistible charm and amaze them with an incredible free test cleaning of their worstest area of concern. I seem to loose their interest when it comes to pricing. Managers like us, bean counters do not...

176cb4ad4cc0fd4e17ae.jpg

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I agree with Newman about commercial,

I have found that when I started doing a encap demo for commercial bids my closing ratio went way up along with my rates.

Jasper always says, "A presentation without a demonstration is just a conversation."

As far as residential. I very rarely do an estimate prior to performing the work.

Most of my callers are previous clients, referrals or for other reasons they have called me specifically to perform the work.

Price is not really an ussue.

Quality, trust, reliabilaty and experience is what they are looking.

They just want a ballpark.

A separate trip for an estimate would be an unnecessary inconvenience.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Steve Toburen said:
If a cleaner is willing to lose a sizable percentage by pricing over the phone then more power to them.

I'd probably agree with "most" of what you said in your LONG posts, Steve
if I'd make it thru a WHOLE one

but the wild card that rarely (if ever) gets mentioned...
It depends MOST on the salesman doing the presentation
whether in-home or not

some guys sell more Kirbys than others, even though they were given the same training and tools.

There's a reason Joe Polish is where he is today, while the majority of "Polishites" (or Howardites for that matter) are far below them and always will be

having said that, i do understand getting "in the door" for allowing the greater opportunity to sell-sell-sell every bit of service and package under the sun available .

I also know subtle psychological manipulation is best done in person ...for the very "skilled" salesman anyway

..L.T.A.

steve r

for new commercial jobs i always look at them so i can measure and things like that. i just dont know how else toprice it and i like my customers to see me and talk face to face.

residential it all depends.im a one man operation but have occasional helpers. most of my work is repeat but when its not it still depends. i get a lot of calls for one or two rooms and i typically shoot them a price on the phone. but when they have a hard time describing the work i like to see it first especially when they are getting me confused on the size of the whole job or if i just feel i need to see it i will ask if they want me to come out. sometimes they say they just want a phone quote so ill do my best to oblige them.

so i guess im saying it depends on the customer and what thier wants and needs are.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Shark said:
my uniform which is black pants, black logo'd polo with xtreme t-shirt underneath and cap.

Greg, I come from the old school.

I never wear a hat or cap inside anyones house or business out of respect for those there, especially women.

It may be OK over in the 'states to wear headgear, but even at Connections I felt uncomfortable wearing a cap there.

I'm always slightly amused to see the kids with their caps on backwards, and holding their hands on their foreheads to shade their eyes from the sun. shiteatinggrin

Shorty Down Under

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I give in home quotations. I tell the potential clients that I prefer coming over so I can address their concerns and ones that I see. There are no surprises for me and none for them.
Also, by driving out in my smaller vehicle for the quote, I can determine where to park the big truck and how best to access the house. Some places in my area have some tight parking.

I measure with a Sonin sonic measuring tool with a laser light. I have a laptop and portable printer, enter in all the contact information, room sizes and prices, talk about the price and add-ons, then I can print out a clean coloured quotation for them. I used to write it on a quote/workorder on a clipboard but if they wanted any changes it would get all crossed out and a messy. I also print it on heavier paper to give that different tactile feeling when they hold it.

If I can, I prefer to quote ahead of time. Steve hit on most of the best reasons.

I've a job on Tues that I haven't seen or quoted ahead of time, the client says I'll need a long hose run so I need to go boyscout prepared, ie ready for anything.
I'm doing a quote in the morning for a lady that phoned today. She asked if I gave a price over the phone or if I needed to see it. She has no problems with me coming over. I've cleaned in this neighbourhood many times, she had seen the truck. I know the house layouts, but I still prefer to see it ahead of time.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I never wear a hat or cap inside anyones house or business out of respect for those there, especially women.
one of the policies I am rethinking when bidding. I need th cap for work trust me

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
Shorty Down Under said:
... even at Connections I felt uncomfortable wearing a cap there.

I'm always slightly amused to see the kids with their caps on backwards, and holding their hands on their foreheads to shade their eyes from the sun. shiteatinggrin

Shorty Down Under
But Shorty, you were so cute at Connections. The hit of the show. Really.

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I'm always "slightly amused" to see the kids today wearing the baggy jeans with the WAISTBAND down at their crotch and the ZIPPER down around their knees. This convoluted git-up causes them to sort of prance/waddle down the street. Well, whatever works ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom