Is silicone protector yellowing a real issue?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
It was brought up to add the subject to the IICRC app but if I can't find Pemberton writing about it or anything on Google, is it a real issue?

That’s a good article, and while it outlines issues that are primarily garment related, there is merit to a lot of the data.

I haven’t seen issues with silicones since the early 90s. Silicones are still used, especially in the “designer applicator market”, but it’s my understanding that these silicones are of a “better” or at least different type than we encountered decades ago.

Tim Nelson from Fiberseal might be a good person to contact. Do you have his information?

Reactions: Nomad74

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Not much of an issue today because the vast majority of the silicone carpet protector industry died from their yellowing issues. It wasn't the silicone itself, it was the added "UV blocker" that turned yellow and could not be removed.
I remember being told way back then that Fibreseal was changing over to fluorchemical back in the 80s due to these yellowing issues; many others just went out of business to avoid paying for all of the ruined furnishings.

I don't think anyone is adding UV blockers to silicone anymore, so the biggest problem with is applying it to fluorochemically treated fibers. It becomes a sticky mess that causes rapid soiling and requires the use of strong solvents to remove. Typically the carpet will have to be replaced.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Mikey P

Administrator
Not much of an issue today because the vast majority of the silicone carpet protector industry died from their yellowing issues. It wasn't the silicone itself, it was the added "UV blocker" that turned yellow and could not be removed.
I remember being told way back then that Fibreseal was changing over to fluorchemical back in the 80s due to these yellowing issues; many others just went out of business to avoid paying for all of the ruined furnishings.

I don't think anyone is adding UV blockers to silicone anymore, so the biggest problem with is applying it to fluorochemically treated fibers. It becomes a sticky mess that causes rapid soiling and requires the use of strong solvents to remove. Typically the carpet will have to be replaced.
This would have been for the Upholstery section, which I suspect would have been all the same issues.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
It seemed that most of the companies we tried to help back then were bringing us pricey area rugs. It may have been easier back then to reupholster furniture and buy the cheap rugs. I was able to talk both Fabrica and Stark into replacing some rugs at cost for local cleaner/silicone applicators when we couldn't remove the yellowing.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We did touch up work for a few of the furniture stores back then. They had brought a divan they wanted cleaned, to freshen up since it had been on display for quite some time.

When they picked it up they sprayed it before loading it into the truck. It was ridiculous the amount of product they used. They soaked it and the ground around. It's no wonder they had resoiling and tacky issues. Some of it was self inflicted.

Last edited:

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Same can be said for using cleaning products that contain optical brightners?

Certified brand used to sell optical brightner so you could add it to your cleaning solution.

Reactions: Mikey P

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Same can be said for using cleaning products that contain optical brightners?
Yep. I understand that Resolve stopped using them. It took a long time, so hopefully it cost them some money.

We used Prochem's Dry Slurry as our main on location cleaning product until they started adding brighteners and we started seeing problems. I dropped the product because Joe told me everyone else loved the new product and they weren't changing it for me. A few months later I got a call from the distributor to tell me they'd stopped adding brighteners, but by that time we'd found another product we liked.

I still remember the trade magazine ads, (Now, With No Optical Brighteners!)

I feel the same way about all the manufacturers getting on the peroxide train today.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We use a privately made product that removes a damaging component of a major brand extraction product. The could be peroxide, d'limonene, or some other marketing additive.

HydraMaster's Clear Water Rinse as a rinse agent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom