Is this rug damaged?

tim

sorry for the large picture, I resized it in photobucket and it doesnt seem to work! Can a rug expert please tell me what kind of rug this is and if it is damaged? It appears to have snagged yarns all over the surface. Any information and how to fix it would be appreciated!
rugpictures007.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Not damaged, but not well finished. If you look closely at the last picture you'll see a lot the side of fibers (the brighter spots) in the nap. These are fibers that are folded into the nap and likely missed being clipped at point of manufacture. In use or with vacuuming they'll pop up. Just use some napping shears to trim them off.

Also, silk is pretty slippery and tufts are more easily pulled up by animal claws than wool tufts.

tim

has been cleaned in the past but we havent cleaned yet. Any tips on how to clean it? what it is worth? doesnt sound like I want to use the rug badger!

Name
I'm Rick James
tim said:
has been cleaned in the past but we havent cleaned yet. Any tips on how to clean it? what it is worth? doesnt sound like I want to use the rug badger!

Whenever you have to ask how to clean a rug online its best to take said rug to a experienced professional company that deals with silk rugs. I think a certification class regarding area rugs is prudent if you are in the rug cleaning business. I dont want my mechanic to repair my engine if he is not 100% sure on how to do it. Because some of these rugs cost the same as an engine in some cases the car itself.

For example, brian from DA Burns posted his rug cleaning plant and I have a strange feeling you cant get something clean like he can with a rug day spa.

tim

Thanks for the advice and I know what you mean. I am information gathering with this post to identify the rug, see if the loose ends was normal and see if there was any advice to clean the rug fairly safely or if I should walk away. Our area has one well known rug cleaner but he is not very quick, several weeks to clean so I do what I can, when I can and walk away when I am over my head. Havent had to buy a rug in 5 years but Im sure it's coming! I cleaned several rugs for this client already, a wealthy HSN marketer. Rug cleaning is difficult. Just getting certified doesnt make you an expert, the experience does. It is difficult to get experience and not ruin rugs in the process. I think some industry leaders oversimplify the process and others scare alot of cleaners away from EVER cleaning rugs. I am trying to be somewhere in the middle.

colin fitch

Pakistan Peshawar

The Great Oz has answered your 2 other questions[better than i could]

I would like to add that the rug looks like it has been tea washed[to give it an antique appearance]the use of spotters and cleaning can sometimes partially remove the tea wash
process leaving the rug looking patchy.

Test all dyes especially the red.

tim

I haven't charged them yet, I charged $3 foot for the first rugs I cleaned for them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom